Dairy-free recipes

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, could I ask for you to post some recipes with no dairy in this thread? I'm wanting to try some new and different stuff, as I'm starting to get really bored. Or resources for recipes that avoid milk products. Thank you!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Any particular types of foods you're looking for? Soup, stew, pasta sauce...?

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of recipes. We got a milk tolerance issue here but there's a butt load of alternatives.

Vitalite is a dairy free butter substitute and oat milk is creamy enough for mash potatoes and you can make a decent batter with it for Yorkshire puddings.

The trouble we have is processed food. milk is everywhere we don't expect it. Like crisps. But that just means everything is made from scratch.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really eat crisps or snacky foods I didn't obtain in the produce section, and I am totally cool with milk alternatives. There's two cartons of coconut milk alternative butter in my fridge. Because it's about to be summer, cold soups are welcome, and salads can be fun. Thank you LJD and WriterDude for guidance in what I should be clarifying.

Sandwiches and pasta would be great. Something for lunches is what I'm looking for mostly, as I think I have dinner figured out.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of pasta salads you could do - do you do soy cheeses?

Like, make pasta (orichette or fusilli or whatever) and when cooked, toss with a little oil and salt and pepper and put aside, then grate carrots, zucchini, parboil some peas and broccoli, add artichoke hearts, whatever you like. Take a pan with a bit of oil, cook some chopped garlic and shallots, cool that, toss the whole mess together in a giant bowl, pour on the garlicky oil, toss, add some more salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if you like that, add some grated soy parmesan if you do that, toss toss, stick in the fridge. It's very malleable and forgiving.

Sandwiches - mustard on a crisp roll or nice soft whole wheat with big slices of summer tomato and baby lettuces, with salt and pepper, is really good. A pita with hummus, falafel and crisp lettuce and tomato is good.

Pasta with homemade pesto is good hot or cold - just either use soy parm or up the nut content and eliminate parm completely.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Tacos! No cheese needed. Nice corn tortilla with some shredded beef/pork/chicken, topped with onions and cilantro. That's how they come around here in CA. Fill out the meal with some refried beans and rice. You can also roll all this up in a big flour tortilla to make it portable for lunch. I lived off of bean burritos while I was in school. Cheap and filling.

If you want something that makes a lot, keeps in the fridge and can be packaged to go, eaten at any temperature, try the Lentil Bulgar Salad from the Moosewood Cookbook (but leave out the cheese)
https://thedaintydot.com/2011/03/22/lentil-bulgur-salad-ala-moosewood/

Try a mezze of hummus, olives, pita, babaghanoush.

What about a greens only spanikopita (spinach, kale, chard, dandelion, arugula, any or all or any combination, plus herbs like dill, parsley, etc). Or greens and mushrooms. Hand held food if you make individual triangle shapes. They also go well with hummus to dip.

Any kind of bean dip with veggies on bread. Hummus, white beans and oregano, black beans with sesame oil, or with capsicums and cumin.

If you ever need to impress someone with a dessert, try this:
http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2013/chocolate-coconut-macadamia-tart-recipe/
It seriously takes all of 20 minutes to put together and it's holy crap delicious and looks amazing. I took it to a potluck once and everyone became convinced I'm some kind of fancy-ass chef. No one believed how easy it is.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Coronation chicken
Shredded Chicken
shredded carrots
diced celery
golden raisins
slivered almonds
mayonnaise
curry powder
Major Grey's Mango Chutney

Boil up some pasta and you have Coronation Chicken pasta salad.

Dredge beef in flour, fry
Add chopped carrots and potatoes
add some coffee
Coffee Stew!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Some good summer lunch dishes, all with lots of recipes ready to google:

Gazpacho -- the basic red version is tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, onion, bread or bread crumbs, vinegar (I prefer lemon juice) & a splash of olive oil. There are many other varieties out there, including green & white ones (involving almonds, grapes & other good non-dairy stuff).

Panzanella - Italian bread salad, basic ingredients are dry bread, ripe tomato, oil & vinegar (I prefer lemon juice), plus other veg & herbs to taste.

Fattoush - Middle eastern salad -- dried pita, chopped tomato, cucumber, peppers, lettuce, lots of parsley, lots of mint, lemon juice/olive oil/garlic dressing

Salade Nicoise - hard boiled egg, tuna, olives, lettuce, often green beans & boiled potato, dressed with oil (usually with a vinaigrette). If you put it inside a crusty bread loaf & press it overnight, the sandwich is called Pan Bagnat & it's really good too.

One of my favorite salad meals is: lettuce, shredded carrots, corn, artichoke hearts, oil-packed tuna & croutons, dressed with a lemon-juice vinaigrette.

Last edited: