Status
Not open for further replies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
ouch.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and her ally New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio are taking heat for a race-based joke they made at a charity event over the weekend.

Appearing on stage at the Inner Circle Show, an annual New York comedic performance held for charity, Clinton set up the joke: "I just have to say thanks for the endorsement, Bill. Took you long enough," she said, referring to the fact that he endorsed her months after she launched her campaign.

"Sorry Hillary, I was running on C.P. time," de Blasio responded, seemingly referring to the slang term "colored people time." The term alludes to the stereotype that African Americans are typically late.

Actor Leslie Odom Jr., who plays Aaron Burr in the musical "Hamilton," was also on stage and told the mayor, "That's not -- I don't like jokes like that, Bill." Clinton then delivered the punchline, responding that de Blasio was referring to "cautious politician time."

If this had been an off-the-cuff remark by de Blasio, I'd be giving Clinton some points for an attempted save of an awkward situation. Alas, however, this was a scripted joke, which, apparently, all three found amusing.

I can't agree. It makes me wince. I cannot believe that I of all people am slamming a joke for being tasteless. But surely there was a better "late" joke than this.

Yeah, I know there are bigger things going on in the world, that Trump says far more outrageous things, etc., etc. Still...ugh.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Considering that political consultants often get six-figure salaries you might think that somebody there might have intervened and said "nope, not a good idea."

Doesn't take a whole lot of experience to understand that. Perhaps I could send in a resume – although I would insist on working from home.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Considering that political consultants often get six-figure salaries you might think that somebody there might have intervened and said "nope, not a good idea."

Doesn't take a whole lot of experience to understand that. Perhaps I could send in a resume – although I would insist on working from home.

Maybe you should apply for a job with the Trump campaign. After the Colorado delegate fiasco( for him), he could probably use the help.��

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Maybe I need to get out more, but I'd never even heard the term "C.P. time" before just now.
Me neither. In Miami, there's "Cuban time" and "Latin time." Never heard of C.P. time, down here or in Virginia. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard someone generalizing about African Americans being late.

But maybe it's a NY/Northeast thing? Seems pretty classless, though. And not funny at all.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I have, but I've never heard a white person use it. And I tend to think it's better that way.
Just FYI, "Cuban time" and "Latin time" are self-referential far more often than not. And they're used so much--self-referentially--that others using the phrases doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

"Course, I think the terms "Cuban" and "Latin" are not the same sort of terms as "Colored People."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"colored time" was a last minute sub after "superpredator time" didn't really resonate with the focus group.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
'Round these parts, people just say "It's Don O'Clock."

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of the term or the stereotype either. But the term does have a wikipedia page, oddly enough.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think we should stop expecting that. I never, ever want to see another clip like that again. Lord, that was painful.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
That's hard to believe. You having friends, I mean.

To be fair, he said "would." I assumed he meant it would score him a lot of points if he had any friends with whom to play " Words with Friends."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure why it is that, in addition to everything else, our politicians are expected to be stand-up comedians.
In addition to? You mean they're supposed to be something other than a source of amusement and aggravation?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard "_____ time" in reference to other ethnicities, but not "C.P."

But meh - it was an awkward performance by awkward politicians who should know better than to try doing stand-up. Clinton is a wonkish, intellectual politician and shouldn't try pretending to be something else.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I saw that and laughed.

As a guy who's had many, MANY jokes fall flat, I almost sympathized with them.

Actually, the more I think about it, the funnier I find the whole situation. Can you imagine the effort and planning that went into that terrible, terrible joke?

"Comedians are popular and sometimes people listen to what they say about politics. Let's tell a joke! People will love it!"
"Good idea! I bet it's really easy, too, since comedians come up with tons of them."
"But what makes a joke funny?"
"Well, let's think of a joke and dissect it. I know one: 'What's long and hard and full of semen?"
"What?"
"A submarine!"
"Hahahahaha! I thought you were going to say penis!"
"Yeah! Hahahahaha!"
*Wipes away tears of laughter* "But why was that funny?"
"I guess because it set up an expectation of something crude, then subverted the expectation?"
"That seems simple enough. What's a bad expectation we can set up?"
"Well we can't do anything sexual. That's not the image we want to project."
"I know! Let's do a racial stereotype! That way when we subvert it, people will know we're not racist."
"Perfect!"

They tried so hard, but they're just not funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.