Not Christian/Mainstream Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, I've been querying for a few months now, and I've come to the conclusion that there may not be an agent or a publisher who wants to touch my manuscript. Not because I don't believe the writing is strong, but because of the content. I'm a Christian writer, and I wrote a main character who is also a Christian. I set out to make my book as a whole, just a "regular" book; it's completely non-preachy and I'm not trying to beat anyone over the head with a message of salvation or anything. I never intended to sell it to the Christian Fiction market. It seems that most everyone in that corner is against speculative fiction, plus there are a few scattered swear words and some fairly heavy topics like multi-racial families, adoption, and death. There's also a marital affair, though I feel like it's handled in a very redemptive way.

Anyway, because I have a Christian MC, it seems this book may be "too Christian" for the mainstream market, and yet, "not Christian enough" for the Christian market.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of situation? I understand that self-pub is always an option, but I feel incredibly overwhelmed with that route. Should I keep plowing ahead with querying (I'm ready and willing), or do you think my impression may be correct? Any and all help is appreciated!

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
If the story's ready, I would keep going with the querying process and see what the agents and publishers say.

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, how do you know it's the Christian MC that is the problem?

I don't think just having a Christian character doesn't mean it will automatically be Christian Fiction (or for the Christian marker).

It really depends on how you choose to portray the Christian part.

How are the Christian elements of your MC addressed in the story? What Christian elements are you choosing to portray? (Ex: MC wears crosses or has religious art/symbols decorating their house, or the character mentions going to church or prays from time to time, etc.) Are the Christian elements really prominent?

I know that Christian markets have certain expectations, like you said, but I think the mainstream market should be just fine with religious MCs. :)

Last edited:

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, if you don't mind my asking, how do you know it's the Christian MC that is the problem?

Short answer: I don't. I only suspect.

I have a very small sample size of people's responses, and I'm aware that they may not represent any sort of larger opinion. One of my beta readers loudly proclaimed it Christian fiction, though it doesn't meet that criteria for any of the agent's submission requirements (that I've seen. I gave up after reading about 15-20 and not finding one I could send to). Another said that it's a hard call who the audience is, because it straddles a line of what's acceptably Christian.

Then today I got this response from an agent I queried (a snippet): "While I really like the premise and think you are a very talented writer, I ultimately couldn’t connect to Marty in the way I needed to to be the right advocate here.
But please know how very much I did enjoy your writing and we are sure this will find a home somewhere. I wish you the best of luck in placing this book, as well as in all of your publishing endeavors."

And then I re-thought my previous conversations with readers, and I'm rolling in self-doubt. :)

As for Christian elements, my MC is a mother, so she sings a hymn to her kids near the beginning, when everything starts to turn sour. There's praying at one point when her best friend is going through a rough spot, and it's written in 1st person, so the reader "hears" her internal dialogue, which is often something like, "God, help me get through this," or something of that nature.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm not convinced your problems are necessarily because of it's too Christian or not Christian enough. I don't think you have enough information to draw that conclusion.

I also wouldn't read that much in to that rejection letter. That language about not being able to connect with your MC has been a staple in rejection letters forever.

I think your energy would be better spent making sure your query and first pages are in the best possible shape. When you hit 50 posts, I'd urge you to head on over to Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work section and post it there to let the critters take an unbiased look at it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
SunshineyDay, that's a form pass with your MC's name merged in, so treat it like any other form pass.

Have you run the book by betas? Also, there are some C-fic publishers who are willing to take a look at edgier work now. Try the Christian Markets thread in this room. Good luck!

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.... It's tough to know. I don't think a character who sings hymns and prays a few times means the story is a religious story.

The agent's response is a bit vague and didn't mention the Christianity aspect. There could be multiple ways a character doesn't connect with a reader. For example, maybe your character feels distant or aloof in the story? Maybe your character doesn't feel three-dimensional, or lacks something that can engage the reader. Maybe your character doesn't react in a believable way, etc.

It's really vague, so it's no use getting worked up about it. Have other agents said anything more specific (or mention the Christian elements at all)?

Keep querying or or get some more fresh eyes on it (and perhaps make some changes).

Last edited:

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
I think your energy would be better spent making sure your query and first pages are in the best possible shape. When you hit 50 posts, I'd urge you to head on over to Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work section and post it there to let the critters take an unbiased look at it.
Thank you for the advice. I've been lurking, but I'm never really sure where to speak up and post. :) There's a lot of good information here, so I mostly read and soak it all in.

I've had my writing group go over my query, but I can surely benefit from someone else looking it over as well. It certainly won't hurt.

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
Have you run the book by betas?
I have. I've gotten it to the point where I cannot think of a single thing more to change, and I have no other suggestions, either. I'm sure there will be more to come when it gets picked up, but it's as good as I can make it.

I will check that thread also. I spent the day researching Christian agents, and I couldn't find any that take my genre. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't scoured hard enough, perhaps. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Having a Christian character doesn't make it a Christian book anymore than having a Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or Atheist main character means a book has to be published as any of those kinds of books. Characters have traits; some of those traits can include religion; that doesn't mean your book is meant for the inspirational market.

1/3 of Sing Down the Stars is set in a church, partially during a service, with the MC lighting candles for her lost family, and involves a nun that shoots lightning out of her hands and saves super-powered children from traffickers.

Lots of religious themes. Not a religious novel.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Couldn't hurt to run it past Vox Dei, the Christian imprint of Booktrope.

“Christian books for a messy world” Vox Dei is focused initially on Christian-themed fiction. The Vox Dei mission is to provide books that edify and entertain, encourage and inspire. While Christian themes are woven throughout our fiction, our purpose is not to preach a sermon but rather provide a quality alternative to the secular market for entertainment.

Disclosure: I'm published via Gravity, another Booktrope imprint.

Pennguin

Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda.
Registered
Reaction score
I was a librarian for a church for some time, managing some four thousand books. About a third of those were fiction. I've also been a Christian for 26 years this August, raised in the (Protestant) Church. Based on my experience, "Christian fiction" is largely considered to be evangelistic in nature. That is, there is a character who ultimately leads another character to "accept Christ." Outside of that, I haven't seen much in the way of Christian fiction. My own work is decidedly not for the Christian market. There's copious amounts of swearing, violence, some heavy physicality, drug abuse, and psychosis. Not what you're likely to find in a Christian bookstore.

I would say, unless your book has a distinct evangelistic approach, it probably won't fly well with many Christian publishers. There are those who specialize in "edgier" Christian fiction that's less evangelistic in nature, and certainly, not every Christian fiction has a, "We now pause the plot so this guy can say 'the prayer'" part. Yes, I'm more than somewhat biased against Christian fiction as a reader, but from an objective standpoint, your book doesn't sound like it would fit well with most Christian fiction I've seen unless it has that directly evangelistic approach.

I'd keep flogging the bushes on the mainstream side, if I were you.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
One publisher who seems to like my fiction, which doesn't ever -- okay, rarely -- includes the Conversion Scene, is Desert Breeze. There's a thread on them in Bewares & Background Check. I know Gail Delaney, the editor-in-chief, loves spec fic and might be willing to take a look. They are a small press and there is no advance, but they issue print and e-versions simultaneously, and the e-books are on all known platforms.

May your work find favor!

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
Based on my experience, "Christian fiction" is largely considered to be evangelistic in nature.
Thank you so much for your insight. Isn't it weird that Christian fiction is what it is, though? Don't Christians want reading material that's not just about people being saved, sunshine, and rainbows? I know I do.

I feel weird being a Christian writer who isn't "Christian" enough to sell to the Christian market. Again, it's not what I set out to do, but just seeing that spelled out in front of me now is odd.

- - - Updated - - -

One publisher who seems to like my fiction, which doesn't ever -- okay, rarely -- includes the Conversion Scene, is Desert Breeze... May your work find favor!

Thank you! I'm going to go take a peek at them now.

Pennguin

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your insight. Isn't it weird that Christian fiction is what it is, though? Don't Christians want reading material that's not just about people being saved, sunshine, and rainbows? I know I do.

I feel weird being a Christian writer who isn't "Christian" enough to sell to the Christian market. Again, it's not what I set out to do, but just seeing that spelled out in front of me now is odd.

I'm in the same boat, though I don't feel weird about it. My convictions allow me to write realistic stories that aren't sunshine and rainbows, and deal with the darkest corners most Christians don't want to believe exists. I know the majority of people at the church I grew up in don't read anything but the Bible. That's weird.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
People being saved doesn't necessarily mean sunshine and rainbows. I'm not sure it's a requirement, even. But it's been a while since I've read C-fic, so who knows if it's still the same.

Pennguin

Registered
Reaction score
People being saved doesn't necessarily mean sunshine and rainbows. I'm not sure it's a requirement, even. But it's been a while since I've read C-fic, so who knows if it's still the same.

There's "sunshine and rainbow" Christian fiction, and then there's more realistic Christian fiction, but when you ask for dark Christian fiction, everyone tends toward Frank Peretti. Nothing wrong with Peretti. He's a great man and a great author. Love his work, but I struggle to see it as dark. There are certain subjects Christian fiction just doesn't seem to want to touch. I don't blame them. It's a business, just like any other, and it'd be really difficult to sell most of their clientele on the story about a kid in a mental institution who hallucinates demons and has chronic psychosis despite being a Christian.

But that would be the kind of Christian fiction I would find interesting, because of its implications about the nature of salvation for the persistently psychotic.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score

But not everyone is the same as you, and people have different preferences and tastes. (Which is all good. Variety is the spice of life, after all. That's why there are so many types of stories out there. :) )

For example, I prefer light hearted stories, and I highly dislike gritty/realistic or dark stuff, so I obviously avoid most "dark" stuff as I look for new reading material. I feel real life is ugly enough, and I'm tired of the ugliness. I read to escape from all of that.

Meanwhile, other readers may prefer the dark or realistic stuff, and so on.

Nothing wrong with having reading preferences. I'm a reader and customer. I'll read and buy whatever I want. Same goes for many other readers. ^_^

Last edited:

SunshineyDay

Registered
Reaction score
But not everyone is the same as you, and people have different preferences and tastes. (Which is all good. Variety is the spice of life, after all. That's why there are so many types of stories out there. :) )
^_^
Fair enough. :) I wasn't trying to imply that people shouldn't have their own tastes. I simply meant that as a Christian who cannot publish with a Christian company, I feel like there's a disconnect somewhere. Just like when I go to a church that looks down on people who don't fit their mold of Christianity. There's something decidedly un-Christian about saying someone isn't "the right kind" of Christian.

- - - Updated - - -

Need to withdraw this advice. Booktrope just announced that it's closing effective 31 May.
Man. I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.