• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Sidetracked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm locked in. I've got everything going. I'm on a roll. The plot is rocking. The juices are flowing. And then... my daughter comes in and turns on the light and totally distracts me with tales of her teenage relationships. Of course I've got to listen. Some of it may even be good for later plot lines, and as a father I'm required to commiserate and nod my head. But still... SIDETRACKED.

What's sidetracked you in the middle of a roll? (Other than this forum)?

Last edited:

G_Kombo

Registered
Reaction score
I have two kids too, and I find it impossible to write at home! I got so used to the irritation of noises and calls for attention that even when I'm alone, i still can't write! I veer towards my video games in such times. LOL
I can only write while I'm on my job!

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
I have two kids too, and I find it impossible to write at home! I got so used to the irritation of noises and calls for attention that even when I'm alone, i still can't write! I veer towards my video games in such times. LOL
I can only write while I'm on my job!

Don't I know it. Thank God my company has no idea how much time I spend writing fiction in my office. On the other hand, maybe they do, and they leave me alone because I still produce the crap they want. I hope that's the case. It's not like I'm ignoring their needs. I'm just using dead time wisely.

angeldove

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you. I wake up early in the morning on my days off before anyone else wakes in order to write something, but once they come downstairs I'm instantly lost. I usually can ignore the television or anything that they are doing, but as soon as they start talking to me (and trust me they have to when they see me) it's all lost. I put headphones on and work during my lunch on anything I write. It's difficult finding time to write. I wished I had more time, but unless I can find a way to support myself and my family without having to work as much, I feel like this is the only solution.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
My dayjob, being entirely honest. Then again, a man's got to eat.

It's one of those things everybody has to deal with, I guess. Nothing we can do about it except be dilligent and keep writing whenever we can. However, because I'm not married, I admit that finding time is not as hard. Then again, I mostly write after midnight (good thing I'm a night owl), and by that point most people that could distract me are sleeping, so there's that too.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My problem isn't actually getting sidetracked. My problem is getting started. I procrastinate. I find other things that need doing. But if I do manage to actually get going, I always generate enough words to be satisfied with the session.

A.E.Fisher

The first draft of anything is shit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jesuisley.com
My problem isn't actually getting sidetracked. My problem is getting started. I procrastinate.

THIS. Lord above, this is my main issue. I have the story in my head, and I know where I'm going with it. But instead of sitting down and writing it out, I worry about my usage of semi colons or mixing metaphors and find myself reading about these instead of writing the story. For me, I'm very certain my procrastination is directly linked to my fear of failure/producing subpar work.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My day job will introduce stress, but sometimes a story just peters out or I have an idea for a new short I want to develop.

ItsJess

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a teacher, and apparently, school starts soon or something and I have to teach a bunch of kids ;). But like Angry Guy said, my biggest thing is procrastination. I have my curriculum map, I have my lesson plans and assessments, and yet I still can find other things I "need" to do before I write.

Augustine Raine

Registered
Reaction score
I have five brothers (four younger, one older) and they're constantly yelling and screaming and fighting over something. On top of that, they all think that headphones are an invitation to talk to me while I'm busy, and my stepmom just doesn't care.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I have adopted my mother's cat. She's a sweetie, but boy does she demand attention. An open laptop is just an invitation for a cuddle as far she is concerned, nor can she dissuaded from this goal once her mind is made up.

My word count, never particularly impressive, has slumped in the last fortnight.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Two words. Video Games. The Sims 3. I get a great idea, start going with it...and then i get an urge to run to our PC and start playing x(

R.T James

Street urchin with a top hat.
Registered
Reaction score
My fiancee. Like clockwork... I love her dearly but at times I wish she would let me write in peace. My family also has a tendency to try to drag me out into the sunlight against my will, or they don't grasp that I'm writing.

Getting sidetracked is the main reason for my writers block. The only other excuse I have is it's hard to write a happy go lucky romance if you really feel like killing off a character in the most brutal way possible.

I hope other people have moments like that. Eh it's way theres numerous genres of movies right?

Status
Not open for further replies.