Stranger in a Strange Land (apologies to Heinlein)

Hutching

Registered
Reaction score
My recent entry to the ranks of those who self-publish was partly driven by the fear that (procreation apart) I would go to my grave having created the sum total of zero so far as originality is concerned. I don't expect to sell millions of books, just writing them is the ego boosting experience I look for. Joining AW has opened my eyes to the fact that I am not alone in my efforts to produce something from nothing that I value even if it may not appeal to anyone else.

For myself the creative process encompasses not just the production of several hundred pages of story but also the time and effort of knocking it into shape when I self-edit and choosing the cover picture and layout.

I have followed with great interest some of the discussions about the importance of cover art, the power of a good editor, and the holy grail of an honest and supportive publisher. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I will remain in a happier, more motivated frame of mind by doing it all myself. At least for good or bad the end product is entirely my own.

I am very happy to receive well-intentioned advice and via AW this has to date been extremely constructive and useful.

Maybe I have a deep-seated fear of criticism which stops me from spending money I could easily afford on editors, designers etc and so preserves an almost 'amateur status' that salves my ego when my books don't race to the top of the bestseller lists.

One thing (among many) I have discovered since joining AW is the huge diversity existing within the writing fraternity so far as modus operandi and opinion is concerned. So as I paddle my own canoe through the fictional world I have created I wonder if many of you out there have a similar mindset?

Do you really care that much whether you achieve large sales or is knowing that one stranger has bought your book and read it sufficient reward?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, friend! Good to see another Heinlein aficionado out there... TANSTAAFL, and welcome!

I started out merely wanting to be read, but my ambition's grown as my books continue to do pretty well. The money coming in from these has definitely helped turn our fortunes around... it would be foolish to sneer at it. It's debts paid down early, it's bills I don't have to scrounge and scrape to cover, it's times I don't have to open my wallet and stare at my credit card... and it's helped me achieve peace with my day job, too. Now that I have a semi-realistic alternative if I lose it somehow, I am much more relaxed at the office, and less stressed.

So now I'm chasing the long-term dream of doing this for my full-time job. It'll take a couple of years, if I'm successful, but it is within my reach and it would be the height of folly to NOT go for it. So I want large sales, but I know they'll take time to achieve.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Do you really care that much whether you achieve large sales or is knowing that one stranger has bought your book and read it sufficient reward?

Yes, I do care whether my books sell. I didn't when I started writing, but priorities and perspectives change.

That said, there's nothing at all wrong with writing just for the pleasure of writing.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome . . . and trust that we grok your perspective.

We each have our personal motivations, the diversity of which enriches us all.

I, and many like me, write to relish the exaltation of inherent creativity fostered by an unfettered imagination--and for the sheer fun of it. If a reader enjoys the resultant tale, so much the better. Should a few coins subsequently find their way into an author's pocket, I know none who would object. Life is short; do what makes you happy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do care whether my books sell. I didn't when I started writing, but priorities and perspectives change.

Although I would certainly love it if my books would sell, that's never really been my major motivation in seeking standard publication. What I've been after, always, as a goal, is a level of respect that signifies somebody else appreciates my efforts, in a way that self-publication (now so easily done) can never give me.

And I've pretty much come to the conclusion that that will never happen, owing to my own inadequacies at the writing part of writing.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I have a deep-seated fear of criticism which stops me from spending money I could easily afford on editors, designers etc and so preserves an almost 'amateur status' that salves my ego when my books don't race to the top of the bestseller lists.

Maybe you do.

Note that you don't have to spend money to receive a critique of your work. If you have fifty posts or more you can put a segment of work up in our Share Your Work room, and receive critiques for free from our members. It's tremendously helpful and will highlight all your bad habits: so although you can only put a small amount of work up here, it will benefit you when revising a longer piece.

What I notice, from this one post of yours, is that you have a strong tendency to overwrite, which is going to mean you sell fewer copies, and end up with fewer readers. Before you publish anything, I think you would do well to spend time critiquing the works of other members here, and when you've got twenty or more critiques under your belt, put some of your own work up.

One thing (among many) I have discovered since joining AW is the huge diversity existing within the writing fraternity so far as modus operandi and opinion is concerned. So as I paddle my own canoe through the fictional world I have created I wonder if many of you out there have a similar mindset?

I don't have the luxury of being pleased with a single reader. I have to make my living, and I do it by writing. What I need is LOTS of readers. I find that far more gratifying, and the money I get is extremely helpful.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
What I've been after, always, as a goal, is a level of respect that signifies somebody else appreciates my efforts, in a way that self-publication (now so easily done) can never give me.

If by respect, you mean a Booker/Pulitzer/other literary award, then I agree. However, for me, ongoing sales are are general indicator that at least a few respect my efforts. And the occasional review by a reader who truly "gets" the book doesn't hurt, either.

I haven't read your stuff, but I seriously doubt that you have inadequacies with writing. It could be just that your writing isn't mass-marketable. And that's where self-publication can help.