Book Recommendation Scavenger Hunt

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the thirds of writing a new novel, but there elements to it I wish either knew more about or had more inspiration for. So I'm looking for novels that show or discuss these elements. Genre doesn't matter.

I'm looking for books about:

- centered around dark and dangerous cities, where setting is described well or at least plays a big part.

- where radiation plays a part. If they get technical, that's totally fine.

- where a Geiger counter is used.

- where there's a pov with a lot of anger

- where a pov is timid and shy

- creepy povs

And...I think that's it for now. It's lot, I know. But any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

----------

(Btw, I don't know if there's already one like this thread in existence, but if it's helpful for other people to use this thread to also ask for books for inspiration for the novels they're writing, feel free to go for it.)

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Metro 2033, post-apocalyptic novel set in the Moscow underground after a nuclear cataclysm. It also has an incredible ending.
The road doesn't have nuclear elements - or speech marks - but McCarthy is excellent with sparse but effective description.
World made by hand isn't nuclear either, rather a culmination of a lot of things that lead to a dystopia.
I am legend spends most of its time in suburbs or the city, and the narrator switches between rational and livid a fair bit.
The last man by Mary Shelley is rich in description.

Don't limit yourself to books though. Films like Mad Max, Children of men, A boy and his dog, On the beach etc can sometimes be more useful than descriptions in books. After all, it's easy to more of less copy down what other writer's have said, but watching images can help you originate your own descriptions.