Help with Title

Rationalist

Registered
Reaction score
I am about to self-publish my book, a comprehensive philosophical enquiry, and have decided on titling it Glimpses of Truth: Morality, Karma, Procreation. The subtitle includes headings to 3 of my book’s 8 chapters (I prefer 3 instead of three; I guess it’s alright as long as consistency is maintained) – it would give an idea of what it’s all about, and likely help it show up on online searches. Would appending A Philosophical Enquiry help, or is the title enough to give an indication of the contents?

Another title I have been toying with is Condemned to Live, Destined to Die. Attention-grabbing, but it sounds a bit negative and pessimistic – not sure if it is such a good idea.

Any suggestions?

I am also about to start applying for permissions for quotes – doesn’t seem to be a fun thing. If I reword and acknowledge, would it do away with the need for permissions?

A chapter in my book is titled “Civilization and its Discontents” – borrowed from the title of an English translation of a book by Freud. Would permission be required to use this heading, or is it too general a phrase for anyone to hold its copyright?

In citations is it alright to use § in place of section?

If a sentence is giving me trouble, can I seek assistance here? Would going to the English department of a University help?

Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can't post sections of your work for critique until you reach 50 posts. You would post in the Nonfiction section of Share Your Work. (Password is vista.) Also, unfortunately, you can't post anything that's not original.

Titles aren't subject to copyright law, so that item shouldn't be an issue.

If you're paraphrasing lengthy passages, you still need permission. If you really want short passages to back up points, you're better off using the actual quotes, citing them correctly and getting permission.

The first title sounds better to me than the second. I think adding A Philosophical Enquiry might be wise, because otherwise both titles sound New Agey. Which is great if that's what you want, not so great if it's not.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I'd go the other way on "A Philosophical Enquiry." I think it's apparent from the title that you intend to get pretty deep into philosophy, so it's unnecessary. Also, tacking it onto the end means that you've got a title, a subtitle, and a sub-subtitle, which is quite a mouthful.

You noted on your decision to use 3 instead of "three." Generally, no one makes a fuss as long as it's consistent. But if it helps, most styles have their own preferences for numbering. Your best bet is to look at the style you're doing your citations in (MLA, APA, etc.) and be consistent with that.

As an English major, I feel confident saying that the English department is not going to help you with your sentences. We aren't copy editors, and most of us are more interested in literary analysis than diagramming sentences. A better place to look is the university writing center or the tutoring center, which do tend to focus on helping students edit and polish their academic writing. Another way to get feedback on your writing is to find a critique group, or a couple of trusted friends who will tell you what sounds good. For sentence-level editing, you can also try reading your work aloud. This will help you catch awkward wording, typos, etc.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glimpses of Truth: Morality, Karma, Procreation

Glimpses of truth about what and according to who? Who is this for and what is its focus, purpose, or bent? Morality, karma and procreation are extremely broad terms. I have no idea what this is.

Condemned to Live, Destined to Die

Who or what is condemned to live and destined to die and why? This could be about stray dogs, prisoners on death row, or who knows what. Here too, I have no idea what the topic is.

When I read your proposed titles, I draw blanks. Adding "A Philosophical Enquiry" doesn't help. I don't get a solid idea of what this book is about because the titles sound too vague. So, I would probably skip over it. With nonfiction, it's important to clearly state your topic.

Maybe start with a one-sentence very specific summary about what the book is about, then try to come up with a title out of that.

Last edited:

Rationalist

Registered
Reaction score
Siri, OBrien, Fruitbat – your views are greatly valued and appreciated.

Fruitbat – I guess the ideal title should be informative, as well as short and sweet – in practice, a rarity. Indeed, many notable nonfiction works have titles that shed little light on the topic – it’s only after reading the book that one is able to make sense of it all, that too, not always.

Morality and karma perhaps give an idea of what it’s all about. Every book I’ve come across with karma written on the cover deals with the karmic doctrine.

Most philosophical works deal with a specific topic – ethics, free will, metaphysics, religion – this allows for a more descriptive title. My book covers several philosophical topics, and one title that may say it all would be The Purpose of Life – but it sounds too trite. Another might be The Life Delusion (both may sound distinct, but are relevant to my book) – but Rupert Sheldrake has already paid honour to Dawkins by titling his book The Science Delusion.

You are right about Condemned to Live, Destined to Die not saying much about the book (the reader may find it relevant after going through the book); it just sounds as if it might invite a look at the back blurb or the opening lines of the Introduction.

I am trying to work on your advice about a one-sentence summary – hope I can stumble on something that sounds better.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Then why not title it Morality and Karma: A Philosophical Enquiry if that's the closest to what it is.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

trevismarcus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Rationalist, Title is one of the most important things when anyone is going to publish his/her own book. So, I recommend you to select this very carefully or take advice from any expert. I would like to inform that CGW publishing provides ongoing title management service fulfilled and distributed direct by their print on demand partners. Here is the contact detail: 07402 555300

Office 1502

PO Box 15113

Birmingham

West Midlands

B2 2NJ

United Kingdom

where you can reach to CGW Publishing. I hope you get the perfect solution to your issue.