JunNoWriMo 2016 - All June in the Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
OK, having goals is good.

1. Edit the "Maple Tree" short story Done, and submitted
2. Keep editing Incubus; I'd like to reach the middle of the book by the end of June. Oh yes the middle of the book is definitely a "done" thing!
3. Cherry on top: write something new, maybe a short. I've outlined a horror short story. Might move the actual writing to July.

*pats self on the back*
I'm very pleased with myself: I've edited an average of 1600 words / day in the last three days, since I've reached the middle of the book (anything after that needs to be typed again). Some of those scenes are complete rewrites, because I got rid of one POV between the first draft and the first edit. Now to keep up that momentum!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, having goals is good.

*pats self on the back*
I'm very pleased with myself: I've edited an average of 1600 words / day in the last three days, since I've reached the middle of the book (anything after that needs to be typed again). Some of those scenes are complete rewrites, because I got rid of one POV between the first draft and the first edit. Now to keep up that momentum!

:Clap:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
  • Join Beta Project Done!
  • Do Beta Project crits done!
  • Apply Hexes edits done!
  • Finish scene list for next project
  • Finish beta read I'm midway through 50 pages remaining
  • Send nudge for my full done!
  • Cry over the rejection I'll get in response to nudge Not-yet-rejected!

The last few days have been a mess, so I figured why not nudge and get the rejection and let today totally suck. Upside, was told it was still in the TBR pile, and the agent was once again super cool.

Halfway point! Good work everyone!

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
You're all great!
We had some minor problems here and that did not sit well with my writing time so my goals this month will have to be downsized considerably. Still, since yesterday I am getting closer to the missing scenes of my WIP and getting into a state of mind that might help me a lot to finish it - sooner or later.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
1) Hit 50k on DIVIDE project. DONE!
2) Get DIVIDE finished and out to betas.
3) Read 5 books. DONE! Read 6.
4) Get back to choir practice.
5) Keep up semi-regular exercising, cycling or lifting. Success. First spinning class. :)
6) Make some art!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday while writing I suddenly realized I had a kink in a plot thread I've woven through all three books in my fantasy series - one that occurred way back in the first part of Book 1. It's so tiny the average reader probably wouldn't notice it, but the discovery was like a kick in the head. Fortunately, it's an easy fix - two characters need to NOT shake hands when they meet - but if I hadn't noticed the error it would have thrown both the plot thread and the logic of my magic system out of whack.

Book 1 has been out on submission for over a year and sometimes I've been discouraged because it hasn't found a home yet, but right now I'm grateful.

I'm about halfway through my third reading assignment - Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling. While I normally enjoy Bryson's writing, his tone in this one is pretty curmudgeonly. If he's going to grump his way around England that's not going to be any fun.

My show closes this weekend. I only have a couple little gigs booked for the summer, and nothing yet for the fall (I have an offer on the table but I'm not liking it much - the money is good but it's understudy work and I hate understudying). I'm weighing whether I want to Camp in July - I won't be working but I'm going to be inundated with family visits - and I just don't know if I can commit to it.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP the road goes ever on and on...
2) Read three books 2.5 of 3
3) Write one short story
4) Beta read somethin' for someone
5) Take two bicycle rides of at least 3 miles
6) Take two nature walks of at least 3 miles
7) Repot two ginormous houseplants (trees, really) DONE
8) Plant the nine asparagus seedlings I bought DONE

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Check-in time :)

• Add five minutes a day to my writing-related tasks (so far so good)
  • Organize my office
  • Read June and July books for Book Club (more than halfway through the June book; a little worried I'll have to return the July one before I can finish it)
  • Finish the short story I need to complete for the 15th DONE!
  • Continue to work on getting writing-related tasks in earlier in the day (having a bit of success on this, though inconsistent)
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times
  • Catch up on Marvel shows: Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil S2. (one down!)
  • Keep writing streak going : 5/12 months so far (so far so good)
A bit of progress on my constant goals for a change!

I also managed to adjust my sleep/wake schedule for a whole two days last week :p Then I stumbled, and I'm trying to get it back. Ah well.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
  • Join Beta Project Done!
  • Do Beta Project crits Done!
  • Apply Hexes edits Done!
  • Finish scene list for next project
  • Finish beta read I'm midway through Done!
  • Send nudge for my full Done!
  • Cry over the rejection I'll get in response to nudge Not an R!

I might not do the scene list. I mean, it's at least halfway done, but the longer I consider it, the more worried I am about a story where nothing explodes. As much fun as it looks on paper, I always seem to end up slogging though the play-it-straight MSes

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show's closed and I'm determined to make full use of this quiet week before all the family visits start. I finished the Bryson book last night - wish I liked it better. He's funny but oh so grumpy.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP Drawing ever closer to the end and to the 200k mark. Just edged over 193k...aiiiiieeeee.
2) Read three books 3 of 3 DONE
3) Write one short story
4) Beta read somethin' for someone Volunteered to read for an AWer - just waiting for the m/s to arrive in my inbox
6) Take two nature walks of at least 3 miles

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Check-in again:

• Add five minutes a day to my writing-related tasks (still going good, though I think my final goal was too high)
  • Organize my office (outlook not so good)
  • Read June and July books for Book Club (Done June, will probably have to bump July to next month)
  • Finish the short story I need to complete for the 15th DONE!
  • Continue to work on getting writing-related tasks in earlier in the day (usually managing to get at least one in early)
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times (doing good on getting up on time, failing at going to sleep on time)

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
1. Edit the "Maple Tree" short story Edited, submitted, rejected (and I'm OK with that)
2. Keep editing Incubus; I'd like to reach the middle of the book by the end of June. Eh. Finished, and in beta. OMG.
3. Cherry on top: write something new, maybe a short. I've started outlining a new novel.

I'm also beta-ing a project, and might request a second one. :hooray:

I've found my Nano password, has anyone opened a cabin yet? I could with a spot of camping in the woods.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Raindrop, every time I see your name, that Sound of Music song pops into my head. Haha.

Yes, someone please go set up a cabin!

Nothing to show for this week, but it's because it's been a busy week, but I'm bursting at the seams to get some scenes down. Had someone alpha read a manuscript and provide me some feedback, and I'm eager to implement some changes.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
The lovely TAMaxwell made the cabin thread. I am the terrible vacationing slacker who did not make one. I hang my head in shame.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
At least you didn't try to push it off onto someone else like I did. Haha.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last four days of June and still plugging away at the goals. I got a fair amount of writing done but not as much as I'd hoped; my niece arrived for a week-long visit and entertaining her has cut into my work time. There's an upside, though; she's playing an online game that eats up our bandwidth, so when she's playing I can't waste writing time by surfing the web.

I took her with me for a nature walk yesterday, which was super nice and put a notch in the Goal Belt. Although I'm not going to finish all my goals for the month (the short story isn't gonna happen and probably not the bike rides, either), I'm still hoping I can get to the end of the WIP. If not, it'll be a Camp goal.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP I'm at 194.5k and still not done.
3) Write one short story
4) Beta read somethin' for someone DONE
6) Take two nature walks of at least 3 miles 1 of 2

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here we are at the end of the month. I didn't do badly on my goals - still working toward the end of my WIP (Book 3 in my fantasy series).

Two days ago I got word from my agent that we have an offer for the whole series. It's from a small, relatively new publisher, so I'm taking some time to study the contract and weigh my options. Another small, new publisher has Book 1 in the series and has asked for a few more days to read, so nothing will happen until next week at the earliest. I suppose I should be excited, and I guess I am, but it's mostly taking the form of feeling faintly sick and disoriented.

So...the June results:

1) Finish rough draft of WIP I'm at just over 196k and still not done. Transferring the goal to July Camp
3) Write one short story nope
4) Beta read somethin' for someone DONE
5) Take two bicycle rides of at least 3 miles nope
6) Take two nature walks of at least 3 miles 1 of 2

I'm off to start the July thread - open to Campers and non-Campers alike.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Okay, let's see how I did...

June Goals:​
  • Add five minutes a day to my writing-related tasks Done!
  • Organize my office Ha ha ha, nope!
  • Read June and July books for Book Club Finished June, and started July
  • Finish the short story I need to complete for the 15th Done!

Constant Goals:​
  • Continue to work on getting writing-related tasks in earlier in the day Have had a bit of progress on this one, but my breaks being inconsistent hasn't helped
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep time I've been doing okay on the waking-up (oddly), but not so well on the going to sleep
  • Catch up on Marvel shows (Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil S2.) Finished Jessica Jones, and skipped ahead to start Daredevil
  • Keep writing streak going (6/12 months so far) Still going!

Not bad overall :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you, mrsmig, with whatever option you end up going with.

I apparently haven't updated in a while. I still feel like this whole year has been down on productivity, but I don't seem to be changing that. Maybe I should just look at the last couple of years as being amazingly productive instead. I finished the chapters and thus the book at least. Now I'm letting it sit before fine tuning. I only did some drabbles, but I also got some editing done on another story and bits and pieces written. I missed two days. One after I finished the book and hadn't shuffled myself properly into short story mode. The other I was sick.

Book-wise, I read The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher. It started off sluggish and it was far too easy not to pick up, but once I got past that I enjoyed it well enough.

1. Edit four chapters Book 2. 4/4
2. Write and fix some drabbles. Enough
3. Read five books. 3/5
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited / day. Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.