Writing a BIO - HELP!

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
This has perhaps been covered before but I have some specific questions in regards to magazines asking for a bio as part of a covering letter. I get what a bio is – but I suppose I feel a bit weird not having any sales to list and a pretty boring life to boot. What do I fill it with?

I understand it’s unlikely I’ll make a sale too, but don’t want to fall at the first hurdle by not including one.

Also, I assume I write it in the third person?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the bio is written in third person. Just a short simple one would probably do, such as "Alma Matter is a [noun] in [city, state or geographical region]. This is her/his first publication."

If you want to get into it further than that, you might want to check the magazine you are submitting to. Some tend towards humorous bios, others more serious, and with still others, anything goes. Also, if the bios are placed with the stories, you might want to add a factoid about that particular story. If the bios are placed elsewhere as they sometimes are, then that might just be confusing.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
What ^she^ said, but I want to add:

In a query or cover letter, I use first person, because third person just doesn't work, since the rest of the query or cover letter is in first person. When it's a separate bio (say, on Submittable, the submission manager, as many magazines use online) or the editors ask you for one in an email, then it's third person.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or you can just put something like "Here's my bio:" Then add the bio in third person.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm seconding the recommendation to look at the bios in the publication you are submitting to. Some places have more quirky bios than others, and you want your bio to fit with the others that typically run with the work this place publishes. I have seen bios that simply say "So-and-so lives in Ohio" and that's it. I have also seen ones that at cute and sort of funny. If the publication asks for a bio with the submission, this is a chance to show that you actually read the publication by showing you can submit an appropriate bio.

I do understand that it can be difficult. I wish I could name off a bunch of publications, but I don't have that. I had that once upon a time when I was working in journalism, but I don't even feel like that is relevant to the kind of writing I do now, so I rarely mention it if ever. But there is nothing wrong with saying this would be your first publication. I have seen that in bios at some very impressive places, though, not often. But it does give aspiring short-story writers hope and the publication gets credit for discovering you.

Fruitbat -- Were you really nominated for a Pushcart? That's awesome!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, gettingby. It is nice to get that extra pat on the back once in a while. Of course it would have been even better to actually WIN but hey, I'll take what I can get. :)

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated. I've checked out the market and they're pretty short and formal - listing previous sales (if there are any) and a website where readers could potentially connect with you.

So you think it's ok to name the publication I'm subbing to as a first publication?

Also, fruitbat, a nomination is a win! At least to me.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alma. Yes, it would be fine to list the place you're subbing to as a first publication. They'll get it that it would only be in effect if they accepted your submission. :)