Two Editors at the Same House

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I just started subbing to indie presses and I came across one that lists the preferences of their various editors. I have two finished novels in two different genres. One is preferred by one editor there and the other is preferred by a different editor there. Would it be ridiculous to pitch each editor with the appropriate novel? What are the odds I could get a two book deal? Which, if they don't pay advances, would amount to two times zero, but that's still better than continuing to strike out with agents.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It doesn't sound unreasonable to do it that way. Submit each novel to the editor who is looking for that type of novel. I might insert a PS to each briefly explaining...but I don't even think that's necessary. They are two different widgets.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd only pitch them one at a time. Why dilute the attention one book might get?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's a tough question. With two at once, should both be purchased, which I would not count on, one would either have a long wait before being published, or they would likely ask you to have one released under a pseudonym.

But it is a tough question. Part of me agrees with Old Hack, and part of me says you may as well submit both because it's unlikely both will sell, so having two there with two different editors might give you a better chance. And should both be good enough, it's possible to schedule the release time to avoid diluting one of the books. And if one goes out under a pseudonym, both could be released at the same time.

But darned if I know the best course here. The only time I've had more than one book with a publisher was when I had contracts for both.

My gut says it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other, so do what your gut says to do.

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I'd agree with the suggestion that you submit them at different times. A lot of editors at the same house will talk and pass books around if they think it's better suited to someone else. Odds are that if they like one of your books, they're going to talk, so they probably won't end up signing both at once. It could also become awkward if one tries to pass one of your manuscripts on to the other editor. Also, if they did sign both, you'd need to put your energy into marketing two books instead of one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with the suggestion that you submit them at different times. A lot of editors at the same house will talk and pass books around if they think it's better suited to someone else. Odds are that if they like one of your books, they're going to talk, so they probably won't end up signing both at once. It could also become awkward if one tries to pass one of your manuscripts on to the other editor. Also, if they did sign both, you'd need to put your energy into marketing two books instead of one.

If the editors handle different genres, this is not going to happen. It just isn't. As for marketing, despite all the hype, that's the last thing writers need to worry about.