• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Comics + Fiction Writing Buddies / Betas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
So I need some outside help. I'd like a couple of people willing to read some short scripts as they come, email or chat back and forth, or just send line edits and questions. I'm pretty flexible, I just can't work in a vacuum. Writing's solitary, but without readers, it feels a bit pointless for me personally. Right now I need readers for comic scripting - 22 page comics. (The scripts themselves are usually actually shorter than that.) I usually send them out in completed chapters, so you'd get at least one 22 page comic script to read a month, with occasional revisions scattered through-out, depending on my output. '''

The current major project is to be named something other than Nemesis, though that's it's current working title. It's log line for the first major arc is as follows: A pair of supervillains who failed at reform go on a Thelma and Louise-esque cross-country misadventure trying to solve the murder of Chicago's premier hero and their former friend, Rubedo, as the authorities and rival supers are in hot pursuit.

Take a pair of morally gray people, give them limited resources, set them on the run while they're trying to stay alive AND solve the murder of their friend and maybe get some revenge in the process... Ultimately, it's a story of loss, recovery, adventure and love in a somewhat messy package. There's corporate corruption, ancient Russian cults, Cthonic Greek gods, and the power of love. All the stuff you need for a good superheroic romp across the nation, right?

I'm also working on a Jazz Age supernatural undead not-quite-urban historical fantasy series, Skinhorse, and John Gamble's dieselpunk post-WWII crime noir. There is not anything to read for this yet, but there will be eventually. Whether or not you want to read for that can come up as I actually produce work I'm willing to actually show other people. Right now this is solely about Nemesis.

And of course the obligatory warning: I should note I'm queer, and my fiction contains queer themes. The only series listed here with a straight lead is John Gamble. The other two have queer leads, but are not explicitly message/queer fiction. They just happen to have queer leads, and that affects the stories in different ways. If you're not comfortable with queer content, this is not the project for you.

Leave a note, we can discuss, take it to PM, yadda yadda.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, MurderofCrows, I'd love to be your beta-reader for your comic scripts. Are you looking for someone with a lot of experience? To be honest, I've been critiquing and beta-reading fiction for years. However, I've only given feedback to a couple of my classmates' scripts for a comic book class I took through Coursera. It literally just ended this Sunday. As a reader, I'd give feedback on pacing, emotional reaction (what every writer wants from his readers ;)), dialogue, and whatever else you'd need from me. Being an aspiring screenwriter, I've read many movie/tv scripts over the years, which I know is a bit different from comics.

If I sound like a good fit, you can PM me or send me an email at author.yawatta.hosby(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm gonna find oodles of comics experience here - not a lot of comics writer here (which is fine, I knew that going in.) The style isn't all that much different from screen writing (and I took screen writing courses specifically to build up my experience) except it's probably a lot more casual in framework. There's no set comic script style, so we've got that going on too...

But yeah, I'll drop you a note!

Status
Not open for further replies.