Pirating sites

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Since my publisher went under, took Distortion down from Kindle, and reverted my rights, the book keeps turning up on these illegal sites. I've sent a couple cease and desist notes to no avail so far. I'm told by some other authors not to be concerned as no intelligent computer user would download a file from them. Still, it just BOTHERS me. I have other plans for this book. Any strategies or advice? Lucie

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Opinions vary, but in mine, it's really not worth the effort. 99% of those sites don't have actual books available, anyway, and are just phishing scams or malware havens.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. It makes me furious whenever I find my books listed on some trash site. But, yeah, I agree that they're usually just that and no real threat. Now I just try not to discover them lol. The nerve!

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I've been livid recently because one of these piracy sites has been ADVERTISING on Twitter! I've seen my books and many other friends' books coming through when you search them. It's really not acceptable. I report it whenever I see it, but twitter doesn't seem to be doing much.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Most of these sites don't actually have your e-book, the 'book' is just a virus or malware titled to look like your book. I really wouldn't stress about it, those aren't actually copies of your book at all.

Try not to let it bother you, even though I know it's difficult. :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Good afternoon lovelies -- the folks who've had trouble with pirates might want to check out this new site, Blasty, which is designed to monitor for illegal copies of your work and sent out an infringement notice.

I haven't used it myself, so I'd be curious to hear how people find it. It seems like you need to pay for the best features (I'm guessing automatic takedown notices, the website wasn't clear). Free 'alerts' services like Talkwalker and Google alerts might already do the same job as the free service?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every author who mentions their books have been pirated always seem to start the announcement with "I got a Google alert".

Graylorne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulhorsman-author.com
Every author who mentions their books have been pirated always seem to start the announcement with "I got a Google alert".

True; that's how I found mine :)

Two of my Dutch fantasy titles are being offered as illegal e-book downloads on fake websites.

The point is, there are no e-book versions of the Dutch edition.

So I heartily advise any illegal downloader to try his luck there.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I report it whenever I see it, but twitter doesn't seem to be doing much.

Report it as online gun sales or a conservative think tank. :)

Yeah, Twitter, Facebook and the rest don't seem terribly responsive to piracy or copyright reports unless backed with a letter from a big name law firm. Fortunately, the people who might download the pirated version would never have paid for it anyway and get their Karma whacked by getting spammed, phished or hacked on a regular basis.

Jeff

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Report it as online gun sales or a conservative think tank. :)

Yeah, Twitter, Facebook and the rest don't seem terribly responsive to piracy or copyright reports unless backed with a letter from a big name law firm. Fortunately, the people who might download the pirated version would never have paid for it anyway and get their Karma whacked by getting spammed, phished or hacked on a regular basis.

Jeff

Not sure about the last bit, really. We're talking about people who are ready to pay money for it, after all. Or aren't those sales sites?

My art got pirated on a site that offered prints a while back. The site was so shady, the page with my art was already down by the time I tried to make a screenshot. Still, bugs me to think they might con epople who actually think they're doing me some good into paying them. Not just because that could have been my money.

As for Twitter and the likes being somewhat nonresponsive, I'd take that over immediate takedowns of content, legal or not, at the first threat any time. Burden of proof needs to be wit6h the one making the accusations.

maja

Registered
Reaction score
i agree. It is shocking. I joined Blasty. https://dashboard.blasty.co/ at some friends' urging..They're supposed to be very good. here's another link http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/09/15/blasty-vaporizes-pirated-content-in-google-search-results/
The main reason i'm asking is, they want permission to add them to my Google Chrome. They flush out pirates from google sites as i understand it. Does anyone know anything about them? I've joined up but i'm not changing anything with my Chrome yet. :) thanks!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that wellnovel dot com pirated one of mine. I didn't try the download-- I didn't want to risk sacrificing my computer for my curiosity-- but they purport to have ebooks of authors who are far bigger than I am. Does anyone know if wellnovel is worth the DMCA email, or just to ignore it?