• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader - Paranormal / Slipstream Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camash

Registered
Reaction score
Hello AW!

I'm currently seeking a person who is willing to give me a readthrough + critique of a novel I'm working on. It is around 35k words currently, but I am looking to expand that to around 60K words, and I feel there is a lot of room to do so. I need someone to look at the basic outline I have and get back to me on the following points specifically:

• Where characters worked / fell short
  • Overall Character Motivation - Is it authentic?
  • Denouement - Was it done well enough to be satisfying?
  • Continuity

Genre: Paranormal / Slipstream

I feel like this has aunique premise, and with the proper work it will be a good sell to the right publisher. But very few have read this yet, and now that my first book has sold, I'm looking to this one as my next focus point.

If you are interested in providing me this service, please let me know via a private message or response here, and I'll get in touch with you. I would prefer to start with a sampling of around 50 pages so that you can see the story's pace and tone, and see if it's something you'd be interested in continuing with.

Best regards!
Camash

GerardPourlavie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to give it a look. I wish someone had done it for me at the gestation stage! Send me a message.

Regards
Gerard

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's important that we all be on the same wavelength about the words we use when we look for readers to help us out with their feedback on our writing.

The term "beta reader" comes from the computer industry's beta testers, who'd use a program or play a game its creators thought was ready to market, seeking anything which might still be wrong with it so it could be fixed before going public.

For writers, a beta reader is the very last reader before a work is submitted to agents or publishers or is self-published. The work a beta reader goes over is complete. It has been edited for content and grammar, copy edited, proofread, spell checked, and polished to a tasteful gleam, to the very best of the author's ability. It's totally ready to go.

Sometimes a writer who asks for a beta reader actually wants critique of a work which isn't yet polished and ready for submission. This is fine, of course, and can be quite useful, but it's not to be confused with a beta read.

With luck, using the right terms to ask for what you want will help you get it.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Status
Not open for further replies.