Positive response to nudge?

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I've had a couple requested fulls out for a few months, and so far my (limited) experience with nudging has been getting either a negative response or none at all, so I wanted to ask: Has a nudge ever gotten anyone a positive response?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yup! For me :) . After two months I nudged my would eventually become my agent and she said she was just about to get to it. Got a revision request. And after that got an agent! :)

But I definitely would not nudge after one month. That's not enough time.

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's encouraging! And congratulations even if it was a while ago. I'm between three and six months with both agents, but nervous about nudging my way to a rejection.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I don't think a nudge would make someone reject unless you do it in an unprofessional manner. A nudge is a nudge. Either it'll make them realise, "Huh, still haven't read that one, I guess I'm not that interested in it" or "Shoot! I need to still read that one!" or "I'm reading it now, will let you know." I can't imagine what professional agent would be all "I love this book so much but now that you nudged, forget that, it's a rejection!"

:)

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Often times agents on their web site will give you some idea of how long it will usually take to get back to you. Some even tell you to nudge after X amount of time. In your case, 3 and 6 months are way past times for the two agents to respond to you. Most likely they are simply not interested & have not bothered to say so.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
If it is past time, I doubt that it hurts to shoot them a polite follow-up. The worst that they can say is no which, if the silence means disinterest, is exactly where you were anyways.

And congrats on getting requests for a full manuscript!

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! I guess I'll nudge in a bit and see what happens. I wish agents requesting a full and then never responding weren't a thing, though.

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
So in the end nudging got me rejections from both agents... looks like in my case they'd already decided but not planned to send a rejection until I nudged. Still better to get a response though :/