Not your childhood pantry

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we were "the landed poor" -- 7 acre mini-farm in New England. Dad was working days, and going to night-school to get his engineering degree. Mom stayed home with my sister and I, grew a huge vegetable garden, canned a lot of it, and cooked & baked every day.

We had a Jersey cow for milk (whole milk), cream, butter and ice cream (hand-churned), and chickens and ducks for eggs and meat.

We also raised the occasional pig for pork, and young steer for beef. I think we ate "everything but the oink and moo" -- after getting an animal butchered, the freezer was full of steaks, pork sausage, pork chops, hamburger, etc. By the time we were getting to the bottom of the chest freezer, it was all organ meats, brain, tongue, feet, etc. Ew.

Very occasionally we'd have a "processed" food for a treat, like jello or koolaid. Or pasta -- we didn't make our own. Nor cheese. Breakfast cereal was a treat; more often breakfast was eggs, bacon, potato hash browns, cooked oatmeal or "cream of wheat".

Mostly, though, what we ate was what we grew. Spaghetti, lasagna or pizza was made with homemade tomato sauce, with carrots, peppers, from the garden etc. Pizza meat toppings were our own pork sausage or ground beef -- getting "exotics" like pepperoni was only via an occasional visit at the local pizza place in town.

We picked fruit to can, and make into jams, pie fillings, and butters -- peaches, pears, apples, strawberries (we tried to grow our own strawberries, but never had much luck). We had concord grape vines for jams and canned juice -- to this day, I can't stand the taste of commercial jams or jellies, especially grape, and make all my own. Most of the time, we looked for orchards that would let you pick "drops" -- fruit on the ground -- for less money. A lot of what was on the ground was good enough for eating out of hand, but if not, the odd bruise could be cut out, and didn't matter for jam.

My childhood pantry was in the basement: a large chest freezer, and multiple shelves my dad built of 2x4s and plywood, filled with jars of canned fruit, vegetables, meat, sauces, jams, etc.

All that being said, as an adult I learned that my mom's cooking, while hearty, was pretty unimaginative. She had a small set of staple recipes that she made, over an over. A lot of that was working with the small budget they had. They didn't raise all that food out of some hippy back-to-the-land movement (it was the Sixties), but because they couldn't afford to do otherwise.

Today, it's easy to find recipes online. Cooking shows. Cookbooks for any cuisine. Exotic ingredients; fruits, spices, vegetables, etc. I do most of the cooking, because I enjoy it, whereas I really think my mom didn't enjoy it -- she happily switched to more processed foods and eating out more often, as my dad's income rose over the years.

There are few foods from childhood that I loathe to this day: Liver is one.

Things in my pantry that I might not've liked as a kid? Hmm. Dal (several kinds). Balsamic vinegar. Hot sauces & hot peppers (mom's cooking was often on the bland side). Flaked coconut -- mom would get the sugared kind, which I didn't and don't like; I get unsweetened. Canned artichokes.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love me some liver and onions - (even as a child, I looked forward to it) - But I opted for a PB&J sammich on the occasions we had kidneys - Eww, eww, EWW!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
My mom was not a good cook. We ate casseroles of noodles, frozen veg, and tinned soup. Her gravy included Bisto. The main ingredient in 'hungarian goulash' was ketchup. Everything she baked came i a box. Pancakes started with Bisquick. While she was a stay-at-home-mom. So, that was as good as it got. I remember my brother, in elementary school, wrote up our mom's recipe for banana bread to be published in the school newspaper; it started with "put rotten bananas in the blender" and ended with "it's not very good." My mom thought this was hilarious because she was convinced she made amazing banana bread. It was terrible.

Funny thing is that she would be able to identify all the things in my cupboard. She just had no clue how to do anything with them. The best I can give her is that she could get exactly the right amount of honey on toast.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Split peas are dried. They store well. They are cheap. They are nutritious. They are good for the digestive system. Why weren't they around half a century ago?

They were, especially in the Southern U.S. states.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
They were, especially in the Southern U.S. states.

Lisa would likely know more about this than I would, but I'm pretty sure they were around in medieval times -- weren't they used to make pease porridge?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa would likely know more about this than I would, but I'm pretty sure they were around in medieval times -- weren't they used to make pease porridge?

Yep. Also ground to use as flour.

They were a slightly different pea than our modern dried pea; tougher skin, for instance.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yay me!

The other random pea fact I know -- the original word was "pease," singular as well as plural. "Pea" is a back formation.

That's all I've got.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
My mom is a good cook, but because she was forced to start cooking as a child for her family--her mother was disabled with multiple sclerosis--she doesn't see the process as particularly fun. For example, she would think that homemade pizza is silly.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think that homemade pizza is mostly silly, because I live in a land blessed with many excellent pizzerias and I couldn't possibly make a pizza even approaching excellence in a home oven that tops out at 550.

But I remember the years I spent in the pizza wilderness where things like Domino's were considered good... :e2bummed: The only way to get anything even resembling decent pizza in that case would have to be to rustle up ingredients and make it from scratch at home.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
By the time we were getting to the bottom of the chest freezer, it was all organ meats, brain, tongue, feet, etc. Ew....
There are few foods from childhood that I loathe to this day: Liver is one.
Liver is only very good when fresh and properly deveined of the bile glands. Few Americans I know have had it properly prepared. That said, I even liked the 60's version of liver shoe leather, especially cold as a sandwich with colby cheese. There's an enzyme, I can not remember if I have one that most don't or the reverse that allows me to like stuff like liver and brussel sprouts

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Love me some liver and onions - (even as a child, I looked forward to it) - But I opted for a PB&J sammich on the occasions we had kidneys - Eww, eww, EWW!
Kidneys decay quickly and need to be cooked or frozen immediately, same with testicles

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was just extra thick pea soup that you could use as a dip or spread?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Liver is only very good when fresh and properly deveined of the bile glands. Few Americans I know have had it properly prepared. That said, I even liked the 60's version of liver shoe leather, especially cold as a sandwich with colby cheese. There's an enzyme, I can not remember if I have one that most don't or the reverse that allows me to like stuff like liver and brussel sprouts

It's funny, because I occasionally love a liverwurst sandwich, but I've never liked the taste of cooked "just liver".

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
My mother cooked dinner most nights of the week, and looking back at what wasn't in her pantry that is in mine is more a matter of what is available now that wasn't then. She never had much processed food around the place, and she and my dad have always been reasonably adventurous eaters, for baby boomer suburbanites.

What do we have now that we didn't have in the '80s? Indian spices, African spices, "fancy" cheese like feta, heirloom and multicolored vegetables, the faddish grains like quinoa, t'eff, and spelt, exotic fruit, nut butters other than peanut butter, and fresh herbs.

What did she have then that I don't have now? Melba toast. Rice cakes. Campbell's Soup. Those are honestly all I can think of.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was just extra thick pea soup that you could use as a dip or spread?

I've made pease porridge. Sometimes not even deliberately - it's what my normal (thick) pea soup turns into after a day or two in the fridge. Eat it hot or cold, chunky or thinned out again with some water. I don't think I've ever had it nine days old, because I eat it up faster than that. Yum!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've made pease porridge. Sometimes not even deliberately - it's what my normal (thick) pea soup turns into after a day or two in the fridge. Eat it hot or cold, chunky or thinned out again with some water. I don't think I've ever had it nine days old, because I eat it up faster than that. Yum!
I really like pea soup, but not the way that my mother made it. I use split peas instead of green peas and add a lot more vegetables and make it chunky. It's partly a texture thing. I can't stand soups that have been blended down to a homogeneous consistency. If you are going to do that, then serve it in a thermos or a mug with a straw. I also don't like commercial ham but my wife does so when we buy ham, I'm quick to debone it and make stock for my soup while she eats the ham.

Last edited:

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
What's in my pantry that was never in mom's: Black pepper, garlic, vinegars, olive oil, lentils, tapioca, dried lima beans, herbes de provence, dried cane juice, maple sugar, cabbage, butter, cream, brown rice, coconut oil.

What was in her pantry that you will NEVER find in mine: canned peas and carrots (ick!); cake mix; canned asparagus; canned spinach (although she finally switched to frozen when we all mutinied against the canned stuff); fish sticks; processed American cheese; corn oil margarine; canned shortening.

I think that, like most of the ladies her age (she would have been almost 90 if she were still with us), she had one cookbook, and that was the old Joy of Cooking, the blue one with the white diagonal lines all over it. But those recipes can be pretty convoluted, so most of what she cooked came from recipes on boxes or cans or in the newspaper or that friends gave her. She made yummy spaghetti and meatballs with a sauce she made from tomato paste, but she didn't make it very often. The worst thing she made (and she made it fairly often) was something she called "beef crumble" which was browned ground beef, thickened with some flour, and then you dump a can of peas and carrots into it (water and all - for the flavor, you understand) and serve it over Bisquik. I liked the Bisquik but took as little of the crumble as I could get away with. It took years before I could eat peas voluntarily (and now I like them -- but now, I know what fresh peas taste like).

There was another thing that she used to cook and it tasted pretty good, but it's something that I never see any more. Does anyone else remember "City Chicken"?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Kidneys are quite delicious when prepared properly. Properly means that they are cooked on butchering day and cleaned prior. If you cross index foods vs warm ischemic times for organ harvest it will make sense. Take fresh kidneys, dissect out the connective tissue and cook them like the way that you like liver. It will be very tastey. Buy kidneys at the grocery store and that is dog food.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only foodstuffs I carried over from my family pantry are baking staples (flour, sugar, butter, eggs, etc.) and dried pasta (especially the Ronzoni brand), milk, dill pickles, and carrots. And the occasional lunchmeat. Everything else is different.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
My grandmother made split pea soup with dried split peas. I can picture the bag.

Mostly the difference between me and relatives is meat.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
isn't it in the definition of split pea soup that one makes it with split peas?

fresh pea soup is a completely different animal (I'm fond of both).

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
isn't it in the definition of split pea soup that one makes it with split peas?

fresh pea soup is a completely different animal (I'm fond of both).
True, but what people call it isn't always accurate. I've known many people who don't know that there are different varieties of peas.

Does anyone else remember "City Chicken"?

What was that to you? I've seen some very different versions all called the same thing. For us it was what you did with leftover breading, no actual meat in it, bind it with an egg and fry it up like a patty alongside the chicken.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
This thread is awesome.

I grew up with two very different food cultures from my parents' families (Polish and Portuguese) and parents who liked everything from Chinese to Lebanese foods, so I got exposed to all sorts of flavors and ingredients early on (versus my poor dear husband, who didn't even try Chinese food till he went to college. He's since made up for his sorry culinary upbringing.) That being said though, there's so much that I didn't get to try as a child but love now because it just wasn't available to my mom in the 70s where we lived--especially Indian and Moroccan foods and flavors.

Oh, and Mom refused to used canned vegetables or margarine, bless her. Frozen and butter, always. Though I find I eat a lot more raw veggies now than she served us as kids. And she's the source of my lifelong addiction to garlic.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
What was that to you? I've seen some very different versions all called the same thing. For us it was what you did with leftover breading, no actual meat in it, bind it with an egg and fry it up like a patty alongside the chicken.[/QUOTE]

What we called City Chicken was cubes of veal and pork on a thick wooden skewer. I guess it was supposed to look like a drumstick, with the skewer standing in for the bone. Anyway, it was breaded and fried. We liked it. But yours sounds yummy too. Breading, fried? What's not to like?