Looking for Module Creation Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently been looking over TSR's Dungeon Master's Guild program, which is basically an indie ad&d module publishing platform and was wondering if anyone can point to any online resources that detail the design and formatting of such modules.

I've not played AD&D rpgs since the late 80s. I'm way out of touch, though I used run long campaigns for 20 people at a time that seem to have been looked forward to (they often ran 12 to 14hours). Anyway, I'm out of touch with the franchise, and the game mechanics by a far mile...but I do remember the storytelling and pacing aspects of it.

That said, I would like to explore some resource material and a good example module or two (set in the forgotten realms) and see if I think it would be worth a go to develop some modules for publication.

Thanks in advance.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with AD&D begins and ends with Hackmaster 4th Edition (I.E, Hackmaster 1st edition, I.E, AAD&D - that is, Advanced Advanced Dungeons and Dragons), but I've thumbed through a few of their modified adventure modules.

Check out Keep on the Boarderlands (by the grand old Gary Guygax!) for a neat exploration of running an adventure out of a centralized location slap dang in the middle of the wilderness.

If you want to check out more modern modules and apply their wisdom backwards, I strongly recommend ANY of the Pathfinder adventure paths by Piazo - my favorites being Rise of the Runelords and Kingmaker. Rise is a great series of adventures, with possibly one of my favorite fictional towns ever as its base of operations. Meanwhile, Kingmaker is a great examination of what a D&D game can do if the players are really let to stretch their legs and do something free form and...imperialistic.

But really, my primary advice for adventure paths from many years of reading ones I like and ones I don't like?

1) Assume players will fuck with things and try to think of many alternatives that can help the PCs.

2) Avoid railroading. Provide multiple reasons why the PCs should do anything in the adventure.

3) Detail everything in the background - after all, if the GM knows everything about what is going on with the NPCs and the world that they're guiding the PCs through, they can invent stuff on the fly better.

4) Have cool treasure. Everyone likes cool treasure. Seriously, I love Rise of the Runelords, but it was CRAZY skimpy on the treasure and that's just awful.

5) Speaking of treasure, treasure hunt themed adventure paths are my personal favorite - Lure of the Expanse for Rogue Trader is my all time favorite premade adventure ever. How could I not love it? It's a star-spanning treasure hunt in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with the prize being an entire planet! Badass!

I hope this helps!

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Zoombie. Do you have links to any online resources that I don't have to buy, at least not initially. I want to get a feel first. Some of the offerings sample pages at the DM Guild site seem to have good layout, design, art, but I can't see enough of them to get a sense of where they are in Forgotten Realms time or geography, or how the adventure is laid out, NPC descriptions, available quests, level appropriate xp per party per encounter, stuff like that.

For the module I'm contemplating I wanted to do a location based campaign set on a hard to find inhabited island. Players would arrived as shipwrecked galley slaves from a ship destroyed in a storm....maybe some thrown overboard to lighten the load. They come to on the beach to find a few scattered supplies and crap weapons, and the opportunity to explore. The key encounter places would be a local fishing village, a modest mountain with a dragon visible sunning itself on the ledge of a cave mouth, and a path that leads to a set of ruins near an old forest.

The quest centers are the village (minor) and the dragon (major), the basic premise being the dragon is quite civilized and has assemble a large and extensive private library in his caves. Storms and time bring vermin, it's time the various wings of his library need cleaning from pests. He'll pay and reward the cleansing of his library, which will offer the opportunity to discover new magic and tales a bard might trade upon, and a little coin.

The long story is the discovery of a small pantheon of starving gods among the ruins who need to reconnect with their ancient people, what few are left) who were scattered long ago in some calamity/upheaval, or soon their long forgotten gods will die. My hope is to build a three to five part series that will take a group from level one to about level 15 or so...no more than 20. The Dragon and his tasks (including those of the starving gods), and the village with NPC errands move the party off the island to follow leads, discover clues, and track down an all but forgotten people...and where they find opportunity for a random act of vengeance, then that too.

A little comic effect would be as well. The dragon speaks with a very formal erudite manner, but constantly quips and jokes about obscure things barely known, if at all to the party. He also loves and has bountiful spells for hot chocolate. Affable, but superior...a bit like John Cleese without off color remarks. He is very particular about his books...steal his gold and he may forgive you for the price of a good story. Steal his books and you are on the menu...forgiveness there will come hard. I would also like a mostly nuisance book entitled Read Me. If you don't it will follow and annoy you, if you ignore it too long it will attack you. Utterly ignore it for several days and it will attack you in a number of vicious dice determined ways. The trouble is, if you do read it, it gets even more attached and harder to appease. The reward is that occasionally when read it will reveal some arcane bit that will come in hand later. Otherwise it can be anything, inventories, teenybopper diaries, histories, fables, mathematical treatises, gardening tips, etc. In the meantime it follows the party out of the dungeon, and it looks like they have stolen a book to the casual observer...and that shuts down sympathy from the village. The end effect though is intended to be comic, a story thread resolved when the dragon collects and reshelves it.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I like it! As for online resources, I...sadly have none, but others may!

Though, suggestion: Players (that is, all the players I've ever had) like buying their own gear. A lot of character concepts are built around gear - it sucks to build a longbow fighter and be given a rusty knife. So, maybe let the players buy something (say, give them 20-50 gold) and then say that that is what is found on the beaches.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
I did manage to find the d and d basic player and dungeon guide online for free. That's something...will have to work out the legalities of how it's used with their program, but it does supply foundational information about levels, characters, and abilities.

Having scanned over it, I'll have to reconfigure my adventure ambitions. Level fifteen is high tier stuff, and I wanted a more first tier experience, beginning adventurer stuff that could push into early second tier. I guess I've played too much Warcraft over the years to think level 20 was basically a glorified newbie. The leveling is different between WoW and D&D. So I guess I'm more looking at levels 1-4 maybe as high as 6.

I also noticed there are precious few d and d style rpg modules available on Kindle...at least that I found. Makes me wonder if there is an untapped market there for solo adventures...stuff you could play on a phone riding the bus or standing in line. Bundle it with a related short story and a dice emulator (or link to the one online for wizards of the coast) and sell for 99 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.