• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TCM reviews

Judi Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I received the following e-mail from TCM reviews and would like to know if they are legit. I'd take it at face value, but I've been phished twice this year already (at least they tried to phish my accounts). If anybody knows anything about them, please let me know. I don't even know why I got it, since I'm not a writer, but if it's legit I'll pass it along to a friend who writes.
I looked on Preditors & Editors, and on the index here and didn't see anything on reviewers.
JB

=========
THE MESSAGE:
"I am founder and editor for a book/ebook/audio book review site called TCM
Reviews at http://tcm-ca.com. We average 150,000 hits per month (and growing) and have sixty reviewers from Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Our policy is to complete reviews in a reasonable amount of time (weeks not months)and provide quality reviews written by individuals who understand the target audiences of their particular area(s)of expertise.
Tami Brady
TCM Reviews
http://tcm-ca.com

================

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Judi Bee said:
I received the following e-mail from TCM reviews and would like to know if they are legit. I'd take it at face value, but I've been phished twice this year already (at least they tried to phish my accounts). If anybody knows anything about them, please let me know. I don't even know why I got it, since I'm not a writer, but if it's legit I'll pass it along to a friend who writes.
I looked on Preditors & Editors, and on the index here and didn't see anything on reviewers.
JB

=========
THE MESSAGE:
"I am founder and editor for a book/ebook/audio book review site called TCM
Reviews at http://tcm-ca.com. We average 150,000 hits per month (and growing) and have sixty reviewers from Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Our policy is to complete reviews in a reasonable amount of time (weeks not months)and provide quality reviews written by individuals who understand the target audiences of their particular area(s)of expertise.
Tami Brady
TCM Reviews
http://tcm-ca.com

================

The website looks reasonable, and they do review and publish reviews FREE. There charges for other services seem reasonably price. I'd say if you have a mainstream publisher, you do not need them, but it might be usedful if you are PODing or otherwise self-publishing.

Regards,
Scott

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
TCM is one of many, many, many online review sites. They don't take your money, they do post a review of your book. If you have an e-copy there isn't anything to lose. They seem to be active and growing--the website is improving with each upgrade. If you want to limit how many review sites you use (e.g. if you are sending paper copies) then its a matter of looking at them all and asking around to see which pull in the most readers and generate some sales.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Such online "reviewers" don't come up much because 1) most folks recognize they're worthless because they don't reach the people who actually buys books. 2) Those that don't recognize that aren't savvy enough to ask about them before they buy into the “I’ll be seen by millions!” hype.

Case in point:

Completed reviews will be posted on the TCM Reviews website where they will be permanently viewable and searchable by the general public, our regular readers, other authors, and publishers.
Have you ever gone to this site for a review? Bought a book because of their review? Even heard about this site before they spammed you? Regardless, the target audience to achieve an appreciable increase in sales would be buyers for bookstores. They don't read sites like these.

Also, why would a publisher visit a review site for POD and ebooks? This is bait for the self-published author to think they might be Discovered by a Big Publisher. You’d have a greater chance of being stuck by lightning, since the only "publishers" who troll such sites are vanities looking for marks to spam.

Cover image prompts on the TCM Reviews Homepage (For Adults Only page for adult literature) will link to this review for one week. New reviews will also be advertised in TCM Reviews Newsletter (TCM Reviews Newsletter- Adult Version for adult titles), our free newsletters.
See above. Also, their service is to give you a thumbnail of your cover on their front page for a week. Big whup.

Individuals wanting to have their review Posted on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, or other offsite locations, those wanting to take advatage of our Featured Book Promotions, and those wishing to donate books for Contests are asked to look at our for pay Promotional Packages.
Ah, here's the real deal: you gotta pay to have any chance for the "review" to be seen by anyone who might buy your book. Unfortunately, judging from the half-a-dozen I flipped through, the “reviews” are little more than a plot summary and a "this was a great read, buy it!"

Useless at best; a waste of money at worst.

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to send them your book it isn't going to hurt, but I can't imagine anyone coming to the site to read the reviews. You've never heard of it, right? Neither has anyone else. So to answer your question: it looks perfectly harmless.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They do *not* charge for reviews and must aim to get readers for their google ads at least. I see no way for this to be a scam at all if you just submit a book for free review. The book with reviews posted range from self-published to moderately sized traditional publishers.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
ETA: This is just to relate my own experience with Tami Brady.

Tami Brady used to write reviews for Round Table Reviews. Last year I requested that a review she had written for a title I published be removed as it was obvious that she had not read the e-book at all. She had reviewed a couple of other e-books I had published and the reviews were poorly written. I'd suggest reading a sampling of the reviews that are posted before submitting your book for review.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
CaoPaux said:
Such online "reviewers" don't come up much because 1) most folks recognize they're worthless because they don't reach the people who actually buys books. 2) Those that don't recognize that aren't savvy enough to ask about them before they buy into the “I’ll be seen by millions!” hype.

That's not true of all on-line review sites, though. The quality varies widely, but some of them have been around a long while and have a great reputation. OK, I'll admit a bias as I'm associated with All About Romance, although I no longer write reviews for the site. But like AAR, a lot of the on-line review sites have a lot of regular visitors, repeat visitors who not only read the reviews but discuss them, etc. And even the well established sites like AAR, The Romance Reader, etc. had to start somewhere.

Do these sites have an effect on sales? It's hard to say. A lot of people have pointed out that the typical on-line reader isn't really like the typical book buyer. (The typical reader doesn't write lengthy posts about things like headhopping.) On top of that, there are some books that people will buy no matter what the reviews say. And some books will have low sales despite the reviews and buzz on the message board -- but that could be because of bad covers, bad distribution, unpopular settings, etc. Still, a good review can help, and even a bad review can help.

CaoPaux said:
Also, why would a publisher visit a review site for POD and ebooks? This is bait for the self-published author to think they might be Discovered by a Big Publisher. You’d have a greater chance of being stuck by lightning, since the only "publishers" who troll such sites are vanities looking for marks to spam.
But a review site is supposed to be for readers, not a way to pick up a publisher. Also, as far as readers go, there are definitely readers who visit ebook review sites. I certainly have, when I was looking for ebook reviews -- particularly in the erotic romance field. It's a hot market, and there are lots of sites geared to reviewing erotic romances and nothing else.

As far as the quality of the reviews, well, I've noticed that a some of the sites reviewing erotic romance suck (pun not intended). (rimshot) According to some sites, every book great, and the most you will learn is how many times the hero and heroine play hide the sausage. Still, many of those sites have a lot of visitors. I'll confess -- I've visited some review sites because I wanted to know how many times the hero and heroine play hide the sausage. :D

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
AnneMarble said:
Do these sites have an effect on sales? It's hard to say. A lot of people have pointed out that the typical on-line reader isn't really like the typical book buyer. (The typical reader doesn't write lengthy posts about things like headhopping.) On top of that, there are some books that people will buy no matter what the reviews say. And some books will have low sales despite the reviews and buzz on the message board -- but that could be because of bad covers, bad distribution, unpopular settings, etc. Still, a good review can help, and even a bad review can help.

I found that reviews (whether from online or print publications) helped indirectly with sales in that if I got the reviews early enough I could include them in the title description when listing titles with various e-vendors (Fictionwise.com, etc.). It seemed that the webmasters of the e-vendor would see the number of reviews and would then put a spotlight on the title, which in turn brought the title to the attention of buyers.

So they can help, although by how much is a question that I don't think can be easily answered.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
AnneMarble said:
But a review site is supposed to be for readers, not a way to pick up a publisher.
That's my main point: regardless of the relative worth of the review itself, for a review site to tout "publishers will see you!!!11!!" is a red flag, since it reveals misunderstanding and/or ignorance of the worth and effect of post-publication promotion. Combine that with "you must pay us to be seen anywhere BUT our site", and this particular site is majorly suspect.

The bottom line, I suppose, is "don't pay for a review or to have it displayed".

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Personal to Tami Brady: I tried to respond to your e-mail to me this morning. However, you are not set up to receive e-mails via Absolute Write's WaterCooler, and my response to your e-mail address bounced. If you would like to receive a response you will have to provide me with a new address or set up your profile here to receive e-mails. You can also PM me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
TCM Reviews is no longer taking review requests. We will complete the reviews we have committed to doing. Then, on July 12, 2012, TCM Reviews will permanently close its doors. At this time, all reviews on the site will be deleted and the site will cease to exist.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
We got a review from them a while back for a travel/humour book. It's so long ago that I can't remember whether I contacted them or they contacted me to request a review copy. No money changed hands for the review, I didn't know anything at the time about paying for their other services. Whether it helped sales or not, I'm not sure, but at least there was something to put on the book's page under reviews :)