It's been so many years, but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
...started writing again.

I've written 3 novels thus far. One, my first, was a monster at over 550,000 words. It's unpublishable without splitting it into around 6 books with HEAVY rewriting to make them stand-alone. No budding author can sell a series as their first novel.

The other is a thriller/fantasy, and horrifying (I had nightmares writing it, which only made it better, IMO) but it's poorly written and the first 50 pages or so are so sloppy it would take a full rewrite. Shorter, around 130k words. Still a bit too long for a "first" novel, by general standards. 100k is usually the limit, but meh.

The last I feel is publishable, but I never sent out queries unlike the first two. The beginning needs some work, but I feel it could go out on shelves. 110k words.

It's been something like 4-6 years since I wrote that book. My wife suddenly said to me, "You need to write." She's said this to me plenty of times before, but it's never clicked. Suddenly, it did. I think it was a mix of me playing the DS game Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Nine Hours, which is a visual novel game, and me reading Gene Wolfe's latest A Borrowed Man, both mysteries. I suddenly wanted to attempt a mystery.

I am hoping to do so with an unreliable narrator. My current idea is interdimensional-- 3 connected dimensional timelines. One world (dimension) is post-apocalyptic, the other two are also the same world but on different timelines. While I plan to write a mystery, I have never been able to write a novel without warfare and the main character is always a strategist of some sort (damn you, ROTK!).

My second novel, When a Phoenix Falls from Flight, was a thriller/fantasy, but somehow the protagonist ended up a soldier and ended up having a small army, with a rather grotesque ending.

Characters write themselves into the novel, and the story kills off characters I intended to keep alive, and vice versa. Generally, the novels write themselves the way that seems most logical for the story, as the characters gain personality. I know a lot of authors find it hard to lose the outline they had planned for their novel and scrap it.... I digress.

Which made me come to realize a few things. We, as we grow older, have a tendency to lose our old passions. I haven't written since before my son was born. Before I was married. As I got married, my dream of teaching the martial arts also went away (slightly because my sensei moved away, and my other sensei passed away). Last year, I got into a new martial art, aikido, and am learning back from square one. But the desire is still there to teach. As I did jujitsu before, I'd like an aiki-jutsu school one day.

Yet, the other passion I gave up on was my writing. It took me years to write my first novel, Enter the Glade. It took me about a month to write When a Phoenix Falls from Flight (I did so entirely in NaNoWriMo), and another year for And the Sun Dims. Somehow, a flame sparked in me again.

What goals have you given up on over the years? Are they still viable? How has life gotten in your way of realizing them?

I'm day 2 on my novel and 10k words. I hope I can keep it up, but I start my work week tomorrow and it will likely slow to a crawl.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Nick. I remember you too.

When I first started writing I wanted to write crime fiction, I came close to getting an agent, but one day it dawned on me that I didn't like reading crime that much. Now, historical novels where a different matter.

My Dad passed away suddenly last May, and I gave up on writing until recently (honestly, I didn't think I would ever come back). So I'm just like you, trying to find my feet again. :)

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I remember you. Good to see you. Welcome back. :)

Thanks! It's great to be back. I remember this place being VEEEEERRRYY helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Nick. I remember you too.

When I first started writing I wanted to write crime fiction, I came close to getting an agent, but one day it dawned on me that I didn't like reading crime that much. Now, historical novels where a different matter.

My Dad passed away suddenly last May, and I gave up on writing until recently (honestly, I didn't think I would ever come back). So I'm just like you, trying to find my feet again. :)
I'm very sorry to hear about your father passing about. I can imagine it could be very difficult to pick up an old passion after losing a loved one. I'm glad that you've recently rekindled the fire, though.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's all about routine. Once I get in the routine of writing, it goes great. If something happens that kills my routine, I have had years go by without writing a single word. I recently got sick, and haven't written anything in over a week. It's calling to me, nagging at me. I've got to get back to it, today, right now so that a year doesn't fly by without words.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My original dream was to become a manga artist and write graphic novels, like Dragonball or Gundam Wing. Got a severe case of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 11 and it took ten years to get it under control, by which point I had given up drawing. It was just too painful, and I didn't have a teacher (manga wasn't in the mainstream in the 90s, so if you didn't have self-help books, you were stuck).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
...started writing again.

I've written 3 novels thus far. One, my first, was a monster at over 550,000 words. It's unpublishable without splitting it into around 6 books with HEAVY rewriting to make them stand-alone. No budding author can sell a series as their first novel.

I know some who have, though the initial contract may just have been for the first 2-3 books. Maybe it's genre dependent, though. In fantasy there's an idea that singletons from unknown authors don't sell well and it takes a series to build a readership. It helps if each book in the series stands alone, though.

Still, I can't think of a debut novel, even in fantasy, that was that long. It's hard to find that balance between writing what you want to read and writing something that is marketable.

WB, though, and have fun with your new project :)

Last edited:

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes. About 50k words into the novel now and going strong.

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
/.../and me reading Gene Wolfe's latest A Borrowed Man, both mysteries. I suddenly wanted to attempt a mystery./.../

Thanks for that; I had no idea the man was still at it. You can still write badass stuff when you're in your mid-eighties? Ha! But now I checked, and Jack Higgins and le Carre, at the same age, are also still at it.
...This changes everything :D

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that; I had no idea the man was still at it. You can still write badass stuff when you're in your mid-eighties? Ha! But now I checked, and Jack Higgins and le Carre, at the same age, are also still at it.
...This changes everything :D

Yes. A bit shorter and lighter than some of his other works, it's still very good. Some people say wine gets better with age? Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.