What IS the truth about the competition, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I almost forgot - as a Canadian writer, you can get a leg-up on a lot of your peers if you make a point of reading Quill & Quire magazine every month. It'll keep you up to date on the industry, and give a real sense of the players...

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
willietheshakes said:
I'm not a Jedi (though I do play one in the bedroom on occasion...)

*swoon...thud*

Oh, ahem, thank you for having an answer to CaroGirl's question because I was having problems with that myself, although I may have a couple of names.

CaroGirl, what genre do you write in?

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
Writing Jedi said:
CaroGirl, what genre do you write in?

Actually, that's a really good question. There's very little genre publishing (mystery, fantasy, sci-fi) in Canada (although the major houses do some, rolled into their mainstream lines, ie Jack Whyte, Guy Kay, Giles Blunt, etc), so if you're a genre writer you will likely be better off directing your energies south of the 49th.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
willietheshakes said:
Actually, that's a really good question. There's very little genre publishing (mystery, fantasy, sci-fi) in Canada (although the major houses do some, rolled into their mainstream lines, ie Jack Whyte, Guy Kay, Giles Blunt, etc), so if you're a genre writer you will likely be better off directing your energies south of the 49th.
Yes, it is a good question. I'm not a genre writer. My stuff is literary/contemporary literary. Most of the publisher's website that I've visited publish only literary Canadian fiction. I wonder why that is?

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
Yes, it is a good question. I'm not a genre writer. My stuff is literary/contemporary literary. Most of the publisher's website that I've visited publish only literary Canadian fiction. I wonder why that is?

a number of factors, really, including the fact that the genre market is served best by the US publishers (for whom Canada is a very small percentage of their overall perspective - that's why you've got de Lint, Hopkinson, Sawyer et al published by Tor, Jo Beverley and the other romantics by the American romance lines, etc) and the fact that grants (Canada Council and the like) don't apply to genre publishing. Plus the fact that Canada has, per capita, such a plethora of gifted literary novelists... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.