Summer Olympics in Brazil: what to do

The 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil should be...

• Total voters

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Economic instability, pissed off populace, deadly epidemic, polluted waters...it sounds like it's going be quite a party down there this summer.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
And the hits just keep on comin'...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/18/americas/brazil-rio-state-emergency-funding-olympics/index.html

The state of Rio is different from the city, itself, to be sure. And it's the state that's asking for help. The city's mayor claims everything is fine in the city.

But I have my doubts that everything is going to be ready in time. I think it's all going to come apart just before the Games start. We'll see, I guess...
wAAACH5BAEAAAIALAAAAAAQAAkAAAIKlI py 0Po5yUFQA7

We'll see. I don't know what will happen. But it seems like every Summer Olympics, there's worry about something.

2004 - Athens wasn't going to finish the facilities in time, or it was going to be attacked by terrorists during the Olympics.
2008 - Everyone was going to die from Beijing's killer smog.
2012 - I don't remember London's issue, but I think there was something.

My guess - they'll surprise everyone and pull it off somehow.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Can I change my vote?

I think they should cancel the Olympics and instead do an episode of Naked and Afraid.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Ah, no mention yet that the entire Russian Track and Field team has been banned from competing in the Olympics?

Apparently government-sanctioned and overseen performance-enhancing drugs are a humongous no-no and egregiously continuing them for years and years tries the patience even of the Olympics committee. Or something.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaguar in Amazon torch relay shot dead. Apparently using a wild animals around people and an open flame as a prop for photo ops is a bad idea. The jaguar slipped her restraint and attacked a soldier. She was shot and killed after tranquilizer didn't work.

Link

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
McIlroy out.

In a statement released today, McIlroy confirmed that he would not be competing: "After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to withdraw my name from consideration for this summer's Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero.

"After speaking with those closest to me, I've come to realize that my health and my family's health comes before anything else. Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low, it is a risk nonetheless and a risk I am unwilling to take."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
My guess - they'll surprise everyone and pull it off somehow.

I wouldn't bet on it.

With the increased costs of hosting an Olypmic games, the decreased return and the often lack of use for facilities after the fact, many countries can't shoulder the burden of the "honor" of being chosen. We saw cities back out of the last ballot due to the ridiculous demands from the IOC. The fans, who are the ones that will make or break the economy of the games, are increasingly less tolerant of host nations' "cultural quirks" (like killing dogs or violent, anti-LGBT stances, or the way they treat people living in the areas earmarked for the games)

With one of the major national teams blackballed, rumors of disease and unsafe/unclean water facilities, and depending on how many others back out, Brazil may be the crack that runs too deep for the games to fully recover.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Rio's Governor Declares 'State Of Calamity' Ahead Of Olympic Games

Just seven weeks before the opening ceremony of the Olympics, the governor of Rio de Janeiro has declared a "state of calamity." Interim Governor Francisco Dornelles says the state's government is bankrupt and can't meet its financial commitments ahead of the games.

[NPR correspondent Lulu Garcia-Navarro reports that] finances in Rio "have been so dire ... that civil servants haven't been paid and hospitals are operating on a shoe string." She adds that even amid a countrywide recession, "the state that is hosting the Olympics has been particularly hard hit."

In a decree, Dornelles said the state requires emergency measures to prevent "a total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management," Reuters reported.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's hard for me to imagine how the games can go forward under these conditions. A "state of calamity"?

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard for me to imagine how the games can go forward under these conditions. A "state of calamity"?

To be fair, they only have two states: that one, and a state of emergency.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm moving more now from the move camp to the Cass's Naked and Afraid suggestion sounds frighteningly realistic camp. This is getting out of hand.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-36653007

There was a nasty surprise awaiting passengers in the arrivals hall at Rio De Janeiro's Galeao International Airport on Monday.

Along with the relatives carrying flowers and taxi drivers waiting with name boards there were lines of off-duty police with banners that had a far more ominous message: "Welcome to Hell".

"Police and firefighters don't get paid," the banners, in English and Portuguese, went on. "Whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe".

Francisco Dornelles, the acting governor of Rio de Janeiro ... told the Brazilian newspaper O Globo that the state was still waiting on the promised $860 million payout from the federal government ahead of the start of the games. He added that without the cash injection, police patrols may be have to be halted due to the lack of funds for basics like car fuel.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think the IOC and FIFA should merge into one agency. Then they could expand beyond the sports sphere and enter the political arena -- the Socolimpa party. With their long tradition of blatant corruption, arrogance, and incompetence, they should easily outdo both the Republican and Democratic parties.

Not to mention the parties in other countries. They clearly are the perfect group to rule the world.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an idea: No city can have the Olympics unless they have a functioning sewerage treatment plant.

You would think that plus potable water was a basic requirement the Olympic Committee had on their checklist. Maybe after this experience they will.