Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Photo Books

banned as an incurable tosspot billythrilly7th's Avatar

Photo Books

Hello!

I'm compiling a photo/coffee table type book based on NYC architecture.

Are there any certain publishing companies or agents that have the reputation of being the "go to" for that type of book?

"Oh, it's a photo book? Everyone knows that ____________ is the place you'd love to have the book with!"

Thank you!

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you've been around this type of book at all, you could answer that question. Abrams is one. Rizzoli is another.

Check their guidelines carefully.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post

If you've been around this type of book at all, you could answer that question. Abrams is one. Rizzoli is another.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    I gotta tell you. This was one of the most helpful posts of all time. Those two companies are EXACTLY what I was looking for. And Rizzoli even lets you send in book proposals!!

THANK YOU AGAN!!

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Have you been to Rizzoli? That's kind of one of the most done topics there is.

Quote Originally Posted by billythrilly7th View Post
    I'm compiling a photo/coffee table type book based on NYC architecture.
    First, you are going to have to do something really different to sell this concept to anyone. This is one of the done to death categories. Coffee table photo books are notoriously poor sellers so the topic and the photography has to be stellar and unique. Take a serious look at the market to find your niche that will stand out.

But yes, Rizzoli is probably the go-to publisher for these. They also do an excellent publishing and printing job.

Jeff

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaselFire View Post
    First, you are going to have to do something really different to sell this concept to anyone. This is one of the done to death categories. Coffee table photo books are notoriously poor sellers so the topic and the photography has to be stellar and unique. Take a serious look at the market to find your niche that will stand out.

But yes, Rizzoli is probably the go-to publisher for these. They also do an excellent publishing and printing job.

Jeff

Jeff, you sound like you know a little about these coffee table photo books, if so shoot me a PM as I have an idea for one I'd like to run by you. Along with a few questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
    Have you been to Rizzoli? That's kind of one of the most done topics there is.

I suffer from GAD so i was fibbing when telling what it was. Its never been done so I was paranoid. Sorry. But Rizzoli is the answer I needed. I hope all is well. Book finished. Going after them. Thanks again for the help, all.

Any agents that specialize in photo books? Or do most of these query right to the publishers? Don't photographers need someone to negotiate? Thanks!

Go into querytracker and search for agents who include art/photography as one of their specialties. Then check their websites.

Best of luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

I'm having real trouble finding agents who represent photographers looking to get a photography book published. The querytracker and other sites don't seem to have those categories. I put in "photography" and it comes up "NO MATCHES" for agents.

Anyone happen to know offhand what agents are known for repping photographers and their hopeful photo books? I got me a finished prototype and only one place to send it. Rizzoli.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I searched querytracker one minute ago and got 82 agents accepting queries for art/photography. If you are not a member, you may need to join. (It's free.) Then in the upper left corner is a button that helps you find agents. Open it, then click on Search Agents. Then go to the right side of the screen and open the thingy for genres. Scroll down to Nonfiction. Art/photography is the first option. Select it. It should open up three pages of possible agents.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Hmmmmm...could be a member thing. Okay. Thanks. I have two prototypes of the book. One will be hand delivered to Rizzoli tomorrow.(cleared with them first. Saving me $10) Then I have a wildcard prototype i want to give to someone.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Maybe I'll give the third one to YOU. SInce you're the only one that helps me.

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding the good thought about Rizzoli.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal