• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to balance planning and spotaneity in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshWater

Registered
Reaction score
For the past few months I've struggled to find the balance between finding that spark whilst writing, and finding all the sparks beforehand. I have been writing short stories and short films mostly, and over time, I will plan the overall arc of the story, and then individual scenes. I'll think about the scene over a couple of days, and think "This piece of dialogue would work perfectly here!" and I write it down, and by the end of it, before I've even started writing, I already basically have all the important parts of the story, from speeches to the arc. All I do after that is write the connective tissue - the boring dialogue that needs to link the pieces of good dialogue I've already written. It's basically just copying and pasting floating ideas around and forming a coherent story. Writing that way doesn't feel like writing to me, not a journey or an exploration but gluing parts together.

On the other hand, I tried spontaneous writing yesterday (I had a vague idea and a few plot points, a shape of how I'd like it to be) and it was supremely fun - but I lost steam after 1200 words and my writing suffered. The first method of planning and writing creates better pieces by far, but it's not fun. The second is more enjoyable, but I can't sustain it and it produces shoddier workmanship.

How should I balance between planning whilst also enjoying what I write? (I do enjoy creating the small pieces of dialogue but I don't enjoy writing it as a whole)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
For the past few months I've struggled to find the balance between finding that spark whilst writing, and finding all the sparks beforehand. I have been writing short stories and short films mostly, and over time, I will plan the overall arc of the story, and then individual scenes. I'll think about the scene over a couple of days, and think "This piece of dialogue would work perfectly here!" and I write it down, and by the end of it, before I've even started writing, I already basically have all the important parts of the story, from speeches to the arc. All I do after that is write the connective tissue - the boring dialogue that needs to link the pieces of good dialogue I've already written.

You shouldn't write anything boring. If you find your "connective tissue" parts boring, then you have two options: omit them, or make them not boring. Sometimes the story can work with some events not mentioned. The reader will assume, or doesn't need to know. If the scene is essential, then think about why it's essential. If it's essential, it should be possible to make it interesting. Interest the reader in what's essential about the scene.

It's basically just copying and pasting floating ideas around and forming a coherent story. Writing that way doesn't feel like writing to me, not a journey or an exploration but gluing parts together.

Let's nip this in the bud and not get into an argument about whether any given process is not "real writing". It's all writing. It can be more or less effective, or more or less enjoyable for you personally. Different people may have different levels of success with that same process. I use a process somewhat like what you've described, and I'm happy with it.

On the other hand, I tried spontaneous writing yesterday (I had a vague idea and a few plot points, a shape of how I'd like it to be) and it was supremely fun - but I lost steam after 1200 words and my writing suffered.

So stop after 1200 words. If you write 1200 words a day you'll have a novel in a few months. For the short stuff you write, 1200 words a day sounds at least as fast as your previous process.

As far as quality: editing. There's no reason the 1200 words you write spontaneously have to be the last word. You can go back another day and edit those words, in order, or out of order.

FreshWater

Registered
Reaction score
That's been very useful. After reading your posts I realise that it's to do with my own personal enjoyment of the process of writing - do I enjoy it then, and have to edit it greatly, or enjoy it later on and not have to polish it as much.

I find spontaneous writing more fun, for sure, but it requires much more editing later on, probably the same amount of time taken on that would have been spent planning and thinking about with the first method - which nearly always produces tighter and better works. It's really helped me figure out the two different methods I could go down, to which I need to find the balance.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I find spontaneous writing more fun, for sure, but it requires much more editing later on, probably the same amount of time taken on that would have been spent planning and thinking about with the first method - which nearly always produces tighter and better works. It's really helped me figure out the two different methods I could go down, to which I need to find the balance.

Then, of course, there's a third alternative where you write "spontaneously" but edit as you write, so you don't have all kinds of editing to do later (which is the part I hate and thus skip). I find that combination to be both fun and challenging. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There's just no formula. You have to find whatever balance gets you forward effectively. Every writer's "balance" in this regard is going to be different.

caw

matthew.pee

Registered
Reaction score
What I do is I jot down any ideas or inspiration that I can write about, and when the time comes, I know how I want to write it and where I want to go with it. For me, it's more of a mental process because I have time to think about it before I can actually have time to sit down and write. In fact, I have a piece right now that I was really eager to finish. I literally just took the idea, wrote like crazy, and am now refining it. I wanted to finish it today, because I too like to spontaneously write, but the way it came out forced me to plan and revise it to make it coherent.

I feel like you should just go with the flow. Plan some of your story out, do what you normally do and see if there's anything in there that can spark a new idea, and maybe spontaneously write that. Try a combination of things. It's your writing, you can approach it in any way, as long as you get to the end product in a way you see fit.

Hutching

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was largely spontaneous, almost as if I discovered a whole new exciting idea every time I was under way. Second novel was when I realised I needed some form of game plan. Although that proved useful it was when I was part way through that I suddenly thought of a whole new ending and a 'villain of the piece' from out of left field. The subsequent novels 3 to 6 and a half have required a little more mental organisation and I now rough out a possible plot line that I have found gives me that discipline necessary to haul myself back from irrelevant and boring areas.

I don't think there ever can be a 'best way' as a one size fits all rule. We are all unique, and so are our thought patterns, so just go with whatever you feel works for you. It's not just the completion of the the first draft that should be enjoyable, but also the editing and, where necessary, rewriting, that should be fun. If you get published then whoopee, but otherwise just relish the fact that you are producing a unique piece of art from your own personal creative resources.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with others who have said that there's no wrong or right way to go about this.

Personally, I like writing a short synopsis before I start writing. The synopsis contains the entire basic plot, including the end, but not the individual scenes. The middle tends to be murky at this point, but I know where it needs to lead. I like this method because it ensures that I have a workable plot, but it doesn't require a lot of detailed planning, which I'm not a fan of. It also means I have something I can show my agent. Maybe this could be the balance you're looking for.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Try things out. If you find it difficult to go back and piece things together, it's probably best to write in linear order and make vague notes about potentially good parts for later. If you find you can't sustain your writing without some kind of plan, make some form of plan (even if it's very vague and brief).
It's just about finding what's best for you. I tend to write quite slowly, maybe 500-1,000 words per day, but I don't spend any of that time planning. I let an idea stew in my mind for a number of weeks before I start writing, then write based off that foundation. Still, even though that works best for me, it's taken a while for me to get the hang of writing that way without needing a load of editing later. The last couple of manuscripts have had tons of issues, whereas the most recent one only has very superficial mistakes.
So just try things out, then practice!

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
I see writing a story like going on a road trip. When I do a drive across the country I know which cities I will stop in and at least one site or activity I will see. Everything else I do along the way happens on the fly. The goes for my writing. I need to know where my characters are starting, where they will end up and some specific things they will do during the trip. I like to know the major events of my story, but the times between or what happens while the characters go from one location to another are written in the moment. When I begin writing a chapter I know one or two main events that will take place. Precisely how or when they occur happens on its own as the story develops. Writing this way for me prevents writer's block. There is still the occasion where I don't know what to write for a section of the story, but I have the option to leave it and write the next section and go back after because I know where the story is going.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
You can't really balance spontaneity. By it's very definition, balancing it would be a contradiction because it would be planned.

I'm reminded of the line in Spice World: "I've told them before, if they want to be spontaneous they have to clear it with me first."

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It would drive me crazy to have pieces of a story and try to fit them all together. Sounds kind of like a puzzle. But if it works for you, it works. However, I can relate to what you are calling spontaneous writing. That's how I write. I make it up as I go, and that can be a lot of fun. I will say that the more you write that way, the easier it gets. My stories come out a lot cleaner than they used to. And there's nothing saying that you can't write both ways. Working on shorter pieces can let you change your approach more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.