Major Short Fiction Publishers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert O'Keefe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I'm new and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any major publishers putting out short fiction via ebook. I know Tor is doing this on ereader formats, but this is the only case that I have heard of. I am a Creative Writing minor in college, so I plan on submitting my short fiction to epublishers, and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of any other than Tor. Thanks!

Robert

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Why ePublishers. If you want major publishers, print is still king.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Robert, your question is too broad to answer very well.

First, are you talking about magazines that accept individual stories or do you mean you want to get a book of short stories published?

Is there any particular reason you're interested in e-publishers only? I don't see any reason to rule out the publishers that do print or a combination of print and electronic.

Also, what genre? Since you've mentioned TOR, do you mean SFF (Science fiction and fantasy) publishers? General literary?

If you mean magazines rather than book publishers, two great search engines for that are Duotrope.com ($5 per month) or Submission Grinder (free).

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I'm new and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any major publishers putting out short fiction via ebook. I know Tor is doing this on ereader formats, but this is the only case that I have heard of. I am a Creative Writing minor in college, so I plan on submitting my short fiction to epublishers, and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of any other than Tor. Thanks!

Robert

I'm a little confused why you are looking for an epublsher specifically and if you are trying to place individual stories or publish a collection. Either way, you are going to want to try and publish your short stories in the best publications you can before trying to put a collection out there. It will help. There is a subscription service called Duotrope that is great for researching markets. It's $5 a month. There is also a free version called Grinder, but I have found that it doesn't have all the same markets.

You might want to have a talk with one of your creative writing teachers about where he or she thinks your work could be published. But don't limit yourself to ebooks and epublishers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Okay so, for some reason, you want a epublisher that will put out very short speculative fiction ebooks. I think you will find that to be a fairly short list or fairly bad publishers because it is generally not a profitable activity. The only large publishers I see putting out e-shorts, other than kindle singles, are producing work from famous authors, dense non-fiction, or niche erotica.

Status
Not open for further replies.