Feeling nervous...

Esmae

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am just joining the group for the first time. I have been reading a few forums from afar, not being game enough to jump in.
I am an Aussie living in California and have only just entered the world of creative writing this year while I take some time off from paid work for family reasons. I am taking a few online courses and have started developing what I believe is a middle grade novel. This has been inspired by my son and his experiences of moving to the USA and all the anxiety that surrounds that. Having said that it's a fantasy that touches on real issues experienced by many kids today. I guess I hope to soak up a whole heap of wisdom by being here and gain some new tools.

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Moving from one country to another is a trial, no matter how well you think you know the new country. Fodder for a good story, I think. Good luck.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Nervous? Posh. You'll find lots of friends here, as well as lots of fellow Aussies. You'll do fine. :)

Welcome to AW. :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hi, Esmae! :welcome:

Good on you for taking the plunge both with creative writing and joining the forum. You'll find plenty of useful information and helpful people here.

Where abouts in Oz are you from?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Esmae.

Jen144

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Esmae, and welcome to the forum! I'm an Aussie who's currently in the US too (have been for the past year and a half, but I'm heading home in August). Where in Aus are you from?
Look forward to seeing your posts. :)

The Stoopidist

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Esmae, welcome. I was really nervous about taking the plunge and joining too. Everyone is very welcoming and there's a ton of information. I've spent the past few weeks reading and there's so much info it can be overwhelming. I'm from California too!:snoopy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis and Alleycat are both here. I'm nervous the fur will fly.

Isn't California pretty much like Australia? When I drove to my sister's place just south of San Fransico, people drove on the wrong side of the road a lot. :greenie

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome, Esmae. Sounds like you have nothing to be nervous about. Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Enjoy your experience here.

Kevin

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Esmae. MG fantasy writer here (more on the fantasy side), too. Love the premise of the story. Let's us know how it turns out.

Shante_

Registered
Reaction score
You should definitely be nervous. These people are terrible. ;)

I kid, I kid. Good luck with the middle grade novel! I have an idea for an MG that I'm excited to write as well. Also, I'm sure all your new American friends love your accent. :)

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find it helpful!

Cabbit

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Some of my favorite people are Aussies :) One used to say 'No worries' all the time.
No worries!