Raw Vegan Food, Anyone?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've joined a meetup for raw vegan food and have to bring a dish to a potluck.

I'm not really sure why I'm going. Just something different, I guess. The recipes I've seen online look very interesting and different, way beyond my usual salad or fruit salad.

Also, I thought it would be nice to have more in my repertoire that's easy and low calorie and raw seems good for the summer.

I feel like I have to fight with my food too much or fight with myself too much about my food or whatever. I do okay with keeping my weight down but it is a constant struggle, for years, and I'm not very happy about it. I usually feel slightly deprived and it's just not real fun. I would like to eventually just change my usual way of eating so I like it and it works for me rather than the perma-diet BS.

Also, I am leaning more and more towards vegetarianism, kind of accidentally. I don't know why but sometimes meat just grosses me out anymore and so do eggs. I really have no idea why. Anyone know what I mean?

I'm going out to buy some "strange" ingredients later on to try a couple of recipes before the potluck thing. I'm thinking maybe chia seed pudding and macadamia cheese or something.

DH is going to the potluck with me and maybe grown son, too. So I guess the etiquette is bring one dish per person or at least a larger amount of one dish? The only potlucks I've been to before have been more family things and this looks more like individuals so I'm not sure.

Just wondering what anyone has to say about raw vegan food, whether experiences, recipes or whatever. :)

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why yes, I know exactly what you mean about meat and eggs grossing you out. :)

I'm a veg, not a vegan, ftr, and don't care about raw food (there are many nutrients that are only bioavailable when produce is cooked). I mean it's fine to eat, but as a lifestyle I think it's vaguely bananas.

That said, there's plenty of really interesting, raw, vegan stuff.

I'm also not into 'fake' stuff particularly, so while I'd do the chia pudding, wouldn't do the cheese. I don't think it'd be bad to bring a couple of dishes. You're bringing more people. Potlucks are usually dish-per-family, in my experience, but who'd complain about you wanting to try and share two? It's nice.

Do you have a spiralizer? Could do a vegetable 'spaghetti' with a homemade pesto.

Oh, be sure to check on the rules of the group - I've seen raw mean nothing touched with heat, nothing heated above 180, nothing processed in any way, etc. Depends on the people.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
When I'm asked to bring something to summer picnic-type event, I often turn to my sweet corn relish. It's raw, vegan, and super tasty, plus you can make it ahead, up to a day, and it's safe at room temperature -- always a plus for potluck food.

4 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 small jalapeno, minced fine (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/3 cup water
2 TB raw sugar or equivalent sweetener
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 TB olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste

If the corn is frozen, rinse under cold water in a colander until thawed.

Mix together the onion, zucchini, bell pepper and jalapeno in a bowl. Add the corn.

Whisk the sugar into the water until dissolved (I heat the water for about 45 seconds in the microwave, but if this violates the idea of "raw" you can just whisk the bejeezus out of it.)
Add the vinegar and slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to combine.

Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture. Add the cilantro and mix to combine.

Serve as a salad, or with chips, sliced veggies or lettuce leaves as a dip/wrap.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds good - and for anyone who hasn't tried it, raw corn off the cob is actually really good. It's starchier than when cooked, but very edible and delicious.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you two so far. I might try that corn relish. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed at the special ingredients I keep finding and really don't even know where to get them. The nearest Whole Foods is an hour away and meh.

I do have a spiralizer! Another great idea. I only have a small handheld one but when I've used it before we passed it around so it was fine.

Maybe simpler is the way to go this time. I could bring the corn relish and zucchini noodles w/ the pesto sauce. Then I could try other recipes later from what I like at the potluck. (You have to bring the recipe, too).

Also, corny, for some reason "vaguely bananas" cracked me up so I swiped it for my avatar. :p

ETA: Yeah, I don't see making an entire lifestyle out of this but it should be fun to hang out with the hippies!

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you two so far. I might try that corn relish. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed at the special ingredients I keep finding and really don't even know where to get them. The nearest Whole Foods is an hour away and meh.

I do have a spiralizer! Another great idea. I only have a small handheld one but when I've used it before we passed it around so it was fine.

Maybe simpler is the way to go this time. I could bring the corn relish and zucchini noodles w/ the pesto sauce. Then I could try other recipes from what I eat at the potluck. (You have to bring the recipe, too).

Also, corny, for some reason "vaguely bananas" cracked me up so I swiped it for my avatar. :p

ETA: Yeah, I don't see making an entire lifestyle out of this but it should be fun to hang out with the hippies!

Heh, I think you're probably better off eschewing as many specialty ingredients and multi-step stuff as possible. Some people are very into that - like would do a cashew alfredo sauce with nut cheese - but a lot of people like more simple ingredients, mostly fresh produce, prepared well. Same as vegetarians and regular vegans - some are into the meat substitutes, plenty don't have any interest.

That combo sounds good - though I'm not sure if you're planning on bringing something to go with the relish? Raw crackers are kind of a deal... maybe you could just do endive leaves for dipping/scoops?

The avatar tag is perfect - you are a fruitbat after all!

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If these are Hallelujah Diet people, "vaguely bananas" is putting it nicely. :tongue

I'm (hypocritically) all for more fresh fruit and vegetables in people's diets, though.

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
When I was vegan briefly, it was after reading Skinny Bitch. Legitimately controversial as far as the title goes, but what's inside kept me within the rails of being vegan for a long time, for my willpower. I missed bacon and steak, so I stopped. But there are plenty of ways to incorporate food that will still satisfy a palate like mine. Also the Jazzy Vegetarian show on PBS can be a great resource. I'm less of a fan of the all-vegan Cristina Cooks show, partially because she moves too quickly for me to follow.