• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing] Jeff Gerke

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Hi folks,
Does anyone have experience working with freelance editor, Jeff Gerke? He seems legit and my interactions have been great so far. There are no warnings on P&E and I haven't uncovered any obvious scam alerts. He seems to have several published authors under his belt.
So I'm left to conclude that he's legit. Wasn't sure if anyone here had any info or experience. No worries if not.

D.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
For what it's worth, it bothers me that he doesn't have much personal information on his site. I'm not expecting a full CV, but what qualifications does he have for teaching? What are his novels? What awards did he win?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. What the heck is an award-winning editor? He says he is one, several times, but never explains what awards those would be -- at least anyplace I looked.

There are also some errors on his site.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Good points made. I did inquire about this and he provided titles and authors, which I verified. That said, my biggest hesitation once I received the information was that this was a very niche market - Christian Fiction, which is often a very specific writing method. I do not write Christian Fiction, as a rule, so I have some concerns there. I'm giving it a shot with a short story. I just paid the bill and the edit is due by June 10th. I'll let y'all know how the experience goes.

Many thanks for the input. It is extremely valuable.

D.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
If this is the same Jeff Gerke I know, he owned and ran Marcher Lord Press until Steve Laube, the lit agent, bought it a couple of years ago. I've heard Jeff speak and he honored me and my crew by attending our indie publishing seminar several years ago. Jeff has chops. If I wrote SF in my market, I would trust him to edit my work in a New York moment. Alas, I write romance so I probably couldn't interest him in doing any editing. But if this is the route he's taking now, then my answer is yes, he's totally trustworthy and has the experience and savvy to bring great skills to the editing task.