Photo Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm compiling a photo/coffee table type book based on NYC architecture.

Are there any certain publishing companies or agents that have the reputation of being the "go to" for that type of book?

"Oh, it's a photo book? Everyone knows that ____________ is the place you'd love to have the book with!"

Thank you! :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you've been around this type of book at all, you could answer that question. Abrams is one. Rizzoli is another.

Check their guidelines carefully.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reaction score

If you've been around this type of book at all, you could answer that question. Abrams is one. Rizzoli is another.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thank you!!

Reaction score

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I gotta tell you. This was one of the most helpful posts of all time. Those two companies are EXACTLY what I was looking for. And Rizzoli even lets you send in book proposals!!

THANK YOU AGAN!!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been to Rizzoli? That's kind of one of the most done topics there is.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm compiling a photo/coffee table type book based on NYC architecture.

First, you are going to have to do something really different to sell this concept to anyone. This is one of the done to death categories. Coffee table photo books are notoriously poor sellers so the topic and the photography has to be stellar and unique. Take a serious look at the market to find your niche that will stand out.

But yes, Rizzoli is probably the go-to publisher for these. They also do an excellent publishing and printing job.

Jeff

GetShorty

Registered
Reaction score
First, you are going to have to do something really different to sell this concept to anyone. This is one of the done to death categories. Coffee table photo books are notoriously poor sellers so the topic and the photography has to be stellar and unique. Take a serious look at the market to find your niche that will stand out.

But yes, Rizzoli is probably the go-to publisher for these. They also do an excellent publishing and printing job.

Jeff

Jeff, you sound like you know a little about these coffee table photo books, if so shoot me a PM as I have an idea for one I'd like to run by you. Along with a few questions.

Thanks

Reaction score
Have you been to Rizzoli? That's kind of one of the most done topics there is.

I suffer from GAD so i was fibbing when telling what it was. Its never been done so I was paranoid. Sorry. But Rizzoli is the answer I needed. I hope all is well. Book finished. Going after them. Thanks again for the help, all.

Reaction score
Any agents that specialize in photo books? Or do most of these query right to the publishers? Don't photographers need someone to negotiate? Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Go into querytracker and search for agents who include art/photography as one of their specialties. Then check their websites.

Best of luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reaction score
I'm having real trouble finding agents who represent photographers looking to get a photography book published. The querytracker and other sites don't seem to have those categories. I put in "photography" and it comes up "NO MATCHES" for agents.

Anyone happen to know offhand what agents are known for repping photographers and their hopeful photo books? I got me a finished prototype and only one place to send it. Rizzoli.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I searched querytracker one minute ago and got 82 agents accepting queries for art/photography. If you are not a member, you may need to join. (It's free.) Then in the upper left corner is a button that helps you find agents. Open it, then click on Search Agents. Then go to the right side of the screen and open the thingy for genres. Scroll down to Nonfiction. Art/photography is the first option. Select it. It should open up three pages of possible agents.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reaction score
Hmmmmm...could be a member thing. Okay. Thanks. I have two prototypes of the book. One will be hand delivered to Rizzoli tomorrow.(cleared with them first. Saving me $10) Then I have a wildcard prototype i want to give to someone.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Maybe I'll give the third one to YOU. :) SInce you're the only one that helps me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.