Help me find my first favorite romance

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I never read a romance until after I had published my first romance. My publisher asked me things like what other romances I liked, what similar authors in my genre could possibly write a blurb for me, etc. It was embarrassing because I could not even name one other romance author. All I had read at that point was horror, SCIFI, or women's fiction.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Romance is a lot broader than many people think it is, in terms of setting, heat level, and the personalities involved. I had no idea for a long time that the genre wasn't dominated by bodice rippers with alpha male and rapist lead characters. That style of romance novel were the ones that tended to end up in the very paltry "mass market paperback" fiction section of grocery stores and drug stores when I was younger.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest my book because the male is not very alpha, but there's a ton of playful messing with each other, so you might not like it. ;)
For me, there's a big difference if it's mutual vs one way... my MC's are good at sarcasm, and have fun with it -- but they both definitely get as good as they give, and it's affectionate. When things get ugly they get serious.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
His claim not to understand my signals (and words) because I liked being touched, caressed and tickled "sometimes" always came across as disingenuous to me. I haven't had any trouble of this kind with any of the other men I've been involved with over the years, so I think most men are perfectly capable of understanding what women do and don't want--especially when women tell them.
Um, yeah. Diagnosis: the guy was a dick. This all sounds very controlling, glad you're well out of it!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more or less out of the adult romance loop, but I used to love Kay Hooper back in the day... she wrote a lot for Loveswept, but her books are harder to find now than many because she's good.

I've read a bunch of LGBT YA in the last six months, if you want those... some are outright love stories, some not so much.

Oh, oh, oh! *snaps fingers* SEA OF TRANQUILITY, by Katja Millay is a really great love story that had me sniffling more than once before the end. Technically YA, but definitely on the longer and deeper end of the spectrum.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just read A Precious Jewel, which is the first romance I've read in many years (aside from a few fantasy genre/romance hybrids like some of Mercedes Lackey's novels and Maria V. Snyder's stuff, though those get shelved with fantasy as a rule). Some interesting thoughts.

1. Yeah, the MMC was no "alpha" male, which was refreshing (I tend to be pretty uninterested in many of the standard romance heroes). Though I loathe the terms alpha and beta male, both because they're concepts that are misunderstood and misapplied, even when used in the animal behavioral contexts the terms were intended for, and because the overwhelming majority of men (and human beings) are complex, multidimensional creatures who have areas where they are competent and confident and areas where they are less so.

2. It was written in omniscient, which was a bit of a surprise. For some reason, I thought romances tended to be written more in limited third with switching back and forth between the pov of the two main characters. It was done competently (didn't confuse me or feel like head hopping), but I felt the narrative might have been more intense, and there'd have been more tension, if it had done something like this rather than having a more filtered perspective that let me know what both characters were thinking in each scene.

3. But #2 could be a function of what I've become used to in terms of narratives. Also, the book was written a while ago now, so maybe that's part of what makes the narrative feel a bit bland.

4. It was a sweet, satisfying story, but I didn't feel the chemistry crackling, except for a relatively short time in the story. Some of it may have been because the MMC was so in denial of his feelings for most of it, and he wasn't an especially lusty sort (a real milktoast lover at the beginning, and she lay back and did what he said). And yeah, he was kind of nasty sometimes, because of his own fears. Not unrealistic, but I'd probably have gotten a lot angrier at him than the FMC did. Of course, culture and time period is a hard thing to reconcile sometimes.

5. It read really fast. I finished it in less than a day, which I haven't been able to do for a fantasy or SF book for a long time (they usually take a week at least, unless I'm able to dedicate a lot of hours at a stretch reading). Some of it's probably because SFF books are longer (it's hard to say how many words a given ebook is, exactly, but most adult fantasy is well over 100k words, while I suspect this book was a fair bit shorter), but also the narrative was very smooth in a way that fantasy narratives tend not to be. There was a lot more narrative summary, for instance (maybe because it's in omniscient, but fantasy novels in omni tend to be denser reads too).

So interesting to try something different. I'll have to read a couple more to see whether and how they differ.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I never read a romance until after I had published my first romance. My publisher asked me things like what other romances I liked, what similar authors in my genre could possibly write a blurb for me, etc. It was embarrassing because I could not even name one other romance author. All I had read at that point was horror, SCIFI, or women's fiction.

Same here.

Like the OP, I wrote a story then realised it was a romance. I'd never read a single romance novel.

For what it's worth, the first one I read that I loved was Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie. I'd been compared to her by agents and readers so I thought her novels were a good place to start.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
1. Yeah, the MMC was no "alpha" male, which was refreshing (I tend to be pretty uninterested in many of the standard romance heroes). Though I loathe the terms alpha and beta male, both because they're concepts that are misunderstood and misapplied, even when used in the animal behavioral contexts the terms were intended for, and because the overwhelming majority of men (and human beings) are complex, multidimensional creatures who have areas where they are competent and confident and areas where they are less so.

This is something I take issue with as well. I don't think anyone who's not an alpha male is a beta male. They just don't think of themselves as pack animals. This is interesting, because our close relatives, such as chimpanzees and gorillas, do have such "pack" dynamics, where a dominant male gets sexual access to all the females, and the other males get little or none. But human behavior is not really like this.

I think this is a behavior humans are evolving / acculturating away from - you know, like cannibalism. Somehow perhaps our "baser" instincts still retain some memory of it, though. Romance novels reflect a "have your cake and eat it too" female fantasy. Get the alpha male, but don't share him with all the other females in the harem.

4. It was a sweet, satisfying story, but I didn't feel the chemistry crackling, except for a relatively short time in the story. Some of it may have been because the MMC was so in denial of his feelings for most of it, and he wasn't an especially lusty sort (a real milktoast lover at the beginning, and she lay back and did what he said). And yeah, he was kind of nasty sometimes, because of his own fears. Not unrealistic, but I'd probably have gotten a lot angrier at him than the FMC did. Of course, culture and time period is a hard thing to reconcile sometimes.

The denial of feelings and nastiness bothers me sometimes, but if was justified for his character, I could probably accept it. And likewise her tolerance of it. I actually prefer it when women act at least somewhat appropriate to the period, instead of being fiercely independent women. It's fine instead to see the internal conflict of them wanting to be fiercely independent women, but knowing that that can't fly in their society / feeling shame about those feelings because they've internalized what they've been taught about how a lady is supposed to be.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the first one I read that I loved was Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie. I'd been compared to her by agents and readers so I thought her novels were a good place to start.

Well, Fred seems like the perfect beta male. I read a sample and I like him already.

Too bad he's a dog.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Fred seems like the perfect beta male. I read a sample and I like him already.

Too bad he's a dog.

:D

The human lead is a pretty good male too, thankfully. Definitely not an alpha-hole male.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think the whole alpha male thing has become a cultural meme perpetuated by guys with an agenda and who have no understanding of human psychology or animal behavior (wolf biologists won't even use the term "alpha wolf" anymore, because what were once called alpha wolves are the breeding pair and the rest of the pack are their offspring who will leave to find their own mates if they live long enough).

Gorillas
, Bonobos (our closest relatives), and common chimps actually have very different social systems, as do other kinds of primates, and humans seem to be characterized by the greatest social flexibility, which makes sense, as we're arguably the most social mammal of all, and while we certainly have leaders, unequal access to resources, and social hierarchies, they're much more fluid and situational than with many animals.

But the concept has taken hold in pop culture, and it's created an idea that if a guy doesn't push other people (especially women) around, he's a wimp and not properly masculine. Bleh. And in real life, there are plenty of ordinary guys (and gals) who find love. In fact, if you look at the rhetoric on those sites dedicated to reclaiming masculinity, they label men who form monogamous attachments (the kind of relationship promoted in most romances) to women as "beta males" and sneer at them.

Out of curiosity, in M/M romance, is there often a dom/sub (or alpha/beta) dynamic that's promoted, or are the relationships that are developed in the stories more likely to be between equals? How about for F/F romance?

The denial of feelings and nastiness bothers me sometimes, but if was justified for his character, I could probably accept it. And likewise her tolerance of it. I actually prefer it when women act at least somewhat appropriate to the period, instead of being fiercely independent women. It's fine instead to see the internal conflict of them wanting to be fiercely independent women, but knowing that that can't fly in their society / feeling shame about those feelings because they've internalized what they've been taught about how a lady is supposed to be.

The challenge is it's really hard for most modern women to relate to women who believe in their heart of hearts that men are better and smarter and that their rightful place was subordinate and a man might even have the right to maintain his status with an open hand (he hits me because he loves me and wants to help me be a better wife--people feel this way, even today, but it makes most of us cringe). Not the kind of fantasy most want to be swept up in, even if a lot of women believed this in the 1800s or whenever.

But consider that there were a lot of strong pioneer wives and buisinesswomen in the old days too, and women played roles in the American revolution and fought slavery too.

But the thing is, there have been rebellious, strong, brilliant, and extraordinary women throughout history. They may not have been modern feminists, but they weren't anyone's fool, and many did rail against the strictures of society and find ways to circumvent them. There were also women who didn't rebel openly, but they found ways to get what they wanted. There were women fighting the status quo in the 1800s (and earlier), and there were women who were scientists, artists, writers, and intellectuals. Sadly, they don't teach as much about them in school as they should.

So historical fiction and historical romances that focus on women who have attitudes that are at least somewhat relatable to modern readers aren't completely unrealistic. There's probably a reasonable compromise between modern people walking around in period costume and writing characters that make modern readers cringe.

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I think the whole alpha male thing has become a cultural meme perpetuated by guys with an agenda and who have no understanding of human psychology or animal behavior

Isn't it perpetuated by women too? After all, it's not men who are writing and reading most romance novels.

But the concept has taken hold in pop culture, and it's created an idea that if a guy doesn't push other people (especially women) around, he's a wimp and not properly masculine.

OMG that's the worst. I actually think there's something potentially admirable in alpha-maledom in terms of pushing other males around, in a career sense. Maybe it shows leadership and gets things done. (I still would prefer to see everyone working together as equals and getting things done, but if that isn't meant to be I can appreciate the alternative.) In a perfect world, men and women would be equal in the workplace and an alpha male pushing women around in that context would be acceptable too, or an alpha female pushing around beta males. But in the context of the world we live in, this is not okay, because it reinforces the gender prejudices of our society instead of ranking by merit.

But absolutely, in a romantic relationship, this kind of pushing around is right out. That kind of relationship should be of equals by definition, and never have any kind of hierarchy. And even if the hero's alpha male characteristics only show up in dealings with secondary characters, I don't believe he can perfectly compartmentalize such things. A woman who thrills at a man fighting to defend her honor should not be surprised when that same man is quick to anger against her.

In fact, if you look at the rhetoric on those sites dedicated to reclaiming masculinity, they label men who form monogamous attachments (the kind of relationship promoted in most romances) to women as "beta males" and sneer at them.

I'm all for sneering at monogamy as the only option on the grounds that it is not biologically natural, and that being forced into it drives us crazy with repressed urges and makes us hate ourselves when we fail to live up to an arbitrary standard, but only if the logic applies equally to both genders. I don't buy that the only way to consider yourself a success as a man is to bed as many women as possible.

"Reclaiming masculinity" makes me cringe. Actually it just makes me laugh, because at least everyone I associate with knows the guys who espouse that stuff are a joke. "Reclaiming" is a dead giveaway that we're dealing with a reactionary political philosophy. It also kind of suggests taking it from someone, doesn't it? Women have encroached upon masculinity, and we're going to mark our territory so they know to keep out. And it's not really about promoting any positive qualities that are masculine, is it? It's about shunning anything feminine, which implies feminine is a bad thing.

The challenge is it's really hard for most modern women to relate to women who believe in their heart of hearts that men are better and smarter and that their rightful place was subordinate and a man might even have the right to maintain his status with an open hand (he hits me because he loves me and wants to help me be a better wife--people feel this way, even today, but it makes most of us cringe). Not the kind of fantasy most want to be swept up in, even if a lot of women believed this in the 1800s or whenever.

That's an extreme. If you look at the heroines of Jane Austen, who ought to know what she's talking about, none of them would say they're worse or dumber than their male peers, though they might say that they have a different (not necessarily lesser or subordinate) place in society than men. They wouldn't necessarily be openly defiant to men, though. They wouldn't necessarily be openly defiant to anyone. They'd be tactful or witty. This is where I grate most at modern characters in period costume. It's not that they're unfeminine. It's that they're un-genteel.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
It was a sweet, satisfying story, but I didn't feel the chemistry crackling, except for a relatively short time in the story.

Mary Balogh tends to go for emotion rather than chemistry (not to say you can't have both). But yeah, A Precious Jewel subverts the trope where the hero gives the heroine multiple orgasms on their first encounter, and that's very much in character for both Gerald and Priscilla. As you point out, he's a lousy lover at the start because he's so uncomfortable with intimacy of any kind, and she's paid to do whatever he wants.

So interesting to try something different. I'll have to read a couple more to see whether and how they differ.

Glad you had an interesting experience!

Maybe it shows leadership and gets things done. (I still would prefer to see everyone working together as equals and getting things done, but if that isn't meant to be I can appreciate the alternative.)

I have to agree. Some of my romances are set on sailing ships (after I fell in love with Master and Commander), and the captains are all alphas in that they make the decisions and give the orders, no matter what their gender. There's really no functional alternative to this chain of command.

But they're not alphas in the sense of the word meaning arrogant, hypersexual, misogynistic, bullying, etc.

But absolutely, in a romantic relationship, this kind of pushing around is right out. That kind of relationship should be of equals by definition, and never have any kind of hierarchy.

I'm fine with one character having a lesser social status or military rank than another, as long as it's clear they're both equals in their relationship. And that they both have something of value to bring to the table.

One of the reviews for a romance of mine said it was great how Jason, the hero, never felt threatened by Lera, the heroine, being much better at sword-fighting than he was. A friend read that review, frowned and said to me, "Well, of course she's better. He's a public health inspector and she's the captain of a warship. If she wasn't a better fighter than him, it'd be a sorry state of affairs for the navy!"

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with one character having a lesser social status or military rank than another, as long as it's clear they're both equals in their relationship. And that they both have something of value to bring to the table.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Not that there's something wrong with "marrying below your station", or with one partner being a warrior and the other lacking physical prowess. Just that that's put aside when they're together behind closed doors.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score

As a fantasy, maybe not. And I guess most people read romance for fantasy.

But is it relevant? Back to Jane Austen, I think her novels are some of the most feminist, because she was writing in an era when feminism was primarily an internal conflict. Internal conflict is just more interesting to me (maybe this is somewhere else I differ from most genre readers?). And feminism as an internal conflict is still relevant today. It's not only about the glass ceiling and getting past men who stand in your way. It's about overcoming concerns that if you're too successful or too outspoken men will find you unappealing. It's about tough choices between career and children and self - you can probably only have two out of three.

They aren't the same conflicts. Today women don't have to face the choice between a marriage of convenience and being a spinster, but it's relatable.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
As a fantasy, maybe not. And I guess most people read romance for fantasy.

Yup, I read for fantasy and escapism. I don't read much historical fiction for that reason. (Outside of some fluffy historical Romances.) I'm a feminist, but I don't always want my entertainment to constantly remind me of the frustrating sexist crap often found in life. Have had enough of some of that crap in real life, so little to none of that for me in my entertainment, thanks.

Romance is usually an escapism genre. Hence, the beautiful couples and HEA endings. It's pretty obvious it's fantasy (and many readers are fine with that).

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Isn't it perpetuated by women too? After all, it's not men who are writing and reading most romance novels.

This is what puzzles me, as I associate the term "alpha male" when applied to humans with the pseudoscience trumpeted by the "men's rights" and "PUA" movements. Why would women want to use the term for a type of male hero in romance, especially when the term could definitely mean different things to different readers? My guess is that it's convenient.

How long has the term been used by romance readers and writers? Is it possible the men's movement lifted it for their own purposes and are citing romance novels as evidence that women really like controlling, pushy men?

OMG that's the worst. I actually think there's something potentially admirable in alpha-maledom in terms of pushing other males around, in a career sense.

I don't agree here, and one issue is that in a career sense, men aren't just competing with other men these days. Of course, it depends what you mean by pushy. I think there's a huge difference between being assertive or taking the initiative in professional settings when it's needed and with being aggressive, though society still tends to measure men and women against different meters when it comes to assigning these labels.

Different strategies and tactics between individuals and the genders in professional environments, and their affect on the upward mobility of women in these professions, is of course a major topic unto itself. And as you said, it's a different situation than romance or everyday social life. In fact, many people are very good at being decisive, even ruthless in some situations and accommodating and gentle in others. I think the idea that some people are just "dominant" in general is rather overstated.

I'm all for sneering at monogamy as the only option on the grounds that it is not biologically natural, and that being forced into it drives us crazy with repressed urges and makes us hate ourselves when we fail to live up to an arbitrary standard, but only if the logic applies equally to both genders.

What do you mean not biologically natural? It works for many species of animal, and for many human couples, and there is a lot to be said for it in terms of stability and having someone at your back when you need them. Every reproductive strategy has a cost-benefit breakdown.

Personally, I'm a strong bonder who does not have the emotional energy to maintain more than one romantic relationship at a time. My partner is my best friend as well as someone I like to have sex with, and when I'm really in love with someone, I still experience attraction to others, but it's not paired with a strong desire or need to act on such. Especially since I know that (for me) it takes some practice with a new partner before the "what works" for bringing physical pleasure issues is hashed out.

But I accept that people are not all the same here. The hard part is when strong, monogamous bonders fall for people who have a different romantic orientation and vice versa, and when it becomes clear that the couple is incompatible for a long-term commitment, one or both resorts to manipulation, shaming, and deception to get what they need from the other.

That's an extreme. If you look at the heroines of Jane Austen, who ought to know what she's talking about, none of them would say they're worse or dumber than their male peers, though they might say that they have a different (not necessarily lesser or subordinate) place in society than men. They wouldn't necessarily be openly defiant to men, though. They wouldn't necessarily be openly defiant to anyone. They'd be tactful or witty. This is where I grate most at modern characters in period costume. It's not that they're unfeminine. It's that they're un-genteel.

This is exactly my point--there were intelligent and motivated women in the old days, even when they did mostly adapt (externally) to the traditional roles of their time and place.

But un-genteel, even scandalously rebellious, women existed in the old days too, and some of them found love and have stories worth telling too.

The thing that's always a fly in the ointment for me with period romances is the contraception thing. Women did have sex, sometimes before marriage, but even after marriage, the consequences for having lots of sex were pretty severe--near constant pregnancy. This would be terrifying and really put a damper on things for women when it came to enjoying sex.

Even though most women want children, pregnancy and childbearing were quite literally life threatening back then. Yet the only fear women in most romance novels ever seem to have over pregnancy is the loss of reputation and not being able to care for the child. They never seem to be scared of the illness and exhaustion associated with pregnancy, nor of dying, nor are they ever anxious about what being pregnant year in and out would do to them (and their relationship) once they were married to their hero.

This was touched on in A Precious Jewel, where the MMC's mother had run away from his father because of repeated pregnancies, stillbirths, and miscarriages (heh-
-maybe she was rh negative and he was her firstborn). But there was also this implication that douching within an hour after sex is effective contraception (it isn't) and that douching 3x a day wouldn't carry significant health risks of its own. I have no doubt that women had tricks to reduce the risk of pregnancy in the olden days, but I don't think any of them were nearly as effective as modern contraception.

But as a reader, I prefer hot, sultry romances with some sex scenes, and the female character being constantly worried about pregnancy would put a damper on this, so I can see how there's this trade off between realism and history (since romances are about fantasy).

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are species of animals that are "monogamous", in a sense.

I would like to think humans are varied beings that aren't total slaves to "biology". I like monogamy, as supposedly "unnatural" as it is. *rolls eyes* I would hope if I wanted to have a romantic partner, I would find a partner that thinks the same as me, and not cheat and use the "biology" stuff as an excuse for said cheating...

(Cheaters make my blood boil. They're low on the shit list waaaay below rapists, molesters, murderers and abusers, of course, but they're still hovering on that shit list.

Poly is fine, as long as everyone consents to it. Just don't sneak it onto others who don't want that, or force/coerce reluctant people into such arrangements, etc.)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are species of animals that are "monogamous", in a sense.

There are a surprising number, actually. It's most common in birds than mammals, but it shows up fairly often in mammals, including some primate species.

Note, that monogamy can mean sticking with one mate for a single season or breeding cycle and finding a new one the next (serial monogamy--which some voles and songbirds do), or separating at the end of a season but coming back to the same mate as long as both are alive (like the Albatross), or living permanently with said mate as the nucleus of a persistent social group (as wolves do).

The main advantage of monogamy seems to be greater chance of survival of offspring with both parents (and sometimes adolescent or young adult offspring from previous breedings) caring for them.

I would like to think humans are varied beings that aren't total slaves to "biology".

Many biologists would agree with you. It seems to be a very common view, though I don't know what the relative numbers are on various points of the nature versus nurture continuum.

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean not biologically natural? It works for many species of animal, and for many human couples,

Does it? Even most of the bird species that we think of as the most devoted pair bonders are actually gettin' some strange on the side. Just because they return to the same mate year after year and are devoted parents, doesn't mean that they don't ever stray. But in any case, it certainly appears to be unnatural for humans, judging by our nearest relatives. Judging by humans themselves, as you said there are a lot of variations across cultures. It's impossible to say what humans' "natural" mating behavior would be without religion and culture.

and there is a lot to be said for it in terms of stability and having someone at your back when you need them.

No argument there. But those things are more cultural than biological. And other reproductive strategies, such as polygamous tribal group with shared responsibility are probably even more stable.

Personally, I'm a strong bonder who does not have the emotional energy to maintain more than one romantic relationship at a time.

But even that only specifies serial monogamy. Traditional western society holds people to an even stricter standard: lifetime monogamy (in the old days in the strictest sense, at least for women). Some people live up to that standard, but not without a lot of effort. Most don't. Even if you exclude premarital sex, between marriages that end in divorce and marriages that have at least one incident of cheating, certainly perfectly monogamous couples are in the minority.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with monogamy, and there is at least that minority who never even want to stray. Only that a lot of people feel obligated to be monogamous when it isn't actually the most comfortable thing for them.

Personally I think I'm open to polygamous tendencies, but I'm married to a very monogamous woman, so I'm happy to live a monogamous lifestyle.

The thing that's always a fly in the ointment for me with period romances is the contraception thing. Women did have sex, sometimes before marriage, but even after marriage, the consequences for having lots of sex were pretty severe--near constant pregnancy. This would be terrifying and really put a damper on things for women when it came to enjoying sex.

I tend to think the overwhelming passion and reckless abandon of new love can overcome such prudence. This doesn't lead to near-constant pregnancy, only the first pregnancy, though sometimes inconvenient if unmarried. I do agree that in olden times the passion probably wore off, but the book usually ends before that.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, nice to know I'm even more of a minority than I thought I was, lol! XD Apparently, monogamy is too much for many human beings. Wow, it's a real drag to be so "unnatural".

How nice and reassuring. Not.

Sounds like real life romance sucks even more than I thought it already did.

I'm so glad I'm not interested in dating at the moment.

ETA: This was posted before morningstar's last post below this one. I apologize. This is a knee jerk reaction to finding out I may have even more trouble finding a future romantic partner than I already have, being lesbian and all. It's bad enough being lesbian, but now I'm an unnatural lesbian? A minority of a minority, of sorts? That feels like it narrows down my romantic choices a lot more. ;_;

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to think humans are varied beings that aren't total slaves to "biology".

I never said otherwise. I alluded to my personal theory that cannibalism is actually "natural" for humans: other apes do it, and many ancient civilizations did it too. That doesn't mean it's okay. Of course monogamy is okay, and not monogamy is okay. That's all consensual.

I like monogamy, as supposedly "unnatural" as it is. *rolls eyes*

Nothing wrong with liking unnatural things. Airplanes are unnatural. I think they're pretty keen.

I would hope if I wanted to have a romantic partner, I would find a partner that thinks the same as me, and not cheat and use the "biology" stuff as an excuse for said cheating...

Agreed. Biology is not an excuse for anything. It's especially not an excuse for anything you explicitly agreed not to do. If you feel like your biology makes you unable to be monogamous, then don't enter into a relationship with a person who expects monogamy.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
In case my ETA was missed, I wanted to apologize if my tone sounded harsh. It's just a knee jerk reaction to being told I'm a minority, (let alone an unnatural minority, which sounds even worse to me, lol).

It's bad enough being a (currently closeted) lesbian, lol. Now I'm even more of a minority, wanting some monogamy. ;_; It doesn't sound reassuring to me, if I wanted to find a romantic partner in the future. Hmm....

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
But as a reader, I prefer hot, sultry romances with some sex scenes, and the female character being constantly worried about pregnancy would put a damper on this, so I can see how there's this trade off between realism and history (since romances are about fantasy).

In Courtney Milan's The Countess Conspiracy, the heroine has been pregnant at least a dozen times by her late husband, and all those pregnancies ended in miscarriage. Her health was affected more and more each time. As a result, she's terrified of sex, but once she consents to it with the hero, he uses contraception. "Vulcanized rubber", IIRC. So there's at least one hot sex scene, but the heroine's fear of sex did cast something of a pall over the start of the book.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
This is a knee jerk reaction to finding out I may have even more trouble finding a future romantic partner than I already have, being lesbian and all. It's bad enough being lesbian, but now I'm an unnatural lesbian? A minority of a minority, of sorts? That feels like it narrows down my romantic choices a lot more. ;_;

If it makes you feel any better, this is not scientific but just anecdotal impression: I think women tend to be more monogamous than men. Which by induction should give relationships between two women the highest rate of monogamy. I certainly get the impression that promiscuity is above average in gay men.

Also, being mostly monogamous is quite common, unnatural as it may be.

Last edited: