The Booger
On the Pants
Thread-Embedded
Had no Chance

Last edited:

Omicron

Registered
Reaction score
LOL I know it's a tad taboo to just out and say I love it, but, I love it. Normally I hate boogers. But a poem about boogers? Now, this I can get behind. Made me gag and laugh all at once. This would be great in a children's book- and I mean that as a compliment, not as criticism. It's like a twisted Shell Silverstein. Sort of reminds me of those more modern satirical plays on children's tales.

Do you want a critique as satirical as your poem or should I leave it there?

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I know it's a tad taboo to just out and say I love it, but, I love it. Normally I hate boogers. But a poem about boogers? Now, this I can get behind. Made me gag and laugh all at once. This would be great in a children's book- and I mean that as a compliment, not as criticism. It's like a twisted Shell Silverstein. Sort of reminds me of those more modern satirical plays on children's tales.

Do you want a critique as satirical as your poem or should I leave it there?

Thanks.

I don't know. I wrote this a long time ago, and I've never known what to do with it. That's true of all poetry I write. It just sits around in a file somewhere. *Shrug* What do you do with poetry?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny - reminiscent of Jack Prelutsky. I think the "Siren's call" line seems forced; it doesn't fit as neatly as the others. Overall, the language appear - at first - overly economical. The rhythm that I associate with rhyme and whimsy is there; it feels like the last four lines in each stanza could be joined to make two lines in each case.

Then again, doing that might make the poem read a bit too singsong-y -- but that's a matter of taste. I can see a clear argument for leaving it as it is.

I wonder if amusing poems don't get the serious consideration that more sober or arty poems do. I seem to recall the phenomenon being referred to in other arts - I want to say it's called the Weird Al Effect, but a quick dash to Google tells me that's something different.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
I think the "Siren's call" line seems forced; it doesn't fit as neatly as the others.

Good point. I meant an actual siren, not a mythological one. I need something that means 'loud alarm' or 'wail' that rhymes with wall. 'Sirens Drawl' doesn't quite cut it. Maybe I'd probably have to change 'climbed the wall' to something different, but it's a standard prison term. Arg.