question about primary source attribution

Joanna Hoyt

Registered
Reaction score
The first part of my HF novel is set in an imaginary Massachusetts mill town (Guerdon) at the time of the Bread and Roses strike in Lawrence, when workers in many other parts of the Northeast also went on strike. The drastic and conflicting reports coming in from Lawrence have significant impacts on the progress of the Guerdon strike and the reaction to it. In some cases I have snippets from the actual Lawrence papers to quote; in that case I make sure I give the paper's name and the article's title and also get the date right. I also wanted to use a couple of bits of dialogue from Lawrence which were reported in later books/testimony before Congress/etc. I've put these in at the time, under the general heading "and the Lawrence papers say..." Is this legit? Do I need to give the actual quote sources in the author's note?

Any advice greatly appreciated. This is my first time writing long-form historical fiction; mostly I've written fantasy, where these questions really didn't arise...

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In fiction you're not expected to provide footnotes. If you include basic bibliographic info in "author's notes" or an afterward, it's a gift to the readers, not a requirement. If you want to provide the full details of a citation, that's what websites are for. If the actual sourcing of specific information is directly relevant to your story, you'll want to work the relevant details into the prose in a way that doesn't get in the way of the narrative or look like a footnote that's unaccountably wandered into a novel.

Joanna Hoyt

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I understand the part about not getting in the way of the narrative, I think...I'm not actually dating everything quoted, but making sure that it's read in Guerdon on or soon after the day of its appearance. I know it's not necessary to give full details in a novel, but I wasn't sure how important it is not to say anything which someone in the know would recognize as counterfactual (e.g. saying something is in the papers when it wasn't.) It sounds as though I've been overly concerned about that.