• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Handspun Literary Agency (Courtney Miller-Callihan)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Courtney Miller-Callihan's new agency, Handspun Literary? I couldn't find a thread on it.

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi Lady MacBeth!

I know Courtney and in a few months, should be interning with her. What would you like to know? I've known Courtney since 2013 when I had her come out to a writers' conference. She used to agent for the Sanford J. Greenburger Associates. A lot of her clients from there when with her and while she's actively looking, she's also selective because she has a lot of authors she's passionate about. I got to spend five days with her at a writers' retreat and we talked at length about the industry, etc. She definitely knows her stuff. Let me know what you'd like to know specifically and I'll see if I can assist.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lady MacBeth!

I know Courtney and in a few months, should be interning with her. What would you like to know? I've known Courtney since 2013 when I had her come out to a writers' conference. She used to agent for the Sanford J. Greenburger Associates. A lot of her clients from there when with her and while she's actively looking, she's also selective because she has a lot of authors she's passionate about. I got to spend five days with her at a writers' retreat and we talked at length about the industry, etc. She definitely knows her stuff. Let me know what you'd like to know specifically and I'll see if I can assist.

Hi Cassie

Hope it's okay to interject and ask if you know whether she reps upper YA? I read the guidelines and see only Adult and Children, but sometimes agents class YA in one of those categories. No probs if you don't know. :)

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cassie,

Thanks for the background information. I was just curious about personal experiences with her. I did the usual research and she has a great reputation.

She requested a full and my fingers are crossed.

:)

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cassie

The website asks for 50 pages but doesn't specify how. Is it safe to assume a .doc attachment can be included? Hard to imagine pasting 50 pages in a single email. :)

Cassie Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi Cassie

Hope it's okay to interject and ask if you know whether she reps upper YA? I read the guidelines and see only Adult and Children, but sometimes agents class YA in one of those categories. No probs if you don't know. :)

She's never specific upper YA over YA. She is interested in YA but less NA simply because NA is a harder sell right now. However, if it's a different spin on NA, she'd look at it. For middle grade and picture books, she loves to read them to her child but says she just doesn't have the understanding or connections to sell them.

Cassie Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi Cassie,

Thanks for the background information. I was just curious about personal experiences with her. I did the usual research and she has a great reputation.

She requested a full and my fingers are crossed.

:)

Good luck! She'd do good by you--by anyone--she takes on. I'm not saying that 'cause I like her. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had already sent a query for my polo mystery in March, and received a form R shortly afterward.

Darn. Sorry Chumplet

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Courtney?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her in April and got a personalized rejection in May. 36 days according to Query Tracker. She said it was hilarious but she wasn't convinced it was sellable.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Slightly belated reply, but C is my agent - she's maybe a little backed up at the moment. Well worth the wait though. She's one of the good ones in this business: great communication, great track record of sales, and her editorial suggestions are always well thought out and spot on. I love her to pieces. :)

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, raburrell. I am still waiting for a response to my ms.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Marissa and congrats on your offer of rep.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Still no response on the ms I sent May 9th, 2016. I'm marking this a CNR. If that changes, I will update.

UPDATE: March 15, 2017 Received an apology for long response time and form rejection.

Last edited: