Stardew Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helix Denby

Registered
Reaction score
I got this around release and sunk 60 hours into it within the first week (you do strange things when unemployed). My favorite part of the game was the mine exploring since I'm more a fan of hack-and-slash adventure fan than games of the sim variety. The marriage part I liked a lot as well, although I found it rather depressing when my formerly free-spirited love interest spent her married life standing around in the kitchen all day. I do believe the game was patched to add more variety to marriage but for those first few weeks/months it made me regret tying the knot!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
....The marriage part I liked a lot as well, although I found it rather depressing when my formerly free-spirited love interest spent her married life standing around in the kitchen all day....

I felt a little bad because I married Sebastian, and his dream was to leave town on his motorcycle and move to the city. Now that we've settled down, he admits that with his social anxiety, he's probably better off on the farm, away from the crowds. To make up for squashing his dream, I decorated the house with city-scape wall paper. My husband yelled, "A gilded cage is still a cage!"

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
supposedly an update should come out in a couple weeks or so

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Got the "beta" for the update. So far, I see new farm maps. I haven't had a chance to get any further into it.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
If you take the wetlands farm, there are actually fish to catch, not just things to recycle

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Cool.

What I'd like to see in a future update is the ability to use the things you gather for the "dye bundle" to actually dye the cloth you produce.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
I love this game and have sunk 440 hours into it. I find it totally addictive to play the first two years and ensure that the four candles on Grandad's shrine are all fully lit. I'm also a sucker for extending my house and decorating it. Add a range of maps into these scenarios and I'm in a strange kinda heaven. :snoopy:

The latest update has also added a new quest. The aim of this is to add later content to the game which is needed as there was a tendency for the game to fall a bit flat once you've received Grandpa's reward, got married, completed the then current mines etc.,

On the subject of marriage am I the only one who finds this a bit of a drag? I got married in my first game and found it took a lot of fun out playing. On the other hand, the independent farmer who romances everyone in sight is an enjoyable way to play as many of the cut scenes have humour in them.

Yes, I'm an avid gamer. I need peace and quiet to write so when hubby is happily ensconced on the sofa watching Storage Hunters :cry: I play to my hearts content.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on getting enough gold to buy the basement. I want to see how much the casks improve aging wine and cheese.

Edit: I got the basement but I can't get in because the doorway is blocked by my kegs. lol. I'll have to wait until the wine is done fermenting. In case you want to know where the door will be ahead of time it's in the middle of the south wall of the kitchen

I'm not sure if the casks in which you can age wine and cheese are worth it. If you have a surplus I suppose it is, but seems to take 2 game weeks at least to age and in the mean time you could have made a large quantity of lesser quality. I suppose it will be the deciding factor in subsequent harvest festival competitions

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late to the party (ayy consoles!), but I'm thoroughly addicted. Spent most of last night muttering "just one more day!" before putting it down. I definitely get a lot of Harvest Moon nostalgia. And, despite cursing at my inability to fish, it's just so soothing.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to play more of this one day. I've been busy lately, and I was also distracted by playing more of Story of Seasons and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for my farm simulation fix.

I'm trying to get more animals and get married in those games, and the potential husbands I want are both going to take a long time to get, so those games have been taking up a lot of my gaming time (besides Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and, of course, Pokemon Sun, lol).

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
And of course the Xbox1 port is fatally broken. It'll just crash every time you try to progress to Year 2. :rant:

So, uh, heads up other console players. You might want to wait until everything's patched before getting this. Which is a shame - it's such a lovely game.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to play more of this one day. I've been busy lately, and I was also distracted by playing more of Story of Seasons and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for my farm simulation fix.

I'm trying to get more animals and get married in those games, and the potential husbands I want are both going to take a long time to get, so those games have been taking up a lot of my gaming time (besides Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and, of course, Pokemon Sun, lol).
best way to get their heart points up is to give them their favorite gift on their birthday and to complete their posted quests. Doing just thoose two things you should have most of the characters up to 8-10 heart points by the second winter

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Ok that was not expected. Finding the witch's lair is a bit, ok, more than a bit obtuse, you have to trigger a quest. The quest has nothing to do with heart points as far as I can tell. It has to do with money. you have to have finished the community center or purchased all possible things from Jojo Mart to activate the quest

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net

I'm not sure if the casks in which you can age wine and cheese are worth it. If you have a surplus I suppose it is, but seems to take 2 game weeks at least to age and in the mean time you could have made a large quantity of lesser quality. I suppose it will be the deciding factor in subsequent harvest festival competitions

What I do with my cheese is put the stuff that's already gold-quality into my casks, sell the silver-quality as surplus, and use the regular-quality for cooking.

Similarly with the wine, I keep a stockpile (say, 20 bottles) to replenish the stuff in the casks that's done ageing, and sell the surplus as and when it's created.

On the subject of marriage am I the only one who finds this a bit of a drag?

Nope—my current partner (Shane) gives me free food! Always a useful little bonus when I have to yomp off to the caves in the desert for a spot of monster-slaying. I just wish our adopted kids would grow up so I could put them to work on the farm. It would be so much easier than building a Junimo hut. :-\ Ah well, I can hope for that feature in an update...

And of course the Xbox1 port is fatally broken. It'll just crash every time you try to progress to Year 2. :rant:

So, uh, heads up other console players. You might want to wait until everything's patched before getting this. Which is a shame - it's such a lovely game.

Aww, sorry to hear that. I hope they fix it soon; like you say, it's a really lovely game.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm having so much more fun with this game since I got the mod that slows down time by 50%. Though there are still too many villagers to give gifts to for my anti-social and disorganized self, lol. I considered it a huge achievement when I finally managed to give everyone 2 like or better gifts in a week.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I'm having so much more fun with this game since I got the mod that slows down time by 50%. Though there are still too many villagers to give gifts to for my anti-social and disorganized self, lol. I considered it a huge achievement when I finally managed to give everyone 2 like or better gifts in a week.

I find a good place to distribute gifts is the Saloon on a Friday night; it's a regular meeting place/time for a lot of the adults and older teens like Abigail, Sebastian and blond-Vegeta. I take a bunch of cheese or something and distribute them in the tavern. It's fast and easy (and totally not cheating!)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
At some recent point they've expanded to XBox One and Playstation 4. there's also a forum http://community.playstarbound.com/ if you scroll down to Chucklefish you will find a specifically Stardew Forum

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I recently picked this up as part of a bundle, and I'm not playing obsessively. And got a friend playing obsessively. And got my sister to get it. She isn't at the obsessive part though. Yet.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Harvest Moon when I was a kid so I freaked a bit when I discovered this game. I've had it for maybe a month or so and I'm currently in Spring year 3 and married to Sebastian. I was determined to get him by the end of the first year, lol. We have one little toddler and another on the way! I wish the kids could get bigger, but at least the onesies are cute.

Does anyone have a slime hutch? I don't really see a point to it, but I want all the buildings on my farm. I've been putting off the stable (hardwood, ugh) and am focusing mainly on filling my greenhouse with ancient fruit. There's so many tasks to do so when I play on the weekend I can feel like I accomplished a lot even though I didn't leave my apartment :)

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Does anyone have a slime hutch? I don't really see a point to it, but I want all the buildings on my farm. I've been putting off the stable (hardwood, ugh) and am focusing mainly on filling my greenhouse with ancient fruit. There's so many tasks to do so when I play on the weekend I can feel like I accomplished a lot even though I didn't leave my apartment :)

You need a stable. Having a horse means you get everywhere a lot faster. A lot faster. Once you get a horse, you'll be like, "Man, why didn't I get a horse before now?!"

Hardwood is easy to get. Once you've upgraded your axe (to, I think, gold) you'll be able to get rid of the stump at the very left of the map in the forest south of your farm. It will lead you to a secret area in which there are 5 or 6 hardwood tree stumps that yield 2 hardwood each and respawn EVERY DAY. That means you can have over 100 hardwood in less than 10 days.

I have a slime hutch in one of my playthroughs, but I've only got 1 slime in it, so nothing much has happened with it yet. More important to me is the Junimo hut, but it's slightly annoying in that they harvest the flowers I use for honey, too. Have to situate my bees away from the hut.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
WHAT???

There's a hardwood forest?!?!?! This game needs to come with a manual.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Yeah, it's good for mushrooms. Though, I tend to find a lot in the mines. And I usually have Demetrius grow mushrooms instead of fruit bats in my cave.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's also about the only place that I find fern fronds (ie the secret forest)

Status
Not open for further replies.