PoC general thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I've generally found Spanish speakers to give considerable points for effort and correct pronunciation. My Dutch is objectively far, far better than my Spanish: I have a good grasp of the grammar and a strong enough vocabulary that I can read novels in it for pleasure. Yet, the Dutch bristle at it and make continuous minor corrections.

My Spanish, on the other hand, is rough as all hell, and barely approaches pidgin when I leave my areas of comfort. Still, whenever I use it, I am greeted with encouragement and smiles.

Thank you for that point of view and telling me your own experience.

This does make me feel better and really glad that most other Latino and Hispanic people are very friendly and encouraging with this, then, though I still sometimes bristle against their judgments made about my mother and me for not speaking enough Spanish.

That's been my experience with Spanish speakers as well. Several members of my dojo are from various parts of the Spanish speaking world, with varying degrees of English proficiency; this has prompted me to start brushing up my HS Spanish, and I've had nothing but encouragement from them.

Yes, when they find other people who speak some of it, they tend to get very friendly and become much more warmer (or more familiar) towards them.

It just sucks when some of them do get a little judgmental towards me in being fluent in English and not Spanish (being that I am a Puerto Rican born from Puerto Rican parents and family).

Still, I do feel blessed with a loving family and surrounded by nice, friendly people. :)

Anyway, I hope everyone has a happy holiday coming up.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a holiday coming up? Hadn't noticed... :D
Hehe, I said it in case I haven't posted in a while before the holiday break/holidays, but it looks like I'm posting again anyway. :p

I'm thinking of doing an ancestry thing one day in the future. I want to know if I have some Spanish blood which could explain my (and one of my sister's) lighter skin tone. It could give me some reassurance of why I don't feel like I look like most other Latinos here (and in the media entertainment)...

I don't know how the ancestry process-thing works, though.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe, I said it in case I haven't posted in a while before the holiday break/holidays, but it looks like I'm posting again anyway. :p

I'm thinking of doing an ancestry thing one day in the future. I want to know if I have some Spanish blood which could explain my (and one of my sister's) lighter skin tone. It could give me some reassurance of why I don't feel like I look like most other Latinos here (and in the media entertainment)...

I don't know how the ancestry process-thing works, though.

You pay c. 100.00 (the price fluctuates a bit).
They send you a swab kit (a large Q-tip type thing) which you use to collect skin cells from your cheek, inside your mouth. You put it in the container they send you and send it back.

DNA doesn't work the way you might think though.

Think of a single aspect; say skin color.

There are a bunch of switches, which can be set to On meaning the gene is "expressed" in you or Off, meaning you carry the gene and could pass it on, but it isn't expressed in you.

The report only looks at what you carry, not what's On for you.

Moreover, you could have an ancestor fifteen or more generations ago who gave you a gene for a particular skin tone or degree of pigment that all of your cousins and siblings carry, but you have it set to On.

See: http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics/human-skin-color-variation

(Geneticists and biologists, I know this is crude, but it's an analogy).

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
You pay c. 100.00 (the price fluctuates a bit).
They send you a swab kit (a large Q-tip type thing) which you use to collect skin cells from your cheek, inside your mouth. You put it in the container they send you and send it back.

DNA doesn't work the way you might think though.

Think of a single aspect; say skin color.

There are a bunch of switches, which can be set to On meaning the gene is "expressed" in you or Off, meaning you carry the gene and could pass it on, but it isn't expressed in you.

The report only looks at what you carry, not what's On for you.

Moreover, you could have an ancestor fifteen or more generations ago who gave you a gene for a particular skin tone or degree of pigment that all of your cousins and siblings carry, but you have it set to On.

See: http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics/human-skin-color-variation

(Geneticists and biologists, I know this is crude, but it's an analogy).

Sorry for not responding earlier! I've been preoccupied and busy lately. ^_^;;

Thank you for the information.

On the reports, do they not mention what % of each racial/ethnicity component one has? Like, if it's 69% European and the rest is African, or something like that? Wouldn't that % give me a vague hint that maybe I had more of one type than another?

I read the whole article in the link, and I think I knly only understood some parts of it, but it did seem interesting (well, the parts I did understand, lol).

In the top picture with all of the girls of varying skin tones, my skin tone is like the two girls in the middle (this yellow-ish tint), with my body and limbs becoming tanner/darker in the sun something like a couple of darker shades of couple of girls girls on the right of the middle girls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.