PoC general thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Because the rumors of this forum dying have been greatly exaggerated.

And sometimes we need a place to chill and unwind.

Meanwhile...

I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers. I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers. I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers.

Has anyone else noticed white dudes trying to "impress" women of color in bars by arguing with them in really racist condescending ways?

Also, PoC general thread!

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Because the rumors of this forum dying have been greatly exaggerated.

And sometimes we need a place to chill and unwind.

Meanwhile...

I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers. I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers. I will not get involved in arguments with total strangers.

Has anyone else noticed white dudes trying to "impress" women of color in bars by arguing with them in really racist condescending ways?

Also, PoC general thread!

I actually have not...but then again...I haven't been in bars in ages. Like ever. But I'm interested in hearing about this. Wow, just wow.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I haven't been in any bars lately, and I'm not a PoC, but this doesn't surprise me. It's probably a manifestation of a behavior I remember where some white dudes would try to "impress" women of their own race by arguing with them in really sexist, condescending ways. I wonder if this behavior, in both its manifestations, is a form of what is called "negging" today? I'll admit I'm not sure about what negging is, exactly, or why it's supposed to be a good pick up tactic.

I remember one of my roomies and I in college wondering about this guy we knew who was like that. "Does he think women are attracted to guys who really irritate/offend them or something?" we'd ask each other.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Can I join in? I honestly don't know if I count as a PoC. I mean, I'm Latino but my skin is light... Which brings all kinds of mishaps.

Yeah, same here, lol.

(On papers that ask about demographic info, my ethnic background would be Hispanic, but my race would be White. Thus, White Hispanic. I have sisters and cousins who have much darker skin, who are also Hispanic.)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Definitely. It's not the greatest term, but whatever. My skin's not so dark either.

I find it very interesting how the US conception on minorities evolve and many groups assimilate. A few decades ago, people of Ireland, Italy or Poland suffered prejudices many racial or ethnic minorities suffer today. Nowadays, it's no biggie.

I have sisters and cousins who have much darker skin, who are also Hispanic.

Same here, my sister (who has a different father) looks more "conventionally" Hispanic. In my trip to the US many tried to pinpoint where I was from because of my accent, I got Brazilian, Spanish and Puertorican. Also, something I noticed, at least in NYC and Philly, is how city zones do feel racially-separated. I sat on the subway line going from Harlem to Manhattan to Brooklyn and you could tell where were you just by the people who got in.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
How is everyone this weekend?

Babysitting a baby and toddler. So adorable! :)

It's exhausting sometimes, but I just love babysitting and taking care of kids. ^_^

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Doing OK. I'm working now for a Spanish-speaking website focused on the work of Hispanics in the US. Stayed up last night typing the interview I did to a musician over the week -my first interview ever- and now I'm looking for other people to inteview. I just feel the interview was not that interesting so I need to pick better subjects and ask more incisive questions next time.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com

Got lectured on Japanese culture (and attitudes on race and queerness therein) by... someone who isn't Japanese. I kept trying to explain that (1) yes OF COURSE I respect cultural differences, but (2) I know for a fact that Japanese culture is not actually monolithic about these things and that there are Japanese people who have extremely varied opinions on these subjects, some of whom I've talked to personally, and (3) I'm not actually trying to impose my own values on anyone I meet in Japan; I absolutely don't have the standing to activist here even if I wanted to and I'm happy being an advocate within my own Western culture where there's plenty of work to do, but that also doesn't mean I'm going to be okay with someone telling me Japanese people are racist or homophobic and wait it's okay because "it's their cultural norms!!" and anyway it's not really racism because "they don't think of it that way!!!" and OH BY THE WAY THE PERSON LECTURING ME IS NOT ACTUALLY JAPANESE.

*headwall*

Meanwhile the Japanese people I've actually talked to about sensitive topics like race and nuclear weapons have had deeply complex understandings and opinions, you know, LIKE LOTS OF PEOPLE EVERYWHERE DO.

For bonus points, got told "I know you're very sensitive about this stuff but..." NO, WRONG, I am not nearly sensitive enough. I am a not-naturally-empathetic person who tries very hard to be more empathetic and gain understandings of people unlike me because I think it makes me a better human. Honestly I think the people who are more sensitive about it are better people than I am -- why is being "sensitive" not seeing as a POSITIVE trait?! My mom, for instance, is one of the most sensitive, compassionate people I can think of, and I have so much respect for these qualities in her.

ARGH.

Oh, and good thread, Kuwi. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, gotta love being lectured about a culture by someone not actually from that culture.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I know, right?

Thanks for letting me vent at y'all. ;)

eta: in better news, just sent the fifth novel in my series off for beta :greenie

Last edited:

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Erm...I suppose I count as a PoC, though I would never use that term in Real Life. Irish and Japanese here, which means that I'm paler than some white people. Also, apparently, I'm every other ethnicity ever...although since I'm from New York City, that's not really that surprising.

And SL: I echo Lillith's sentiment. Tune 'em out and tell them to bite it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I find it sad how hard mixed-race people have it in the US when in my own country over 60% of the people are mixed race and never had the feeling to "pick a side" many in the US seem to feel. But then again, that brings a whole set of issues too.

EDIT: PALINDROME POST

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Erm...I suppose I count as a PoC, though I would never use that term in Real Life. Irish and Japanese here, which means that I'm paler than some white people. Also, apparently, I'm every other ethnicity ever...although since I'm from New York City, that's not really that surprising.

And SL: I echo Lillith's sentiment. Tune 'em out and tell them to bite it.

*tackle hugs*

I'm mixed too, so I would say mixed counts. Speaking of being mixed, it has an interesting effect on physical appearence wouldn't you say? Hair texture and curl pattern/lack of, skintone, facial features and such are all a bit impossible to predict with a mixed child.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say I really like it when people don't express themselves as fractions?

My identification card may say "Blood: 1/2", but I'm not half Zuni. I'm Zuni.

Own it. :)

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Both my parents have mixed ethnicities, so to choose one out of five feels kind of arbitrary... but what can I do? "Asian-white" mixes everything together, and saying "Quarter Filipino, quarter Polish, one-eight Japanese" etc takes too long.

I say I'm Filipino, but even that feels silly to say that in real life since we have a lot of Filipinos actually from the Philippines living in the area.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Can I just say I really like it when people don't express themselves as fractions?

My identification card may say "Blood: 1/2", but I'm not half Zuni. I'm Zuni.

Own it. :)

I understand feeling a connection to one or more identities if one grows with them (After all, my brother is German-Venezuelan-American) But I find it a bit creepy when people start grasping threads with 1/8, 1/16, etc. I have met people who do the most strenous relationship to some distant European ancestor to proclaim themselves apart from the rest of the "Riff-raff". I mean, my great-grandfather was a Spaniard but I feel no connection to Spain besides enjoying paella.

*tackle hugs*

I'm mixed too, so I would say mixed counts. Speaking of being mixed, it has an interesting effect on physical appearence wouldn't you say? Hair texture and curl pattern/lack of, skintone, facial features and such are all a bit impossible to predict with a mixed child.

There are dominant and recessive genes, tough. So, some features are far more common than others.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
There are dominant and recessive genes, tough. So, some features are far more common than others.

Sure. But that's a given within ethnic groups too and not just with mixed people.

As for people claiming things beyond 1/4, that's their choice and a valid one depending on why they're doing it. Some mixed people or those from highly creolized cultures claim all their heritage because they enjoy that sense of connection and want to honor their ancestors. I know that I can fully list mine, and I'm comfortable with all of it.

I mostly go by Black or mulatto, but if someone who's Indian asks me if my dad is Indian when my hair is straight, something that has happened fairly often when my hair is straight ever since I was a toddler? Well, I just say my one of my grandads was second generation anglo-Indian of the half-european half-indian variety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.