How loved are the Inspirational Apocalyptic fiction and Christian Horror genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am new here)

I write in two, but very similar genres: Inspirational Apocalyptic fiction and Christian Horror.

Can I ask how is your market?

In some way it is too difficult to find your readers?

My apologies from now in my question, but I am really green in this.

For some time I have a notion that there is not too much market in my 2 genres, I mean, out there is its fan base, but is not that giant as in another genres. I may be quite wrong because I only follow the box-office of those films (no novels) in Wikipedia and Box Office Mojo since I have no idea where I need to go to find the box-office or the lists of best-selling books in my area, but also with its market information.

I have seen movies that can not follow the success of its original books, by example: The Mist from Stephen King or (classic or recent) remakes from The Omen and similar works. The Mist film was not a super successful box-office if I remember.

The films fans don’t receive quite well horror in Christian movies (or books)?

I believe Horror is a smaller niche than compared with some other genres. What do you think?

The recently canceled TV-show Damien (A&E) is another example in my humble mind. According to tvseriesfinale the show only received an average of 0.18 in the 18-49 demo and a total of 478,000 viewers. Okay, the show had its issues, but because I really really love the genre I always watched it.
But, my question is, how those 478,000 viewers transmit in buying horror books? It is quite amazing number of potential readers-buyers I still think.

Sending hugs,

:snoopy:

Gladys

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Short answer: They aren't loved.

Sorry.

However, there are a few.

Enclave (formerly Marcher Lord)

Oak Tara pubs some SF

Those are the only two I'm familiar with.

Here's a list via a place called the Christian Writer's Corner, but it's for all genres, so you'll have to do a lot of clicking through. HOWEVER *warning bells warning bells warning bells* RUN FAR AND FAST from anyplace that uses "co-op publishing" or similar terms where you learn in the fine print that you have to pony up your own cash. NEVER pay someone to publish your work, EVER.

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hi dear Calla! :hooray:
How are you today?
I thank you for your reply :=)
Can you be more specific? :cry: Why they are not loved citing what you wrote?

Gladys

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gladys:

A check of the Christian fiction shelf in a B&N or on Amazon will give a bunch of Amish romances, a handful of mysteries, some romantic suspense and historicals... and that's about it. (No joke, one book on the first Amazon results page is subtitled "A sweet and clean historical romance.")

Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti are still publishing, but even their publishers don't tag their books as horror. A quick check on Goodreads has the majority of their books tagged as C-Fic at the top and Thriller lower down. Only 2 of Peretti's are tagged as Horror first, and they're his older ones.

Deb Kinnard is our resident expert on C-Fic publishing. Gravity bailed on it after a few books; I bailed on it a few years before my first book was published. The rules are incredibly strict and the market incredibly small. For the past several years, the C-fic that's been getting published by the bigger houses has been sweet-sweet-sweet.

This is a hamster wheel, of course. The houses see sweet romance and historicals are selling so they look to acquire more. Readers who want C-fic go to the store, see walls of romance and historicals, and buy it because it's the only game in town. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The smaller C-fic houses are taking a few risks--within the C-fic limitations--but with the smaller house limitations (smaller distribution, fewer sales, less publicity).

If you're writing Christian horror, you may want to think about labeling it "dark fantasy." Maybe even "suspense" if you can possibly skew your query that way (and if the book could be even marginally considered suspense).

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Calla Lily,

Thank you so much for your reply. I read it and I am still thinking in it.
It was so informative.
"Dark Fantasy"! Oh my gosh, I like the idea. I never though of that.

Have a good day, Calla
and thank you again!

:hooray:
Gladys

Gladys:

A check of the Christian fiction shelf in a B&N or on Amazon will give a bunch of Amish romances, a handful of mysteries, some romantic suspense and historicals... and that's about it. (No joke, one book on the first Amazon results page is subtitled "A sweet and clean historical romance.")

Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti are still publishing, but even their publishers don't tag their books as horror. A quick check on Goodreads has the majority of their books tagged as C-Fic at the top and Thriller lower down. Only 2 of Peretti's are tagged as Horror first, and they're his older ones.

Deb Kinnard is our resident expert on C-Fic publishing. Gravity bailed on it after a few books; I bailed on it a few years before my first book was published. The rules are incredibly strict and the market incredibly small. For the past several years, the C-fic that's been getting published by the bigger houses has been sweet-sweet-sweet.

This is a hamster wheel, of course. The houses see sweet romance and historicals are selling so they look to acquire more. Readers who want C-fic go to the store, see walls of romance and historicals, and buy it because it's the only game in town. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The smaller C-fic houses are taking a few risks--within the C-fic limitations--but with the smaller house limitations (smaller distribution, fewer sales, less publicity).

If you're writing Christian horror, you may want to think about labeling it "dark fantasy." Maybe even "suspense" if you can possibly skew your query that way (and if the book could be even marginally considered suspense).

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Gravity!

How are you? Thank you for your reply and the link you gave me since that info is very important for me and the authors that also write in this genre.
You rock!
:=)

Gladys

Yeah, Gladys, I bailed from the CBA and now publish in the general market.

Here's a link to a blog from a friend of mine who's doing Christian horror/fantasy. http://mikeduran.com/

Gladys1990

Registered
Reaction score
Calla:

and I forgot to say this: Thank you, thank you so much for share your experience with me! I have learned a lot with you and also the experience from Gravity )

Have a good day,

Gladys

Gladys:

Status
Not open for further replies.