Working on one-act play:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Hello colleagues,

A new fish who is working on his first play got little confused here. Plays seem more difficult than novels now; and, definitely, difficulty made them more attractive to me...

My trouble:

I started an one-act play, but it seems that it's getting too far since I do my best to satisfy different purposes. In short, it seems that the play has turned to have two different purposes: an active one (what happens on stage, and I have no experience whatsoever on that part of the play) and a theoretical one (consuming time in order to settle historical disputes about the protagonist). If the play had many acts, I guess things would be little easier to me. From the beginning, however, I decided to focus on the end of the historical figure, and this is why decided to make one act only. Now, the last thing I wish is that the play be rejected due to boredom that allegedly might cause to audience. I tried to invent some events and characters in the play. Whatever I do, it seems that my play cannot be shorter than 24.000 words. For plays with many acts that would not be a problem. But I am wondering what a big problem it might be for an one-act play to be so long.

With more than 24k words, this play will be more than two hours. I guess that there may be a fifteen minutes break on stage for both actors (3 main characters, and 6 more who intervene) and the audience. But again, I am not sure if this is the solution. On the other hand, I think that the reading function of the play (what I have to say) is beautiful (in my view, always) and do not feel right in not saying the things I want to say.

My question:

Should I shortcut things, or should I let the play reach 24k words at least?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a professional actress, I can tell you that audiences get twitchy if an act runs longer than 1.5 hours. A single act in excess of 2 hours, with no intermission, would have to be utterly riveting, and even then you're going to have people who will get up and leave because they HAVE to go to the bathroom.

Last edited:

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking as a professional actress, I can tell you that audiences get twitchy if an act runs longer than 1.5 hours. A single act in excess of 2 hours, with no intermission, would have to be utterly riveting, and even then you're going to have people who will get up and leave because they HAVE to go to the bathroom.

I thought it a lot, and I concluded that I will surely divide the play into two parts (1 hour the first part & 50 mins the second one). I am not sure if this will save my play, but I will put intermission.

Last edited:

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
These sound like fairly severe problems. I hope you keep this thread updated with your progress.

All the one-act plays I can think of are exemplary in their brevity. That is their purpose and their form. Noel Coward's famous series of eight one-act plays from the twenties are worth studying in this regard. Eugene O'Neill also dabbled with this format, I believe there is a collection of six of his best commonly available.

I can name one (more recent) play which is...two acts? Can't recall. Two acts at most. And there's also no romance or action. Just three characters, all of them elderly. There are a lot of speeches and that's because (just as in your story) it is a historical person/incident which is being sifted and dissected.

The play is novelist Michael Frayne's 'Copenhagen'. Give it a gander. The reason it works is because even though it is purely historical, there is still 'mystery' involved... the characters still 'yearn' for something....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.