James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Evicted by Matthew Desmond – what if the problem of poverty is that it’s profitable to other people?

No, despite the ambiguous wording of the headline, Matthew Desmond didn't evict anyone; rather, he wrote a book called Evicted.

What if the dominant discourse on poverty is just wrong? What if the problem isn’t that poor people have bad morals – that they’re lazy and impulsive and irresponsible and have no family values – or that they lack the skills and smarts to fit in with our shiny 21st-century economy? What if the problem is that poverty is profitable? These are the questions at the heart of Evicted, Matthew Desmond’s extraordinary ethnographic study of tenants in low-income housing in the deindustrialised middle-sized city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I'm certain that he has one puzzle piece, but I doubt that anyone has seen the entire picture on the box top. The thesis speaks to one aspect of urban poverty in current-day America, but nothing at all to rural poverty in America, nor to poverty in other places, or in other times.

Which isn't to say that working on this one aspect isn't worthwhile. Just because you can't fix it all doesn't mean you shouldn't try to fix any of it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Many years ago, when I was a cheerful young Naval officer in Norfolk, Virginia, there was a ... let's call it a scam, although it was perfectly legal ... scam going on out on Virginia Beach Avenue.

There were ranks and ranks of used car lots, with signs out front like "Honest Al's Used Cars. E-1 and up okay! No credit check! Walk in, ride out!"

Honest Al would know (because it was published) exactly how much an E-1 (a Seaman Recruit) made, or, indeed, any rank of sailor or Marine. He'd offer a deal; so much down and weekly payments cleverly designed to be just affordable. The cars weren't great, but for the price what do you want, and what 18-year-old could resist?

So the young E-1 would buy the car and sign the contract, and ... things would be great for a while, but miss one payment by twenty minutes and Honest Al would repossess the car, sell the remaining debt to a collection agency, then re-sell that same car to the next E-1 to walk down Virginia Beach Avenue.

Which is where I came in. As the sailor's division officer I would have had to deal with the collection agency. And the whole story would come out, but whachagonna do?

(I remember one of the car dealers who fell afoul of the fraud laws ... so the roll-away sign out front of his lot read, "Out on appeal! Let's make a deal!")

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look at all the money people make running title loan and check advance services. I can keep the lights on today by getting a car title loan with the idea I can cut back on expenses enough and find more money elsewhere to repay the loan by the time the bill comes due. It's made certain people millions of dollars while not doing much for the loan recipients.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And the kind of people who know exactly what any military rank makes would have no problem accessing public information like welfare or disability rates. It's not just car loans, it's rent, as well. 'All the market will bear', and they know to the penny what it will bear.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It seems to me that there are people who don't get suckered in to such "deals."

I remember--back in my youth--that there was this scam going on (maybe it's still going on) where guys in vans would approach younger guys in mall/strip mall parking lots and say that they just delivered some speakers to a club, but had a couple leftover that they would sell for $200 each or so. Shells. Heavy and real-looking, but shells. I never actually met anyone has admitted to buying some of these speakers, but I'm sure it must have worked, because it was a frequent thing, once upon a time.

Now, the above is illegal, and I let the police know about this a couple of different times.

But other things that are all about salesmanship, well they're not illegal. And anyone can get taken in both legal and illegal deals that are basically swindles (like all of Madoff's clients) by a skilled huckster. Shit, Don will probably be along in a few to point out how we're all getting taken by the hucksters in DC, election after election.

What can be profitable is knowing who's a good mark, whether they are such because of need, gullibility, or both.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And anyone can get taken in both legal and illegal deals that are basically swindles (like all of Madoff's clients) by a skilled huckster.

Shit, Don will probably be along in a few to point out how we're all getting taken by the hucksters in DC, election after election.

What can be profitable is knowing who's a good mark, whether they are such because of need, gullibility, or both.
:nothing

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

When I was in the Army, one of the guys in my company, a PFC, went and bought a new car right out of Basic Training. A freaking Porsche, if I remember correctly. The car payments and insurance ate up most of his pay, but he lived in the barracks so all his living expenses were covered.

Meanwhile, I started a direct deposit into a mutual fund.

I wonder what he's doing nowadays.

I remember--back in my youth--that there was this scam going on (maybe it's still going on) where guys in vans would approach younger guys in mall/strip mall parking lots and say that they just delivered some speakers to a club, but had a couple leftover that they would sell for $200 each or so. Shells. Heavy and real-looking, but shells. I never actually met anyone has admitted to buying some of these speakers, but I'm sure it must have worked, because it was a frequent thing, once upon a time.

Heck, apparently there are still people sending money to Nigerian princes.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It sounds like the article is positing that there are slumlords who make a lot of money by gouging the urban poor. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

In fact, rents are crazy across the entire economic spectrum, especially in many urban and suburban areas. We couldn't rent a house in our relatively modest, working-class neighborhood as for a price that's anywhere comparable to our mortgage payments (house was purchased in 2001). I heard an story on the radio about eviction courts the other day about how many urban poor are paying well over 50% of their income in rent each month, which means that even a minor financial setback puts them out on the street.

Rents are often cheaper in rural areas, but there are other issues keeing people poor there (like virtually no jobs at all and the necessity of having a reliable car to get to whatever jobs exist out there). It's easy to tell rural poor (or people who live in cities like Flint) that they should pull up stakes and move where the jobs are, but they can't afford to move when their homes (if they own them) are unsalable, and the rents in the places with more and better jobs are un-affordable.

Heck, apparently there are still people sending money to Nigerian princes.

I haven't gotten one of those e-mails in years. My favorite was the one that was so badly translated, the person asking for money said, "Because I am very greedy woman, I need..."

We get robo calls on the old, spiderwebby landline phone from the "Internal Revenue Services" from time to time that try to convince us there's some problem with our taxes that will land us in jail unless we write a fat check RIGHT NOW. I think those target recent immigrants and other people who don't know how the system works or how the IRS does contact people if there's a mistake on their return (they do it by mail) from a previous year.

Poorer people do make poor choices sometimes, but that's not the main reason there's so much poverty in this country, I don't think. And a penchant for poor choices can result from chronic poverty too.

Last edited: