• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you use editing software?

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar checkers aren't all that useful for native speakers writing fiction, drama or poetry.

Depends on how good one is at the language they're native in. Individuals with dyslexia, for example, could probably benefit a lot from a grammar checker.

Shirokitty

Registered
Reaction score
I've never used one that has been much help to me for actual punctuation, at least. I've had grammar programs tell me something correct is incorrect far more often than I've had them spot mistakes or omissions on my part. Spell checkers are another matter entirely for me, but I have the auto correct turned off, because spell checkers often suggest the wrong word. It's almost as maddening as texting with the word selection feature enabled. I've written texts that are incomprehensible, because so many of the words the program chooses are not the ones I intended.

Some grammar checkers can be handy for spotting things like repeated or overused words, but again, they can't tell when someone is doing something for the sake of rhythm, voice or flow. They are not substitutes for human eyes (or brains).
I often have grammar checkers mark correct words as wrong. The most recent example to come to mind is loveable; while less common than lovable, it is technically correct. And apparently absolutewrite's spellcheck thinks it's wrong as well.

So they're unreliable enough that half the time I google the word to check if it's actually incorrect anyway. lol

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
I always wonder why writers don't take the obvious road, see the obvious solution. Sit down and learn grammar. This should be done before you write word one. But it has to be done at some point, or you simply will not be able to write as well as you should, even if you have a boatload of talent.

That's quite simple. Someone can know everything there is to know about grammar and still make mistakes. I don't see using editing software as an alternative to learning grammar, but a complement.

So, I certainly agree that every writer should learn their grammar. In fact, to make good use of grammar software, you need to know your grammar or you'll just end up following bad advice. We're a long, long way away from AI that can do grammar checking perfectly. As for style, I'm quite wary of a computer telling me to change the way I write. Because I have no interest in writing like a computer.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you use editing software...?

Nope. I use editing wetware. Software didn't exist when I started editing and, as far as I've seen, software doesn't exist that can do anything but follow rules. Good writers break the rules because they know why the rules don't apply to that particular situation.

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I use editing wetware. Software didn't exist when I started editing and, as far as I've seen, software doesn't exist that can do anything but follow rules. Good writers break the rules because they know why the rules don't apply to that particular situation.

Which actually brings up another point that bothers me some: I wonder if the fascination/dependence on computer software doesn't inhibit some writers from actually learning how to edit and what to watch for in writing. Seriously, every writer will be a better writer by learning how to edit using the brain, regardless of what software crutches may be available.

caw

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Which actually brings up another point that bothers me some: I wonder if the fascination/dependence on computer software doesn't inhibit some writers from actually learning how to edit and what to watch for in writing. Seriously, every writer will be a better writer by learning how to edit using the brain, regardless of what software crutches may be available.

caw

It will if people follow it religiously. The readability and sticky sentence apps will impede style. That's why I use the grammar function and ignore all the other bells and whistles.