Not your childhood pantry

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For us it was what you did with leftover breading, no actual meat in it, bind it with an egg and fry it up like a patty alongside the chicken.

We never called that "City Chicken" or any other special name, but it was one of my favorite things when my mom made veal or turkey schnitzel! Matzo meal made a better breading & better patty than regular breadcrumbs. We didn't have panko back in the day... now that panko is a thing, I use it for my breading needs, but I hardly ever make schnitzel so I don't know if panko makes a good patty. I suspect the texture would be completely different (= Not How Mom Made It = Wrong).

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My poor mother...never an inspired cook, but she was a busy woman, trying to feed nine people on an army officer's salary. Things her pantry/refrigerator/freezer always contained that I don't have in mine (although some of it I loved as a kid):

La Choy Beef or Chicken Chow Mein (that stuff that comes in the two-can tier) and Chow Mein noodles
Canned peas, green beans, hominy, succotash, asparagus and spinach
Instant mashed potatoes
Minute Rice
Canned tamales
Campbell's baked beans
Grape jelly
Vienna sausages, potted meat (and in the mid-70s, this stuff called The Spreadables which was basically canned ham, chicken or tuna salad)
Jell-O
Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima syrup
Garlic salt, Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, Italian seasoning, Lemon pepper and Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
Canned parmesan cheese
ReaLemon and ReaLime juice
Margarine and other non-dairy spreads
Prepackaged cold cuts (esp. bologna)
American Cheese
Frozen flavored veggie mixes
Popsicles
Drumsticks (the ice-cream treat)
Frozen pies

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Yep I remember the Matzo...never liked it, never really liked bread in general, I think it was early manifestations of celiac disease

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My poor mother...never an inspired cook, but she was a busy woman, trying to feed nine people on an army officer's salary. Things her pantry/refrigerator/freezer always contained that I don't have in mine (although some of it I loved as a kid):

La Choy Beef or Chicken Chow Mein (that stuff that comes in the two-can tier) and Chow Mein noodles
Canned peas, green beans, hominy, succotash, asparagus and spinach
Instant mashed potatoes
Minute Rice
Canned tamales
Campbell's baked beans
Grape jelly
Vienna sausages, potted meat (and in the mid-70s, this stuff called The Spreadables which was basically canned ham, chicken or tuna salad)
Jell-O
Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima syrup
Garlic salt, Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, Italian seasoning, Lemon pepper and Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
Canned parmesan cheese
ReaLemon and ReaLime juice
Margarine and other non-dairy spreads
Prepackaged cold cuts (esp. bologna)
American Cheese
Frozen flavored veggie mixes
Popsicles
Drumsticks (the ice-cream treat)
Frozen pies
yeah had margarine, never liked it and I don't know why. Maybe it's got something to do with aftertaste? I don't know why but it rubbed me the wrong way. All the canned stuff, never tried it. Popcicles? we made our own. Grape Jelly...I absolutely detest Grape Jelly. It like makes me angry.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I'd say for everything that's the same, something else is different.

I don't like fish so I never have it around; I do shrimp occasionally, though. I don't really like pork chops that much either, although I do love pulled pork and the occasional rasher of bacon. I don't ever really buy or eat hot dogs either.

I'm so sick of corn I rarely buy it anymore unless I'm making something like shepard's pie. Still don't like squash, can't stand asparagus or cooked spinach.

Here's kind of an odd one: crunchy foods. As a self-diagnosed misophone, I cannot stand physically eating super crunchy foods. Things I absolutely 100% do not eat because of this: hard shell tacos, croutons, most cereals. I also avoid raw carrots and celery, and very rarely do ice cream cones. Nothing like making yourself angry just by eating...oh and I also never ever get popcorn at movie theaters for this reason as well. I also don't eat chips all that often, especially tortilla chips.

I don't really drink soda anymore so that's a rare thing in my fridge. Don't like milk so only buy it for use in recipes, never to drink.

Since I picked up baking as a hobby I rarely if ever buy junk food like cookies, crackers, or anything from the in store bakery. No reason to when I can make something 100x better and to my own tastes.

Mayo will always be disgusting and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Things I have learned to love as an adult:

(Raw) spinach, turns out I just don't like the nasty frozen stuff boiled and turned into mush.

Poblano peppers, so good. I throw them in almost everything these days.

Black beans, we never had them when I was growing up but they are incredibly versatile and so good.

Pink Lady apples.

A lot of baked goods I had never had before are now staples in my household. I am particularly known for my American-style biscotti and all kinds of 'non-traditional' cookies.

Honestly this thread is reminding me of all the things I really want to try and just haven't gotten around to yet.