Is this a 'chosen one' cliche?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semolinaro

Always lost in thought.
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my WIPs, my main character Faye has the power to control all five types of luck without using a trinket (like a four leafed clover, rabbit's foot, etc.). There is an organization of chancers (people who can manipulate luck and fortune) who wants to use her abilities to help achieve their goals, but she believes they are crazy and doesn't really go along with their plans. I'm just wondering... is this a chosen one cliche? I really don't like this cliche as it's really overused, but it just kind of happened in this case. I wanted to twist it so that the main villain, who has the same power as Faye only with bad luck, was underestimated and what was expected of Faye turned out to be completely wrong. Even still, it feels a bit chosen one to me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
It does sound like a "chosen one" to me, yes.

However, that doesn't have to be bad, not necessarily. If, as a reader, I get a believable reason as to why this specific person is the way she is and different from everyone else, why they specifically must do whatever it is that they must do, and why this story needs to be THEIR story, I can go along with the cliche/trope. As long as her chosen one-ness isn't the main point of her existence and the only thing a reader will remember about her once they finish reading the book, I'd say it's fine.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
There is a reason why cliches are used.

It's because they work.

People like to see themselves inside the shoes of the "chosen one," and yes, that makes for a much wider audience for the story.

I DO think this is a chosen one cliche, but it doesn't necessarily make the story weaker.

Just write your story and don't worry about cliches. The only people who hate cliches are critics. If your story is well-written, you can use every cliche in the book (like the one I just used) and people will still read it.

CL Polk

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't see "chosen one" here. I see "Unreasonably talented" here, but I don't see anything that indicates that Faye has all the talents because she is the saviour of las vegas as foretold in the prophecy....

semolinaro

Always lost in thought.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. I just happened to think of something that may twist it...

Faye's father, instead, was a powerful chancer who could control all the lucks without a trinket. Because of this, a lot of pressure is put on Faye because they believe her to have the same talents as him, but she really struggles and even fails multiple times in the beginning while trying to master her luck. This could instead change it so that she has to earn and work for her powers as opposed to just having them.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
It would be more of a trope than a cliche, right? I always thought that tropes were more common themes and ideas for stories where as cliches were more like overused phrases or sentences. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, there. I've never been quite sure about that.

As for your idea, I'm big on the "chosen one" trope and use multiple variations of it myself. I would consider not worrying about whether things are cliche or not. I seek out the same themes over and over to see different authors' takes on them (example, zombies). It's all about how YOU execute an idea, and for the record, your idea sounds pretty original to me.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't see "chosen one" here. I see "Unreasonably talented" here, but I don't see anything that indicates that Faye has all the talents because she is the saviour of las vegas as foretold in the prophecy....

I agree, I don't see "chosen one" here either. It's more like that history teacher who was always on your case about joining the basketball team because you happen to be very tall. From what you say, it sounds like her powers are genetic, and the only people "choosing" her is the organization.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'll chime in that this also doesn't sound like the 'chosen one' trope to me. If Faye is overpowered, however, then she might be a 'Mary Sue', but you say she fails often at first. That doesn't sound Mary-Sueish, so you're probably fine. :)

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
A chosen one would be approached and expected to achieve something great before she even knows she has the powers. From your description, it sounds more like something she's already aware of? And the organization approaches her because they've seen her do her thing? In that case, she'd just be a Very Talented One, which is perfectly okay.

AbielsMaker

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think the "Chosen one" trope/cliche can or will be overdone. I think we all dream of being something better than we are, to be special, to be chosen. We typically all love stories of redemption and overcoming the odds. The "chosen one" stories typically have such elements. Its what draws us in...seeing this person who most likely shouldn't be chosen, yet they rise and conquer. They give hope. The make us dream and hope for change in our own world, our own lives.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I like your twist on it, and that she needs to struggle with her powers before she gets them. Chosen ones are a problem when they're done lazily, and when either 1. the only reason the character is important is because they're chosen, even if they're completely useless or 2. everything falls into the character's lap because they're the chosen one and victory is a given. Hell, one of my favorite series is about a farm-boy who turns out to be a powerful mage and rightful king of a roman-style empire. By the time I realized this, I was already knee deep in the story and too invested to be bothered.

Also, mitigating factors: None of those trinkets sound very hard to come by so it seems to me that if she doesn't cooperate with the organization, she could be replaced by a couple other chancers without much loss to them. She's not the only person with her power. She's not the strongest person with her power. And she doesn't have perfect control.

Status
Not open for further replies.