Multiple Article Proposals & Rewrite Question

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sewing teacher and a freelance writer, and I've written several articles that I think would be a good fit for a popular sewing magazine. Their submission guidelines are pretty vague, since they seek articles from their readers, not freelance writers. My question is, since I have about half a dozen articles to propose, should I lead with one article idea, then mention the others briefly at the end of the email? I'm guessing I should start with just one idea and submit the others separately, but if so, how long should I wait in between each proposal?

(The magazine in question is Threads, if that makes a difference. Here's their author guidelines.)

Also, a couple of my articles are rewrites of ones I've published on my sewing website, for the benefit of my students. One was published by an online magazine with a small readership (around 700 subscribers). I made sure to rephrase every sentence and even add some new content, so they're NOT the same articles, but how similar can they be without upsetting the editor? Am I obliged to tell the editor, Hey, this is a rehashed version of something that was published awhile back? I would just skip these articles, but they haven't published anything similar in their magazine and it's information I feel would be beneficial to people who sew.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if there's more than one editor or not. There's only one email address to submit to. They should be open to ideas from new writers, since their whole thing is "our articles are written by our readers, not freelance writers." Although, I did get left with a sour taste in my mouth after talking with their book editor. I'd submitted an idea for an article that the magazine editor thought would make a great book, so she forwarded my proposal to their book department. The book editor wrote me and said, "This proposal is too short for a book, sorry." By then, I'd already expanded the original proposal with the idea of making into a book, but she didn't even reply to my email offering her the expanded version. I tried to shrug it off, but it still stung.

As for the articles, I'd already written them, so it wasn't a bother. I'm always writing on spec for an online magazine that pays me for my work. When I get an idea, I usually just write it. No reason not to. If no one wants to buy it from me, I can always put it on my website, so nothing goes to waste.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Our articles are written by our readers is just another way of saying we don't pay for our content. Do you think the editor is working for nothing or is she getting paid? I'll bet my next check she isn't a reader who happens to edit the pub out of the goodness of her heart. And I wouldn't worry too much about them rejecting your book proposal. Writing an article and not being paid is one thing, but writing a book and never seeing a cent is another thing entirely.

I think you dodged the bullet on this one. Put your work up on your site and work on your book on the side, then self-publish it as an ebook. You can sell it to your readers and while you may not be buying a new car from the proceeds, at least you won't be doing all of that so someone else makes money.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I may be fast, but I didn't dodge any bullets. Threads magazine does, in fact, pay their writers. And from my research, they pay quite well. If they didn't, I doubt the big names in the industry would contribute to the magazine like they do. And their book publisher is well-known for producing high-quality crafting books, so I'm 100% certain they pay their authors, just like any other book publisher.

I will try the book proposal with other craft book publishers. Only if I get no nibbles will I consider self-publishing it. That's a huge investment of time and money for a potentially non-existent payoff, so I'd rather try traditional publishing first.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that your advice isn't appreciated. It's that your last post made assumptions that aren't true. If you have additional advice based on my original questions, I'm all ears.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Hi Orianna! I probably am too late on this, but wanted to add some insight.

• If you're interested in writing for this Threads, research the editor and send him/her a freelance query, very short, about yourself and what you can offer her 'zine. You can pitch 1-2 NEW ideas, no more. (I do not recommend ever pitching stuff from a blog.). Each pitch is one sentence.

• Don't sweat that they ask for reader submissions, instead ask to spell out terms up front. If you don't they will take advantage of free or low-cost work. So the way I've done it is query. When they request an article, then ask to clarify terms before you submit the article.

• I wouldn't say never to writing on spec. Only once to start building your name. They sometimes call it a tryout. And sometimes trying out is the only clear path to writing for them. My highest paid article ever was written on spec. The editor loved my work and paid me quite well for it.

Best of luck,
Lucie

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You aren't too late! I had an idea for a new article to pitch, so I've been working on that before querying.

Another issue I've encountered is that I don't know the current editor's name. Their website doesn't say, and there's several different editors listed on the printed magazine's masthead, so I have no idea whom to address my query email to. I wrote them a couple years ago and talked with one editor, but I don't know if she's still working there, or if she ALWAYS handles all the queries, or if they're spread out between various editors. I know you aren't supposed to address a query generically to "Dear Editor," but I don't want to address it to someone who is no longer in their employ. That feels like it would be worse, somehow.

And no, I can't call to ask. I have a serious phobia about calling people I don't know. Sometimes I have a panic attack when pressured into making a call. Or I'll sit there for an hour, staring at the phone, trying to work up the courage to dial. It's really awful.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Dear Editor is unacceptable. Look them up on social media or choose one person from the masthead. The one who would most likely publish yoyr article. As a writer who sends very few queries, I tend to research people a lot and customize my pitch to each person. Good luck, Lucie

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I made a living writing articles on spec when I decided to go freelance. And there is no way that my work would have been picked up by the places it did had I not offered to write on spec. Pretty much my offer to write on spec was a standard line in all my pitches. I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

I would suggest pitching one story at a time until after they have taken one from you. But after that, sure, shoot the editor an email, asking if he's interested in any of your other ideas. But don't overwhelm him. He doesn't want to get twenty ideas from you, but three good ones, why not? Just don't expect him to take more than one idea at a time.

When it comes to rewriting things that you originally published on your blog, you might have to be careful. I used to write for one magazine that never would have been okay with this. And my contract stated that I would not resell the piece I did for them anywhere else for 30 days. That would have included a rewrite. When you want to break in somewhere, send them new and fresh ideas. I think you'll have more luck with that.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Gettingby and Mewellsmfu. I will start with one article and see what happens from there. One reason I write my articles before subbing is because my health is fickle, which makes it difficult to write under a deadline. I don't want to tell the editor, "Sorry, your article is going to be late because I was in too much pain to get out of bed this week." I'd much rather write it first, then it's ready to go when they ask for it. If I don't sell it, I can always use it on my own website, for my students. I enjoy writing so much, it's not really a chore. If I can't use the article anywhere, at least I'm gaining writing and editing experience, so it's still not wasted.

Okay, so the magazine in question lists the names of five editors: Editor, Special Projects Editor, Technical Editor, Senior Copy/Production Editor, and Senior Special Projects Editor. Plus several "contributing editors" whose names I recognize as being famous sewing experts who've written articles for the magazine. Is any one of the above editors the one I should write to with an article proposal?

I checked their Facebook page and website--there's no name given anywhere for a submissions editor. I even tried Googling it, but no luck. If anyone feels like calling to ask for me, I will cede my firstborn child to you. Or, you know, a big plate of virtual brownies. Whichever's easiest. ;) I can provide the phone number in a PM, if anyone volunteers.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Gettingby and Mewellsmfu. I will start with one article and see what happens from there. One reason I write my articles before subbing is because my health is fickle, which makes it difficult to write under a deadline. I don't want to tell the editor, "Sorry, your article is going to be late because I was in too much pain to get out of bed this week." I'd much rather write it first, then it's ready to go when they ask for it. If I don't sell it, I can always use it on my own website, for my students. I enjoy writing so much, it's not really a chore. If I can't use the article anywhere, at least I'm gaining writing and editing experience, so it's still not wasted.

Okay, so the magazine in question lists the names of five editors: Editor, Special Projects Editor, Technical Editor, Senior Copy/Production Editor, and Senior Special Projects Editor. Plus several "contributing editors" whose names I recognize as being famous sewing experts who've written articles for the magazine. Is any one of the above editors the one I should write to with an article proposal?

I checked their Facebook page and website--there's no name given anywhere for a submissions editor. I even tried Googling it, but no luck. If anyone feels like calling to ask for me, I will cede my firstborn child to you. Or, you know, a big plate of virtual brownies. Whichever's easiest. ;) I can provide the phone number in a PM, if anyone volunteers.

The problem with writing articles before hearing back from an editor is that often editors want to tweak your idea a little. The editor might say he loves your idea, but can you focus it on the how snaps are replacing buttons and not just how button factories are going out of business. Or not just on young people are making their own clothes but that high schools are bring back home economic classes. Things like this can change the focus or an article.

What I would do is shift your efforts from writing full articles to writing great pitches. Usually, I would do a third to a half of the reporting before pitching an idea. One thing that works really well is to include a short quote from an expert you have already interviewed. (Make sure when you interview someone before you pitch the story that you let them know you will want to follow up with them again after you've heard from your editor) This shows editors that you know what you are talking about and have access to good sources. But I would just include one short quote. You can say something like... Industry experts are already acknowledging the end of buttons. "It's all about snaps now," says the owner of the biggest snap manufacturer.

Sorry my examples are a little stupid, but I hope you get the idea.

As far as who to pitch, managing editors are usually a safe bet. The main editor is fine. If it's a good idea, any editor will respond to you or send it to the right editor. If you really want to you can call and ask who to send pitches to. Is there a reason you feel like you can't make that call? You're a sewing reporter now, and reporters of any kind usually have to make a lot of phone calls. Also, it will be a really quick phone call. The receptionist has gotten that exact same call from someone else before. No one is going to ask you anything or want to keep you on the line. If you really think it would help, you can PM me the phone number and I will call on Monday for you. But it might feel good to do it for yourself. I don't know anything about this magazine or sewing. You are the expert. You are the writer. You are professional and capable.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason you feel like you can't make that call? You're a sewing reporter now, and reporters of any kind usually have to make a lot of phone calls. Also, it will be a really quick phone call. The receptionist has gotten that exact same call from someone else before. No one is going to ask you anything or want to keep you on the line. If you really think it would help, you can PM me the phone number and I will call on Monday for you. But it might feel good to do it for yourself. I don't know anything about this magazine or sewing. You are the expert. You are the writer. You are professional and capable.
Yes, I'm a professional writer and a professional teacher, and I'm fairly good at what I do. However, I have a phobia about calling people I don't know. It's difficult to call people I do know, like my mother or best friend. Calling a stranger is next to impossible. I can sometimes manage it if I write a script of exactly what I need to say, including the answers to any questions that might be asked, and including my own name and phone number--because I will forget them under pressure. Even with a script, I'll either have a panic attack while trying to call, or I'll sit there, phone in hand, unable to hit "dial" . . . sometimes for hours, while I try to work up enough courage to call. Often, the panic overwhelms me and I can't do it. It's a debilitating problem, one that's plagued me for years.

It's easier if someone calls me, but still difficult, especially if I don't recognize the number and wasn't expecting a call. I've had many potential students call to ask about the classes I teach, and with one exception, every single one of them decided not to sign up, most likely because I bungled the call. For example, I forget what rates I charge, or where I'm located. I don't sound friendly, because I'm petrified! I keep a file on my laptop that has all the pertinent information written down, but if someone calls while I'm unable to access my laptop, or if they ask a question before I've had time to pull up that file . . . well, let's just say it's always ended badly. My success rate with potential students who email me, as opposed to calling, is much, much better, so I know it's my fault for being so terrible on the phone.

If you're serious about helping me, I'll PM you with the phone number and you'll have my everlasting gratitude!

Mewellsmfu, your sample query outline matches my magazine query pretty closely. I reversed my experience with my writing qualifications, putting my sewing experience first, only because this magazine recruits writers who are sewers and readers, not professional writers. Their writer's guidelines even says, "You don't need to know how to punctuate or spell--that's what our editors are for!" So I felt it was more important to stress my sewing experience first, and then mention my publishing credits. But otherwise, it's pretty much spot-on. I don't remember where I learned to write an article query, if it was from a thread here at AW, or one of my writing books, but it seems we learned from the same source! :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
There is an email address in the guidelines. It's at the end. I would use that instead of sending directly to an editor. I know sometimes people like to pitch to a specific editor. Sometimes that's the way to go. But after reading the guidelines, calling yourself to pitch stories is what I would do. I know you're nervous about calling. The more you make these kinds of calls, the easier it gets. And there is a great opportunity to pitch stories over the phone, according to the guidelines. You won't find that a lot. I once called a publication to pitch a story because I didn't have access to the Internet. The editor was super interested in my pitch, and I quickly became a regular writer for them. Most of the time editors don't want your phone calls. But I would really see if there is anyway you can make yourself call since they state welcoming such phone calls. A conversation is a great way to start building a relationship with the editor.

If you really can't muster up the courage to make this phone call, I would just send your pitch the the email listed in the guidelines and not address it to a specific editor at all or address it to the main editor if you really want to include a name, but I don't think you have to. It's not going to matter if you put an editor's name on it. Based on the guidelines, I would expect you will here back from them either way. The guidelines with an invitation to call them up if you want to write for them means they are really looking an open to ideas from you.

I only looked at the guidelines just now because I was going to give them a call for you, but I'm sure they would tell me to use the email in the guidelines. I wish there was something I could say to get you over your phone fear. How do you interview sources if you're not calling them? Maybe you are trying to do everything over email, but I believe you can get a lot more info and a better story by having a conversation rather than emailing a list of questions. Maybe if you practice making this phone and pitching the stories to a friend it will help you.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the anxiety that comes along with all this. It's real, and I'm not trying to say it isn't. But if you make this phone call, end up talking to someone about story ideas and it turns into some work for you, it's going to feel really good. I think the only reason to call is to pitch your stories, and, unfortunately, I really can't do that for you. Do keep us posted on how this works out for you. I'm cheering you whether you call or email. You got this!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much that I'm "nervous" or "anxious" about calling. It's an actual phobia. Like with spiders. To illustrate, I once jumped out of a car, screaming, because there was a spider on the steering wheel . . . and I was the driver! In my haste, I got tangled in my seat belt as I fell out the door. If it hadn't been for a quick-thinking friend in the passenger seat, I might've been dragged along as the car rolled downhill, because I hadn't turned the car off, or pulled the parking brake, or anything. The car actually rolled a few feet before my friend stopped it. That's how strong my fear of spiders is, that I could jump out of a running car without thinking. I mean, my friend could've been killed if she hadn't stopped the car before it crashed into something. I could've been seriously injured, tangled in the seat belt. But none of that mattered, because there was a spider on the steering wheel. My fear of calling people is like that.

In any case, I was planning to use the email address, but don't you still need to start the email with "Dear So-and-So"? That's why I wanted a specific name, so I wouldn't have to open with "Dear Editor." Or do you mean I should just start the email with no salutation?