Stardew Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's similar to Harvest Moon but for PC. It's worth looking at if you like the genre

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
It also has a bit of Rune Factory, what with fighting some monster things in caves and stuff, if I remember correctly from a gameplay video I saw a while back.

I love, love, love Harvest Moon series as well as Rune Factory 4, so this game definitely suits me.

So far, I've been enjoying it. :)

What's cool is that range love interests are available to your character, regardless of gender. This makes me so happy! :D You can even have a kid, like in the Harvest Moon games, even if you're in a same sex relationship. :) (Fire Emblem annoyed me in this aspect: can't have kid units if you're gay/lesbian, ugh.)

The only annoying thing so far is trying to find the times and locations of certain characters when they finally wander out of their bedrooms. (You can't enter a character's room unless you're friends with them, so it feels hard to become friends with that Sebastian character who keeps spending a lot of his time in his room, lol. XD )

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Sebastion is I think the reason for void eggs (of course you first have to raise a void chicken to get void eggs.) I think that's his favorite gift. I haven't figured out much of any other use for the things. He tends to wander around the beach. The bridge leading to the first beach is a decent fishing spot and you'll notice anyone on their way to the beach. Also most characters are in the saloon at night, some more than others.

It's a steeper learning curve than Harvest moon (which I actually like) and I prefer it to Rune Factory especially with regard to the combat, no special attacks, just tactics. My nerve damaged arms cant handle all the special attacks that one sees in today's games. The fishing is the one thing that I had to download an easy fishing mod for again, nerve damage. It's also got a more complete story line than Rune Factory despite that Stardew was made by just one guy.

I haven't gotten deep enough in the mines to get the supplies for an Iridium Sprinkler

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Nope on the Void Eggs. The reason for them is the wizard's ex-wife who is a random event. She's a witch who flies in during the night and casts a spell over your barn. When you wake up, there's a void egg in the barn.

I've pretty much beat the game (90 hours in, like, 3 weeks... it was a problem), in as much as you can beat it, so if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer. :D

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I have an iridium sprinkler! I found a bar of iridium in the museum's garbage can :D

So then there's more to the story than just getting the void egg, which has happened twice for me. I grew a void chicken and now have about 50 void eggs in the fridge. Sebastion likes them but other than that I've found no use for them. So apparently (no spoilers please) I have to figure out what the rest of the plot is. Something to look forward to.

I like that about this game. It actually has plot twists.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The metal heads starting at level 81 in the mines, I can't even touch them with either steel pick or Forest sword. Swords that do more damage are also slower. That's one option. Regrinding through the upper levels to increase skill (currently 6) is another. I've tried eating food to give me a bonus on combat and that didn't help. Do you need a golden pick to get through their armor?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The metal heads starting at level 81 in the mines, I can't even touch them with either steel pick or Forest sword. Swords that do more damage are also slower. That's one option. Regrinding through the upper levels to increase skill (currently 6) is another. I've tried eating food to give me a bonus on combat and that didn't help. Do you need a golden pick to get through their armor?

Not all stronger swords are slower, though I got rather lucky with drops from star slimes. A better sword and higher rank should be good enough.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Not all stronger swords are slower, though I got rather lucky with drops from star slimes. A better sword and higher rank should be good enough.
I managed to buy a bone sword from the guild...Big Difference. Also built a stable and wish now that I had sooner

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I managed to buy a bone sword from the guild...Big Difference. Also built a stable and wish now that I had sooner

Oh god, tell me about it. I didn't build a stable until way late in the game. Talk about regret. That horse can move.

I wish there were a way to do multiplayer, invite your friends to visit your farm. I want to see my friends' games, see how they laid out their farms and designed their character and who they married and what they named their kids.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god, tell me about it. I didn't build a stable until way late in the game. Talk about regret. That horse can move.

I wish there were a way to do multiplayer, invite your friends to visit your farm. I want to see my friends' games, see how they laid out their farms and designed their character and who they married and what they named their kids.
That would be nice even if one were limited to just the main map and could only interact with the player character. The NPC's could say, "I don't know you. You look kind of suspicious to me. I could see Linus especially saying that."

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
So many marriage choices! This reminds me of Magical Melody on the GameCube, which had 10 marriageable candidates as well. (The great thing about StarDew Valley is that the choices can also be LG options, at least. :) )

I need to play some more. I need to plant more crops, get more materials to expand the farm, and perhaps get some animals to raise.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Hint: Don't get married too quickly. Try to get everyone's heart points up to 10 before selecting a spouse. There are a lot of story lines to explore and most are rather funny.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Hint: Don't get married too quickly. Try to get everyone's heart points up to 10 before selecting a spouse. There are a lot of story lines to explore and most are rather funny.

Ah, haha! So like what I do in most Harvest Moon games and Rune Factory 4 and whatever dating sim-ish games: Being such a friendly playah. XD (Okay, sometimes in Rune Factory 4 and perhaps one Harvest Moon game, some characters do get a bit jealous, lol.)

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score

Can't you do this after you get married? I admit, I've only been married a day, but he doesn't seem the jealous type or anything. For any marriage candidate (after the patch for it), you can't get them up to max hearts until you've started "dating" one of them, and for other towns people, you can still get to max hearts even being married. Am I missing something?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it still that your partner loses two hearts every time you "date" someone else? Just be prepared to have their favorite things around if you want to raise another marriage candidate to 10.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Leah gets jealous
Is it still that your partner loses two hearts every time you "date" someone else? Just be prepared to have their favorite things around if you want to raise another marriage candidate to 10.

Ooh, I'll keep this in mind. I'll have to do some restocking of some items, lol.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Well, last night, my spouse informed me that I was pregnant... I found that a bit creepy.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Well, last night, my spouse informed me that I was pregnant... I found that a bit creepy.

LOL. XD That's different. That's a cool clairvoyant skill. :D

(In the Harvest Moon games and Rune Factory 4, it was usually the doctor that made the announcement.)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
(Twick looking for potential marriage partners)

"Sebastian, you're cute but too emo. Alex, you're a jock. Harvey, you're too darn nerdy. Demetrius, love you to death, but you're already married. Elliott, you were rude when I gave you my first gift, and your inset portrait looks like Fabio. Not inter ... oh, you're a writer? And you live on the beach? How soon can we get married?"

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hah, you must have given Elliot one of his "hate" gifts. Most people get real shitty if you give them something they don't like. I ended up using a guide to figure out what everyone liked best.

I went with Elliot too. Alex and Sebastian and the other non-Harvey guy are itty bitty babies while Elliot at least gives the image of being older than 18. Plus, yeah, writer. Although there's a part later in his storyline that definitely had me going "oh dear lord, I'm marrying an idiot."

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
All the potential spouses are stereotypes of one sort or another. I think Abigail is the best spouse, intelligent, happy, non-jealous and a gamer. I wish I could give her a sword and boots and rings and go with her into the mines.

I disagree about Harvey being a nerd. He's not good enough to be a nerd. He's just a wimp.

AFAIK there's still no estimate on when the next expansion will come out. Beware of mods. It appears that a lot of them will break the game in one way or another.

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was rather sweet that Elliott's novel is based on my favorite genre.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I thought it was rather sweet that Elliott's novel is based on my favorite genre.

Oh yes, it's very sweet. :)

And then you realize his letter said he just finished and was doing a reading at the library. And then he says there are copies available at the front desk. And you realize he published his first draft the second it was finished and just- Elliott, Elliott no.

Status
Not open for further replies.