he choked up too high,
came undone over the shuttle disaster)

the summer astronauts
landed on the moon.

Lathaden

Registered
Reaction score
I love this - your play on words.

I wonder what it means to you... I wish I knew who you were in it... Some sort of imagery as to the time in your life or what brought you to this poem. But maybe it's there and I don't understand.

I wonder about capitalization - why capitalize Summer Astronauts but not 'some are not.' And why capitalize Indiana but not jones. I do this so you could have a reason and I don't know your style. Just my thoughts besides "really good."

Fascinating poem. Thank you!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Love it, Mag! particularly this:

repeatedly crackin’
six feet of leather law laid
down on squirrels, birds
and rogue sisters

and this:

after a long session/with both Smith & Wesson

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Appreciate the comments and now I'm thinking that this poem is part of something larger - actually have been writing about this character for a long time.

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused by the comma after welts....

I love the last stanza very much, and the rest is a big power punch I'm still sifting through

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Very Mags, this. I always enjoy your wordplay--slightly jealously I might add, as I know I would go overboard.

Omicron

Registered
Reaction score
Long before Indiana
had a jones Niiiice touch here. I noticed how you follow this style throughout.

for bullwhips, Andy
had one: repeatedly crackin’ The way you chose to position your line breaks makes the point very effective.
six feet of leather law laid Again, the line break draws my attention here; there seems to be a lot behind what he's acting out.
down on squirrels, birds
and rogue sisters – frayed Another effective line break.
tips raised suspicion and welts, wordplay: you're doing it right

lead to interventions, suspensions,
eventually to confiscation
in Ohio after a long session

with both Smith & Wesson
(much later on horse The use of the word "later" here seems to harken back to your first two lines, "long before Indiana" Was that intentional?
whipped, half-gone, (more doing it right)
he choked up too high, again, effective word play
came undone over the shuttle disaster) Did this (as it happened to Andy) happen in Indiana?

the summer astronauts
landed on the moon. I enjoyed how you tied the title back in with the ending.

Overall, I think your grasp and appreciation of craft made this poem effective and powerful. The word-play makes it that much more enjoyable, but I'm more struck by your choices in line breaks and by the overall imagery. The story is clear and the scenery you describe adds a nostalgic feel to it. I can picture a lot of this happening. And that is all just beyond the real substance of what you've got going there.

The only critique I can think to offer is that of your verse arrangements. You've got two lines on both the opening and ending, and then a break in between the childhood verse and the adulthood verse with a three line verse that I assume to represent his teenage years. This is grasping at straws here (because I really enjoy the poem the way it is and don't believe it needs to be changed), but if you really wanted to be nit-picky, you could aim for an even number of lines in the adulthood and the childhood verses. Of course, there's a justifiable reason, I think, for making the childhood verse longer and more robust; formative years are crucial, and by the end poor Andy doesn't seem to have much life left in him anyway (no pun intended). That being said, if you like it, leave it.

Another straw-graspy thing I can think to mention is that you say
"with both Smith & Wesson." It's entirely possible I'm missing something there, but I think the "both" might be in reference to the incidence named prior to that verse and the incidence named in that verse itself, but the one thing that makes me think maybe not is that the incident with both Smith & Wesson happens in the three lines prior and not after. That being said, maybe Smith could be the previous three lines and Wesson could be the following- as if there's an escalation in the behavior- the gun use that led to the suspensions and whatnot was only half the trouble it would amount to be - the rest of the potential is met when Wesson makes things real later on.

All things considered, I'll be subjective here and say I liked it, very well done. Personally I got out of it a real illustration of both the tragic damages and aggressions of the patriarchy.

Good stuff.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
What a delightful post and Thank You, Omicron, for your most kind and thorough discussion of my poem!!! Really appreciate your time spent & insights.

Omicron

Registered
Reaction score
No problem! I really enjoyed the poem, myself. I'd love to hear more about your intentions in writing it and what you meant to convey?