Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I seriously can't believe that with all of the dealings and power plays and shady under the table stuff that is supposed to go on in the beltway, no one "in the know" was able to figure out a way to derail Trump. On the other hand, I suppose one can argue that's probably actually a good thing in terms of our democratic process? *glass half full, glass half full, glass half full...*

I think you may be overestimating the ability of even "movers and shakers" to really sway events.

Competent and brilliant conspiracies make for good fiction. In reality they are not so easy.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously can't believe that with all of the dealings and power plays and shady under the table stuff that is supposed to go on in the beltway, no one "in the know" was able to figure out a way to derail Trump. On the other hand, I suppose one can argue that's probably actually a good thing in terms of our democratic process? *glass half full, glass half full, glass half full...*
Yeah, could one really be happier with a candidate that was selected for us, beyond the votes, from within a smoke-filled room?

Trump, at least, is the one who got the votes. And, while we're glass-half-full-ing: Even with the way Trump has presented - vitriol, leering comments about his own daughter, hair, tan-in-a-can and all, he's won the contest running away. So it could be that either he's very canny, or he knows how to hire canny people to run his campaign. Ideally, either trait might be handy if he wins in November.

I've been talking with some folks here, and one of the gripes about him is that he's not proposed much in terms of actual policy or promises (other than The Wall and penalties for women seeking abortions - but he seems to flap with the wind on that). It seems like a bizarre void.

But maybe that's part of his popularity - who trusts a campaign promise? A promise not made is one you can't break. He's already got the votes; who needs to make promises?

Last edited:

JGRouse

Registered
Reaction score
Trump is going to argue that his rhetoric is hyperbole and a starting position to begin negotiations. You don't show up on the car lot and give what you want to pay in your first offer. That is going to be his position on why he makes such outlandish statements. If you take too many crazy positions, and too many of his are just that, you run the risk of losing credibility. If you spell out your real agenda, then your opposition has the playbook to stop you...they want you to fail. It's a ridiculous system...but Trump has a point with that argument. Meanwhile, millions of Latino families are living in fear...he needs to address this issue soon with specifics. It is creating a great deal of anxiety and the idea of mass deportation is horrific to visualize.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Republican primary voters voted for Trump because they like him. In fact, they downright love him. He really is the people's choice. You can't blame the GOP for not coming up with a candidate people liked more when they clearly liked Trump best of all.

Until recently, Trump won primaries with less than 50% of the vote.
I find it interesting that the last 2 guys standing (forget Kasich) both have high negatives. Cruz had his core supporters, but he didn't generate a lot of enthusiasm beyond them. He won Wisconsin mostly because we don't like Trump here.
Also interesting is that Clinton, who will be the nominee, lost to Sanders in Indiana. If Sanders voters stay home in November, she could be in trouble.

This election has been and, in my opinion, will continue to be, unpredictable.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
rubio and cruz, along with carson, should toss kasich their delegates and he'd be within a hundred of trump.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, could one really be happier with a candidate that was selected for us, beyond the votes, from within a smoke-filled room?

Trump, at least, is the one who got the votes. And, while we're glass-half-full-ing: Even with the way Trump has presented - vitriol, leering comments about his own daughter, hair, tan-in-a-can and all, he's won the contest running away. So it could be that either he's very canny, or he knows how to hire canny people to run his campaign. Ideally, either trait might be handy if he wins in November.

I've been talking with some folks here, and one of the gripes about him is that he's not proposed much in terms of actual policy or promises (other than The Wall and penalties for women seeking abortions - but he seems to flap with the wind on that). It seems like a bizarre void.

But maybe that's part of his popularity - who trusts a campaign promise? A promise not made is one you can't break. He's already got the votes; who needs to make promises?
Yeah, I have to agree the smoke-filled room seems very undemocratic. And I do think he's still developing his views/policies on issues.

I think you may be overestimating the ability of even "movers and shakers" to really sway events.

Competent and brilliant conspiracies make for good fiction. In reality they are not so easy.

If only the GOP had Frank Underwood...

Could it be, in your conspiracy-theory mentality, that you are way overestimating the power of the "insiders" to control these matters?

They effing obviously didn't control this one.

caw
See above. I've been watching too much Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. :)

Trump is going to argue that his rhetoric is hyperbole and a starting position to begin negotiations. You don't show up on the car lot and give what you want to pay in your first offer. That is going to be his position on why he makes such outlandish statements. If you take too many crazy positions, and too many of his are just that, you run the risk of losing credibility. If you spell out your real agenda, then your opposition has the playbook to stop you...they want you to fail. It's a ridiculous system...but Trump has a point with that argument. Meanwhile, millions of Latino families are living in fear...he needs to address this issue soon with specifics. It is creating a great deal of anxiety and the idea of mass deportation is horrific to visualize.

He has some detail on his website. And I don't see the mention of mass deportation.
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/immigration-reform

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It came as no surprise to me -- not after he shoved Carly off the stage at that rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvppFZB0v2c

That was retribution for her inability to connect her tentacles correctly with Ted's.

- - - Updated - - -

It came as no surprise to me -- not after he shoved Carly off the stage at that rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvppFZB0v2c

That was retribution for her inability to connect her tentacles correctly with Ted's.

And apparently I felt so strongly about that I posted twice.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
rubio and cruz, along with carson, should toss kasich their delegates and he'd be within a hundred of trump.

HAHAHAHA, I tried to read up on this to see if it's actually legal/possible/feasible/ and I came out SO confused. I know I'm not the brightest bulb, but man, each state has different rules and there are preselected delegates, and "slots", and bound and unbound - I can't make any sense of it.

Here's an example of how this works:

https://www.conservativereview.com/...appens-to-kasichs-delegates-when-he-drops-out

But yeah, if you can make that happen, that would be wonderful. *blows kiss*

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also interesting is that Clinton, who will be the nominee, lost to Sanders in Indiana. If Sanders voters stay home in November, she could be in trouble.

Clinton didn't air an ad in Indiana. Not one. She hadn't been in the state since last week. She was in Ohio today which held its primary in March and before that she was in Kentucky. She practically gave Indiana to Sanders---and still picked up delegates. Clinton now has 2,201 delegates to Sanders' 1,399 and going into tonight had 92 percent of the number of delegates she needs to clinch. In 2016, Clinton has a bigger lead on Sanders than Obama had on her in 2008.

As regards Clinton being in trouble if Sanders voters stay home in November, most of them won't because they know the alternative is a lot worse. As for those that do stay home, there may be enough Republicans repulsed by Trump to say "I'm with Hillary."

Which amuses me to no end. :ROFL:

Meanwhile, get your orders in NOW. Operators are standing by. They got no choice.. The movers have already taken the chairs and desks and are coming back for the phones.

cruz_fiorina_zpslxl6zter.png

Welp, everybody in the Cruz family now knows what they're gonna be getting for Xmas...

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
What's going to be interesting from this point forward is how the two Annointed Ones handle the independent voters, all of us who couldn't vote before without chaining ourselves to a particular party. And very possibly the only saving grace of this whole hell hole will be the congressional races.

Me, I'm still voting for Bernie. I don't care whose name is on the ballot. :e2moon:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, get your orders in NOW. Operators are standing by. They got not choice.. The movers have already taken the chairs and desks and are coming back for the phones.

cruz_fiorina_zpslxl6zter.png

Welp, everybody in the Cruz family now knows what they're gonna be getting for Xmas...
Veritable collector's items! I might invest. I'm still miffed I lost the ROMNEY - BELIEVE IN AMERICA badge off my backpack somewhere in the bowels of Town Hall Station in Sydney a few months ago. Say, if anyone finds it near the QVB exits, can they hold on to it for me?

DoNoKharms

Registered
Reaction score
What's going to be interesting from this point forward is how the two Annointed Ones handle the independent voters

Probably with indifference, because independents rarely have much influence on Presidential elections. Romney won the independent vote handily.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Too bad we can't write the ending we want. But this GOP election has been like a runaway train. I'm just watching in horror and feeling helpless.

I seem to recall you being offended when some of us used the term "clown car" to refer to the big slate of GOP candidates last fall. Perhaps we should have said "clown train".

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.