AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Dragonblade Publishing

practical experience, FTW stormowl7's Avatar

Dragonblade Publishing

http://dragonbladepublishing.com/

They've been around since 2012. The covers I've seen from them (especially on Facebook) are really nice...Has anyone published with them?

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    Every title I can find on Amazon--and there are a lot of them, some of which seem to be selling well, too--is by Kathryn Le Veque, which combined with their site and FB dating back to about Feb. 7, 2016 makes it look like a self-publishing label that might be branching out to submissions.

In which case, wait some more.

Stormowl, I'm genuinely in awe of your ability to find interesting little niche publishers but I always wonder if you've tried agents and the larger small publishers? Mostly I'm just curious, but a lot of the pubs you ask about also tend to have the same issues: no real experience, no real track record of sales, etc. I don't mean to be snippy, but you've been around here awhile and surely these warning signs must jump out at you, too? You obviously do a lot of research so I totally respect that you have your reasons for the houses you're targeting. I just feel like a lot of these questions have the same answer and want to make sure you're asking that question for yourself, too. In the end, folks here can only advise.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Scarodactyl's Avatar
    I find it a bit jarring that a publisher named Dragonblade isn't particularly looking for fantasy (outside of urban). I wonder if that could be a problem for future marketing if they're trying to work with different genres.
    Avatar from The Princess Planet by Brian McLachlan

practical experience, FTW stormowl7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryBigBeard View Post
    Every title I can find on Amazon--and there are a lot of them, some of which seem to be selling well, too--is by Kathryn Le Veque, which combined with their site and FB dating back to about Feb. 7, 2016 makes it look like a self-publishing label that might be branching out to submissions.

In which case, wait some more.

Stormowl, I'm genuinely in awe of your ability to find interesting little niche publishers but I always wonder if you've tried agents and the larger small publishers? Mostly I'm just curious, but a lot of the pubs you ask about also tend to have the same issues: no real experience, no real track record of sales, etc. I don't mean to be snippy, but you've been around here awhile and surely these warning signs must jump out at you, too? You obviously do a lot of research so I totally respect that you have your reasons for the houses you're targeting. I just feel like a lot of these questions have the same answer and want to make sure you're asking that question for yourself, too. In the end, folks here can only advise.

I started querying agents at first, and when I ran out, went with publishers, including smaller presses. At this point, because the responses are often the same for my query "strong writing, great query, but paranormal is too hard to sell." I figured I'd check all the venues.

And yes, a lot of the small presses I ask about don't have much info on them, but that's why I ask here - to see/talk to writers who have published with those publishers in question, and hear about their experiences.
    Last edited by stormowl7; 04-06-2016 at 02:48 AM.

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stormowl7 View Post
    I started querying agents at first, and when I ran out, went with publishers, including smaller presses. At this point, because the responses are often the same for my query "strong writing, great query, but paranormal is too hard to sell." I figured I'd check all the venues.

And yes, a lot of the small presses I ask about don't have much info on them, but that's why I ask here - to see/talk to writers who have published with those publishers in question, and hear about their experiences.
    Cool. Totally fair approach and I figured it was something like that.

It is always good to have at least a short thread here as a stub for others looking for info. Props for all the work you do finding these places.

This publisher will be taking pitches at the InD'Scribe conference in Burbank in a couple weeks. I agree I would have expected them to be a fantasy publisher, but it seems their focus is historical romance.