DeBlasio and Clinton: not a good comedy team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
http://verysmartbrothas.com/a-list-...ke-jokes-about-colored-people-time-explained/

. Well, did the joke work when Clinton and de Blasio tried it?

Of course not. One because Hillary Clinton seems to have the comedic chops of a Brookstone meat thermometer. But mainly because neither Clinton nor de Blasio possess the requirements necessary to tell a joke about colored people time in front of a bunch of White people.

Such as?

Be a colored person.

That’s it?

That’s not enough?

It is, I’m just asking if being a colored person is the only requirement.

It’s not the only requirement. But it is a baseline requirement. The baseline requirement. Kind of like how knowing how to read isn’t the only skill you need to possess to be a teacher. You also need to know how to create lesson plans and manage classrooms and trick lunchladies in giving you free pizza and shit. But you can’t be a teacher if you can’t fucking read first.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
There should be a formal name for this logical fallacy:

"You started/participated in a thread about X, when clearly Y is a much more serious problem; therefore you don't care about Y."

ETA: I guess it would be a subclass of the fallacy of relative privation.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
There should be a formal name for this logical fallacy:

"You started/participated in a thread about X, when clearly Y is a much more serious problem; therefore you don't care about Y."

ETA: I guess it would be a subclass of the fallacy of relative privation.

As thread starter, perhaps I should affirm that I'm also on the AW record criticizing Trump. And Cruz and Sanders and Johnson, for that matter. But mostly Trump.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
http://international.boisestate.edu/broncosabroad/2012/08/02/operating-on-italian-time/

My ethnic heritage has a "time", too! Heh. Well, it's 3/4 of my heritage, anyway. Something tells me if I googled the other 1/4, I'd find something about that "time" as well.
:hooray:

So do mine, apparently, which probably doesn't come as a shock to anybody, but I never knew the phenomenon had a name. The Germans may be the only punctual culture in existense.

;) It occurred to me after Kylabelle's comment that the 'ra' in my username might've made that comment confusing.
(I'm Rebecca - my middle initial is A.)

Are you guys twins? I just realized I know a bunch of Rachel-and-Rebecca twins and I can't think of any who are just regular sisters.

*has nothing of value to add to the thread*

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The Swiss are also quite punctual. And based on my visit there a couple of years ago, I'd put in a word for the Swedes.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
do you ever tire of being wrong?

Only when I'm wrong...

Trump Threads: (5)

Donald Trump - Nuts? Troll? Hallucinating?

Poll: Globe Predicts Front Page from a Trump Presidency

The Loathing Election (Trump, Clinton most disliked in 30+ years)

An Open Letter from a Trump Strategist-turned-Defector

Trump's Path to 1,237

Hillary Clinton Threads: (20)

Oh Hillary, Don't Ever Change...

Hillary Clinton apologizes for praising Nancy Reagan's response to HIV

Sanders' Michigan Upset Offers Warning Signs to Clinton

Black Lives Matter Activists Interrupt Hillary Clinton at Private Event In South Carolina

Poll: Clinton breaks with Obama over 'genocide' of Middle East Christians

Hillary Clinton Is ‘Not My Abuela,’ Critics Say

Hillary Clinton Calls for 'Hard Look' at Visa Waiver Program After San Bernardino Shooting

NYT: Hillary Clinton Comes Out Against Abolishing the Death Penalty

Black Lives Matter protesters interrupt Hillary rally

Bernie's In: A Pain in Hillary's Left Flank

Sharp erosion in Clinton support among Democratic women

Clinton Evolves on Gay Marriage

Hillary Clinton Poll Watch

Hillary and Obama Top 'Most Admired' list

Clinton Contra Obama

Hillary Clinton Snaps at NPR Host for Questions About Gay Marriage Evolution

Clinton, Boeing and Filthy Lucre

How Hillary Helps Rand

Obama and Clinton Most Admired by Americans in 2013

Three Resignations at the State Dept over Benghazi
*(*technically "Hillary" and/or "Clinton" are not name-checked in the title, but we know who's this thread is really about, right?)

-- courtesy of William Haskins: 18 Pages, 448 Threads (4/10/16 -8/19/12).

... but I'm not wrong.:rolleyes

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
oh we're doing total commentary and not specifically "equal time for racial foibles."

i've said it before and i'll say it again: walls-of-text and deflection are not substitutes for precision and veracity.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Haskins, Haskins, Haskins. I start a thread about Clinton and de Blasio's lame joke, and all you can talk about is Haskins.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the notion that trump has been spared by this forum, or by me, is ludicrous on its face.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I have, but I've never heard a white person use it. And I tend to think it's better that way.

I've heard of it being used by POC and Hispanic people, but I have never heard a White, non-POC/non-Hispanic person say it.

Like other AWer posters have said, some of us Hispanics do use similar jokes/sayings (Hispanic/Latino Time), sometimes more specific depending on country/ethnicity (ie Puerto Rican Time).

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Another ethnic term that should be used with some caution: "Cuban wrench."

It's heard frequently in Miami in the world of auto repairs. A Cuban wrench is, in fact, a hammer. The backstory here is Cuba and it's plethora of old cars that had to be repaired without access to the proper parts. Thus, if a car needed an alternator, one used any alternator one could find, then made it fit (when it didn't) with a Cuban wrench.

Obviously, the term isn't supposed to be an insult. But a non-Cuban using it might come across as insulting, as mocking a Cuban mechanic.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think the lesson here, if i am understanding the reclamation of the term by our non-white brothers and sisters, is that white privilege doesn't exist at all, but is rather a manifestation of us getting our asses to appointments/work/social engagements, etc. on time.

discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.