• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Software dev] Choice of Games

Squirrel on a Ledge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place, so apologies if I'm wrong.

I was just wondering: Has anyone written for Choice of Games (it's an interactive game company)? If so, was it worth it?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I've not written for them but their pitch looks good. They are a SFWA qualifying market and from my research I've not come upon anything major yet. It is on my radar.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I've played several of their games. They have a good line with a wide variety of games. It's funny that what's essentially an old-school text-adventure engine could catch on again, but they play very well on smart phones and the like.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
I played a couple of these back when they first started catching on. Not my style but the writing was good.

Squirrel on a Ledge

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - I gave it a try, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I was selected, and they wanted me to produce an outline for my pitch which I did following their guidelines (which are vague and sometimes conflict with themselves). They asked for dozens of rounds of revisions providing just a little more information on what they wanted each time. You can try to base your work on examples from their previous games, but these don't seem to match what they are actually asking writers for now, so you're pretty much shooting blind.

All in all, I took all the suggestions (even though they sometimes conflicted with earlier suggestions), but they ultimately decided they didn't want to continue after they criticized two different aspects of the outline and I politely pointed out that those aspects had been on their suggestion. They suggested I post it to their Hosted Games, which do not pay an advance, so I wonder if it might be trick to get people to write without the advance or support.

I started out enthusiastic, but they really zapped the fun from writing.

It's frustrating to keep rewriting to adjust to information they could have provided right off the bat.

I probably invested over 20 hours in this for zero reward.

Beware!

Last edited: