CIA leaves explosives on school bus for days after a drill

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not an April Fools Day joke. The CIA forgot some of their explosive stuff and left it on the school bus they had borrowed for their exercise. The bus stayed in use for two days before the material was discovered.

The bus then remained in service for two days, transporting students to a high school and two elementary schools, before the explosive material was found during routine maintenance, the sheriff's office says in a statement.

According to a statement from the school district, the bus carrying the material "made eight runs totaling 145 miles carrying 26 students attending Rock Ridge High School, Buffalo Trail Elementary School and Pinebrook Elementary School."

The CIA put the material in the bus as part of a regular joint exercise to train explosives-sniffing dogs....

The material was under the hood of the bus, and not in the passenger area. It was described after it was found as being "incredibly stable" and "benign".

I feel so safe now.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please tell me the CIA is on the Federal Watch List.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
This is just as much on the bus driver as it is on the CIA. Drivers are supposed to inspect their buses before a run, aren't they?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
This is just as much on the bus driver as it is on the CIA. Drivers are supposed to inspect their buses before a run, aren't they?

He did. Apparently, the material had slipped down so much that it was only found when the bus was taken into the garage to do a routine, more thorough inspection. I'm trying to find the article I read that had this info in it.

ETA: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8f9824-f78d-11e5-a3ce-f06b5ba21f33_story.html

He said school bus drivers check under the hoods of their buses before they take them out on the road, but the package was wedged too far deep inside the engine compartment and was the same color as the hoses, so it could not easily be seen.

Last edited:

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not an April Fools Day joke. The CIA forgot some of their explosive stuff and left it on the school bus they had borrowed for their exercise. The bus stayed in use for two days before the material was discovered.

The material was under the hood of the bus, and not in the passenger area. It was described after it was found as being "incredibly stable" and "benign".

I feel so safe now.

:Jaw: There's no procedure to ensure all explosive materials have been accounted for? They don't count to make sure they've collected everything?

Granted in this case the plastic explosive probably never posed a hazard, but it could just as easily been something much less inert.

Don't know. If the CIA was hiding the material for a field test I wouldn't expect a driver, assuming the driver was even aware that his bus had been borrowed, to find it on a routine inspection.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It has been more than 20 years since I was a school bus driver, but I don't recall ever being directed to open the engine compartment in my daily inspections. Not even when I went to driver's test for my CDL.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I once left my wallet and bus pass on a bus when I was about 12. I wasn't used to taking the bus when it happened. It was found by a very nice lady who returned it with all $5 in it. My mom was very grateful to her and grounded me for the weekend.

Can we ground the CIA?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a fine idea.

You can be the one to tell them.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It has been more than 20 years since I was a school bus driver, but I don't recall ever being directed to open the engine compartment in my daily inspections. Not even when I went to driver's test for my CDL.

That was before 9/11, which changed a lot of sop.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah so maybe this was a test and the CIA just wanted to see if the bus drivers were on their toes.

:greenie