My horror story exploded and went viral, then won a contest and got a movie deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started posting here a while back when I first began writing horror. I've come back to tell you about what's going on with me!
I submitted a short horror story to NoSleep on Reddit, and it went viral. A few entertainment websites picked it up, including Storypick.
Then, I won the Best Horror Story of April 2016 contest on NoSleep, and was contacted by a few film production companies, an agent, and a few lawyers.
I'm now in the midst of negotiating a contract for a film deal. Also, I successfully crowdfunded the story and am adapting it into a novel.

If you want to read it, here it is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/4fd2lr/my_romantic_cabin_getaway_with_my_fiancee_isnt/

Be warned, it's written in a "totally true" style, so it's intentionally conversational. On NoSleep, everything is ostensibly true, and therefore not very literary.

And my author page is http://www.facebook.com/felixblackwellbooks in case you wanted to see what's up with all that.

Thanks for all the advice and inspiration <3

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Just read the story. Nice. That was creepy as heck. I love the whole concept of r/nosleep - the mingling of fiction and nonfiction where readers are asked to suspend disbelief and treat all stories as true. You don't necessarily know that a story is fictional until it turns into armies of murder zombies.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, that's scary. Even though I'm reading it knowing it's fiction I might actually have to stop for a bit to recover. (And I'm only on part 2.)

Well done!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shall start name dropping immediately.

Seriously, that's so cool! We're proud to know you.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

That was a really creepy story.... I don't know why I read it. I'm not supposed to read or watch even moderately scary things.

The atmosphere is good for it today. It's overcast, and while I was reading, it was severely storming outside. The wall in my office is all windows. Because of the weather, very few people are here, so it's quiet, too. Then I had to go to the bathroom, right in the middle of one of very chilling cabin scenes... The bathroom was dark but the light popped on when I opened the door because we have motion-sensing lights. They're supposed to be flipped to On all the time, but every once in a while, someone bumps the switch (it's weirdly at hip level) when they exit the bathroom.

Doing my... ah, business... I could hear all sorts of voices and movements, including someone walking heavily on tile, which is unusual because the whole office is carpeted, except for the bathroom and break room. You can hear things through the pipes, though, from other floors, so that's what it was. But there was this walking on the tile thing going on, setting a methodical pace but not really getting anywhere apparently. It was giving me the creeps, and then it abruptly stopped. I listened for it to start up again, and that's when all the lights in the bathroom suddenly went out (because I'd neglected to turn the switch to On-On when I entered and it couldn't "see" me in the stall).

I screamed... at work. Thanks.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read a lot of horror in recent years, it used to be my go to genre. That was seriously creepy. Well done :)

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I'm afraid to read it, but Congratulations!!!!

I don't know how to make the happy snoopy dance emoji. But I'm really happy for you!!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I'm going to have to read this. In the morning. With all the lights on.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
It's 3:41 pm on a sunny day, and I am glancing nervously over my shoulder as I read. Thanks for that (read that in a voice that is somehow both sarcastic and genuine).

And congratulations!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Galumph.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Argh WHY did I read it??! No sleep is right! I love the way the story is affected by the audience...really nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.