William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Country music legend, and Oildale native, Merle Haggard has passed away on his birthday. He was 79-years-old.

The singer-songwriter was one of the pioneers of the Bakersfield sound. Haggard was also involved in the Outlaw Country movement.

In addition to 40 #1 hits, Haggard has won just about every music award. Last month, Haggard's hit "Mama Tried" was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry. Haggard was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1994, he is in the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/country-music-legend-merle-haggard-turned-79-years-old-wednesday

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbEstJ98TcM

[/URL]

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
RIP. 2016 has been brutal.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, ouch, Merle. But thank you for all the songs. I used to have a real snotty attitude about country music, but your great stuff was a big part of educating me how wrong I was.

Go and sing on, you're already missed.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Just about five years ago (August 2011), we made the decision to end our fulltime RV trip and settle in Muskogee (we had visited here about 6 months prior). As we hit the exit ramp off I-44, what comes on the radio but "Okie From Muskogee." I thought it was a pretty cool welcome to the area.

Merle always struck me as one of the Gentlemen of country music.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
RIP Okie from Muskogee

Merle Haggard has passed at 79.

Merle Haggard, the grizzled country music legend whose songs such as "Okie from Muskogee" and "Fightin' Side of Me" made him a voice for the workingman and the outsider, has died. He was 79.

Haggard died Wednesday, his birthday, of complications from pneumonia at his home in Northern California, his agent Lance Roberts told CNN.

Haggard recorded more than three dozen No. 1 country hits in a musical career that spanned six decades, from the 1960s into the 2010s. He overcame an early life of petty crime and a prison term in San Quentin to develop a rugged, outlaw image that helped sell millions of records.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Well, I'm guessing as the forums' official Okie from Muskogee, I should say most people here hate that song.

But LOVE Merle Haggard.

I think he was a great songwriter, and I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago at an Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame event. He was a lot shorter than I assumed he would be.

He was scheduled to headline a music festival we're having here in June, so I'm thinking now there's going to be an all-star tribute to him instead.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
RIP

agree we've lost some major music dudes this year.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
He was one of my favorites. "Okie from Muskogee" had a catchy rhythm, but I thought he had many others that were better, and I've read that he came to regret the sentiments of that one somewhat himself. I liked almost all his stuff, but especially "Sing Me Back Home" and "Kern River." He'll be greatly missed.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Random but true - Merle and my spouse are cousins. Or rather, spouse's Gramps and Merle were cousins. Grew up together a little bit in California, though Gramps was older (actually born in Muskogee and driven west by the Dust Bowl) and weird family history drove the two coast sides of the family apart. Spouse met him briefly as a little one, iirc.

But the family resemblance trips me out so much. Gramps and Merle could very well have been twins. And spouse is a more delicate version - though it's all there in the brow and nose.

Anyway, this offshoot of the Haggard family tree will miss you, Merle.